Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Missing: 32mb of ram!

Missing: 32mb of ram!
mikeirwin
Apr 29, 2000, 02:55 AM

I just purchased an original ibook 300 with 3.2 gb hd. I also purchased a 64mb ram module and installed it. The ibook only shows that it has 64mb built-in memory. The module is a butterfly B-4 64mb, desc.: 144p/3.3v/sdram/ub/64bit/8x64-10ns/66MHz /8x8/4k/SPD/1Bank. purchased at Frys in Sacto CA. sealed package etc.
Does anyone know what could have happened to the other 32mb of ram? Shouldn't it have 96mb?

wlonh
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2000, 09:42 AM

it was not installed just exactly right, is my guess... it is not seated properly and therefore is MIA

Zwilnik
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2000, 11:06 AM

for it to show only 64mb of ram, either the ram on the motherboard must have failed (which would probably crash the machine), or you've been sold a 32mb sodimm mislabeled as a 64mb. Try taking the chip out and seeing if the machine still has 32megs. Then try putting it back in carefully, making sure that it is fully seated. If it still shows just 64mb, you might have been sold a 32meg chip by mistake.
From what I've seen so far, badly connected dims tend to fail completely, rather than by halves.
Aaron

shyne
Apr 29, 2000, 11:21 AM

i have seen something somewhere in a forum about the on board 32 meg chip being bad. the same report [to my recollection] said that apple shipped the person a box next day w/ prepaid return shipping. that person also had extra ram and the machine booted.

sorry i don't remember where i saw it. but definitely take out the extra dimm to rule out a mislabeled chip, as suggested above.

wlonh
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2000, 11:34 AM

damn, one of these days i will learn to read

mikeirwin
Apr 29, 2000, 01:40 PM

Thanks for all your quick responses. I took out the chip and the ibook registered 32mb on-board ram, so I know it's not a problem with the on-board ram, and if the ram I installed shows up as only 32mb more ram, then the chip is OK but probably mis-labeled. I was thinking that the problem might be software or system related, but your responses don't indicate any of that (which would probably be a known prob. at this point). I'm taking it back to Frys today. The machine I bought was a return but the ram was new, so I hope Frys doesn't give me any probs.
Thanks, Mike

dmw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2000, 03:07 PM

I just sent back a ram chip to Coast to Coast Memory for the same reason. I ordered a 128 meg chip. First, they sent the wrong size chip. It was huge. So I sent it back. Then they sent the right size and it was even labeled '128' with a little sticker on the chip, but my iBook says it's only a 64 meg chip. So, I sent it back again.......

mikeirwin
Apr 29, 2000, 04:16 PM

I just got back from Frys and the ram they sold me was the wrong kind. Where the desc. stated b-4 64mb it should be b-3 64mb and where it was 8x64 it should have read 16x64. Also FYI, the sales guy told me that the 128 chip was $400, so I opted for 64 at $119. Well today I found out that the 128 was really $229, so I got that and installed it and the machine recognizes the total of 160mb. Problem solved. Thanks Again. See ya

shyne
Apr 30, 2000, 02:11 PM

what are the specs on your new ram in sys profiler?

i got mine from crucial memory (10% off about 2 weeks ago) 128mb for $125, but my specs show it as "DIMM1/J12" and under memory type it is blank (while the built in 32meg says "SDRAM". alright, but above there where it says "built in memory :" it says PC100-333s. is that what everyone else's says or is that spec altered by the extra dimm?

so people, what do you think?
if i got marginally slower ram i'm not worried this was close to the cheapest prices i found, and i doubt that the UMA-2 portables will take the ram used by UMA-1 iBooks so i don't see the reason to pay a premium for ram that will never go to a faster machine. correct me if i'm off base, please.

-shyne

mikeirwin
May 1, 2000, 03:09 AM

My system profiler says the same thing. Sounds like you got a good deal on the ram, I guess I could'nt wait and shop around a little. I think I got a good deal on the ibook though, $999.00 for an open box machine. Seems to be working fine so far.

Forum Links
Forum Rules