Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Printers: HP 970 or Epson Stylus 980?

Printers: HP 970 or Epson Stylus 980?
Dov
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2001, 11:06 AM

I have been doing some research for an ink jet printer, and the two that I have basically decided to choos between are the HP DeskJet 970, which I can get for about $255 including shipping, and the Epson Stylus 980, which I can get at outpost for $199 after $50 rebate (free Shipping). The other printer that I think I can reject is the Epson Stylus 900, which I think the 980 improves upon, but I am not sure about that either (so if anyone has any info on that as well, it would be great). Basically, I will be printing mostly text and web pages, although when i print pics, i want the quality to be good. From what i have read, ink replacement costs are significantly less on epsons. And also, there is more and better software included on the epsons. Due to the price, and from what I have read about the Epson 980, i am inclined to go with that. But the HP also happened to have gotten rave reviews. Am I comparing Apples and Oranges on these two printers? Or are they very similair? Finally, which one should I get? Is the HP worth the extra $$ ? Thanks in advance for all your help!
dov

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2001, 11:24 AM

I'm not familiar with the Epson, but my HP 970 has been great, and the reviews are justified. I'm especially happy with the automatic double-sided printing - it has spoiled me and now I don't think I'd be happy without this feature.

Dov  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2001, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by zigzag:
I'm not familiar with the Epson, but my HP 970 has been great, and the reviews are justified. I'm especially happy with the automatic double-sided printing - it has spoiled me and now I don't think I'd be happy without this feature.
How's the text printing, especially on cheaper paper?

tjcrebs
Mar 12, 2001, 12:48 PM

Hi Dov,

Me too, it came down to the Epson-980 or the HP-970 for me recently. I bought the HP-970 for the following reasons:

1) significantly better text-printing for the HP;

2) duplex (2-sided) printing is a very nice feature;

3) almost as good photo printing (I gave the Epson the nod here though);

4) HP cartridges were more readily available; and,

5) I thought the HP was better built--the Epson appeared flimsy in spots.

The above are definately subjective; but Consumer Reports also gave the nod to the HP-970 rating it as the Best inkjet you can buy. I've had mine for over a month now, and I've been very pleased with the HP-970--fast and very quiet too.

Good Luck, T.

PeteWK
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2001, 02:05 AM

Hey! What kind of crap is this!? My post was cleared out when they changed over the servers (or whatever).

Anyway, I own the 900 Epson and I bought my Secretary the HP 970Cse so I can shed some light here. The Epson is ideal for desktop publishing due to speed and pass through paper feed. Even heavy paper and card stock runs through flawlessly. I print 1000 (you read that right) church bulletins in one production run without a hitch, including a 3 x 4 picture. Each one takes about 11 seconds on the Epson.

The HP does an equally good job but has problems with frequent jams. I admit that I use my inkjets as printers, but this is a good comparison. The HP just doesn't cut it when it comes to the heavy paper and the large number of copies. The major reason is the front / bottom loading paper. If I were only to do black text, the HP would be great (it is a little better but not as much as some claim). But I'm much more demanding of my printers.

Bottom line is that they're both great. But if I could only have one, it would be the Epson hands down.

PeteWK

Forum Links
Forum Rules