Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Slide/Film Scanner Comments?

Slide/Film Scanner Comments?
tjcrebs
Feb 22, 2001, 12:43 AM

Has anyone tried the $199.95, Pacific Image PrimeFilm-1800i USB slide/film scanner?

The 1800i looks great for my old 35mm slides (of the 3500-BC silver mines near Laurion, Greece)--while the commercial slide-scanners in Denver are quoting $5/slide-scan.

The reviews on the Pacific Image website look good, but I haven't yet found any independent review at cnet.com or on this board. Here's the website for this 1800-dpi, USB slide/film-scanner:
http://www.scanace.com

Any and all comments would be much appreciated. I'd like a bit of independent input before I'm tempted to order one from Outpost.com.

Thanx in advance, T.

tallone
Feb 23, 2001, 12:06 AM

Can't comment on the scanner your asking about but here is my two cents worth on the topic.
I would wait and save for the new nikon usb scanner. 2900dpi and full version of altamira fractal and usual photoshop(LE) software. Quite sure it is worth saving for!!! Just saw it on the B+H website for just under $900, which is great for the quality and performance. With it you'll never really need to upgrade to another film scanner. The $200 spent on the Pacific Image scanner in my opinion is better put towards more dpi. Also there is almost a definite chance you'll want better scans than 1800 dpi can give you.
Hope this gives you some guidance. Sorry if it didn't give any info on the scanner you questioned about. If 1800dpi works well for your uses....then $200 isn't bad at all for a scanner. Definitely hard to pass up without checking out!!

tjcrebs  (op)
Feb 23, 2001, 01:18 AM

Thanx Tall,

Appreciated your comments and your Nikon-USB recommendation.

But, I already ordered the PI-1800i this afternoon. I should get it tomorrow. I'll put it thru it's paces and report back if I think it's worth $200. (I've been very pleased with my $100 USB-powered Artec-1236 flatbed.)

Regards, T.

tjcrebs  (op)
Feb 23, 2001, 05:29 PM

Got the $200, Pacific Image 1800i slide-scanner this morning.

I'm finding that 1800-dpi is more than enough resolution for my 35mm slides, and that this film/slide scanner yields fairly good JPEG images of my slides.

The bundled software pacjkages (Presto!PageManager, Mr. Photo Gold, and PhotoAlbum) are not very good, but the scanner's TWAIN interface software (CyberView) works well with Photo-Deluxe. I wish Cyberview didn't always start-up with each reBoot, though.

I've scanned about 8 slides this morning, and from my limited experience, I give it a subjective 3.5-stars rating out of 5-stars. I'm fairly pleased with the purchase.

Regards, T.

Forum Links
Forum Rules