Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > power book 520

power book 520
m2295
Aug 19, 2000, 11:34 AM

can it be up graded? suggestions? any experience with radio shack repairs of power books?

tjcrebs
Aug 20, 2000, 01:49 PM

Sure you can upgrade the 66-Mhz 68040i (stock CPU with no floating point) to a 117-Mhz PowerPC 603e if you can find a NewerTechnology or Apple CPU upgrade card--they haven't been manufacturered for about three/four (?) years though.

You can add memory too; maximum meory for the 500 series was 36-meg of RAM, (4-meg on the CPU card plus a "maximum" 32-Meg memory module.)

Finally you can upgrade the hardrive; check out http://store.powerbook1.com/harddrives.html for 2.5" SCSI 6.4-Gig hardrive for $399.

I know of NO way you can upgrade the internal 19.2Kbps (Global Village) modem, though (i.e., kinda slow for serious web surfing.)

I love my PowerPC-upgraded 540c, but it's stuck with MacOS-8.0; the last system recommended for PPC-upgraded "Blackbird" Powerbooks (520-540 series.)

BTW, your 520 is over five years old now, your 520's PRAM battery should be replaced too--to keep the date in it current. This is not an easy task either--I recommend having your repair shop replace the PRAM battery.

By the time you've upgraded your 520 to a somewhat modern (but-retro) laptop, you may spend almost as much as for a NEW Blueberry or Tangerine iBook. I wouldn't upgrade if I was you.

I would never let my local Radio Shack work on any Mac or Powerbook--find a local Mac shop or try CompUSA (e.g., they sometimes have great Mac trouble-shooting techs here.)

Good Luck,
Terry J. Crebs
Lakewood, Colorado

Forum Links
Forum Rules