Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > DVD-RAM in Quicksilver G4 867?

DVD-RAM in Quicksilver G4 867?
Starfrog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2001, 04:56 AM

I have a Quicksilver G4 867mhz with the DVD-R superdrive built-in. My question is can I use DVD-Ram in this drive? or is it DVD-RW? I have tried inserting a DVD-Ram 4.7GB disk in it but it just doenst show up as a CD (os x doenst see it or even mount it) I would just like to use the large DVD capacity to do backups rather than have multiple CD's
Regards

Starfrog
G4 Quicksilver 867 Mhz 1.5 Gig Ram 80GB HD Geforce3 17'Apple LCD Soundsticks + iSub External Lacie 16x10x40 CDRW Epson C80 Printer Canon Scanner 650U and Powermac 5400 all-in-on :) LC 575 all-in-one and a Bag of Jellybeans

JoeG4
Senior User
Dec 16, 2001, 08:08 AM

The superdrive (like mine) uses DVD-R disks, which you can get at sears for $13 or on yahoo shopping for a little bit more than $6.

They hold 4.7gb, and can only be writtne once, unfortunately
I have quit MacNN effective at 5:00:00 PM, January 25, 2001.

Goodbye. (nobody banned me)

Telomar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2001, 09:13 AM

Only a DVD-RAM drive can read DVD-RAM disks.

The superdrive is actually a DVD-RW although it isn't supported as such. Ask someone else I'm not really 100% familiar with the ones in the QS.

Personally I prefer DVD-RAM but the down side is that aspect of requiring another DVD-RAM drive to read the media. The media also tends to be a little more costly too.

[ 12-16-2001: Message edited by: Telomar ]

nana2
Senior User
Dec 16, 2001, 11:56 AM

Long live DVD+RW!

tr
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2001, 12:37 PM

Only a DVD-RAM drive can read DVD-RAM disks.
actually, when i had my original DVD-ROM in my G4 450 Sawtooth, i could read DVD-RAM type II (removeable disks). previously, i backed up my mp3's on a DVD-RAM drive that i once had, and then i put my ROM drive back in to see if i could read the DVD-RAM, and it worked. unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at things) now i have put a Pioneer DVR-A03 in my G4, and it can't read DVD-RAM type II (removeable) disks...it even says so in some tech specs i found somewhere on the web. no biggie...i'll just have to do another backup to DVD-R, and with a disk being $5, it's a lot more economical than DVD-RAM.

But i really liked the fuctionality of DVD-RAM, it was just like a removeable hard drive, which brings me to this: do you think any DVD+RW will be mac compatible? or do you think apple will support +RW? it's almost like deja-vu, when apple put DVD-RAM drives in the G4's, and then DVD-R came around, and now apple doesn't even mention DVD-RAM...

sorry, got a little off topic...

tr

Paul S
Senior User
Dec 17, 2001, 12:08 PM

DVD+RW might not be officially supported by Apple (yet?), but Toast Titanium will burn them with no problem.

tr
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2001, 04:30 AM

what i'd really be interested in is whether anyone has successfully installed an IDE DVD+RW drive in a G4 and have it work with iDVD or DVD Studio Pro.

anyone, anyone...?

tr

Forum Links
Forum Rules