Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > "We are a peace loving nation...

"We are a peace loving nation... (Page 2)
Lerkfish
Oct 7, 2002, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:
Or too military. What's your background? King of battle? I was an 11M. My only experience with call for fire was in EIB training - I never did it for real. I did get to watch an amazing livefire copperhead demonstation once. None of this fire for effect stuff with those. One shot, one kill!
I killed a spider and a rolypoly bug this morning in my bathroom. Is that too militant?

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2002, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:

I killed a spider and a rolypoly bug this morning in my bathroom. Is that too militant?
Did you use a chemical weapon?

Chuckmcd
Senior User
Oct 7, 2002, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by El Pre$idente:

Soem fo the religious surely can invent evidence, but it is impossible to deny the latest research which has been agreed upon so widely. If a Jewish professor says the kingdom of Solomon never existed then that is quite a strong statement. It hurts even the Muslims (who believe in the Jewish literature too).
ACK! You honestly think that sort of stuff only happens one side? I mean no offense, El Pre$idente, but you seem to be willingly naive about your causes. It seems to me that you villify the people you don't agree with and raise those you want to back to some hero status.... reminds of an Oliver Stone movie.

Chuckmcd
Senior User
Oct 7, 2002, 11:33 AM

Yes it does... You probably beat your children too

Lerkfish
Oct 7, 2002, 11:35 AM

Did you use a chemical weapon?
no, my bare hands...er...fingers.

well...there was a kleenex involved. (isn't there always?). Is kleenex a chemical?

El Pre$idente
Banned
Oct 7, 2002, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by Chuckmcd:

ACK! You honestly think that sort of stuff only happens one side? I mean no offense, El Pre$idente, but you seem to be willingly naive about your causes. It seems to me that you villify the people you don't agree with and raise those you want to back to some hero status.... reminds of an Oliver Stone movie.
So please show me an example of secular humanists inventing archaeological evidence and I'll show you ten examples of religionists doing the same. And please, in detail.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2002, 11:45 AM

well...there was a kleenex involved. (isn't there always?). Is kleenex a chemical?
In the army they call them decon wipes. Break the vial, knead, open packet, drop container of broken vial and packet to ground. Wipe skin and sear it with nasty chemicals in the hopes you don't do the dying cockroach. Ick!

But the training ones containing just alcohol are just the thing for removing goopy face camouflage paint.

Speckledstone
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2002, 11:48 AM

Or too military. What's your background? King of battle? I was an 11M. My only experience with call for fire was in EIB training - I never did it for real. I did get to watch an amazing livefire copperhead demonstation once. None of this fire for effect stuff with those. One shot, one kill!

3531 - Motor Transport Operator
I didn't see much on the 'incoming' end, but, I was attached to an Artillery Battery. Plus, with the Marine Corps being as small as it is, it's important for the lower ranks to be able to call for indirect fire.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2002, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by speckledstone:

3531 - Motor Transport Operator
I didn't see much on the 'incoming' end, but, I was attached to an Artillery Battery. Plus, with the Marine Corps being as small as it is, it's important for the lower ranks to be able to call for indirect fire.
Cool! My cousin was motor-T in the Marine Corps. He was stationed at Quantico.

Marines seem to do the "everyone is an infantryman" thing better than the Army does. I initially went through non-combat arms basic and the training on things like call for fire was rudimentary at best. I went back through infantry training later and that was better, but it really wasn't until I got to a unit that we learned it properly.

I guess looking back on it we did cover things like call for fire in the basic non-commissioned officer's course (PLDC) which everyone does together. But from my grunt's perspective, the combat skills training was still pretty bad. I'll never forget the time the instructor teaching patrolling put us into a hasty assembly area that was bisected by a road. He was a tanker and he still thought that high speed avenues of approach were his friend.

Speckledstone
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 7, 2002, 12:25 PM

I'll never forget the time the instructor teaching patrolling put us into a hasty assembly area that was bisected by a road. He was a tanker and he still thought that high speed avenues of approach were his friend.
Yeah, its always great when the �higher-up�s� don�t have a clue. For the most part everyone I dealt with was �locked-on�. Except for the time when our XO (who just got done with some dog and pony show billet in DC) got our Battery lost during a CAX (he must have been related to your tanker buddy ). It�s kinda demotivating when an inspector notifies you that your entire unit has been wiped out in a friendly air strike. He didn�t last too long as an XO.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2002, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by speckledstone:
It�s kinda demotivating when an inspector notifies you that your entire unit has been wiped out in a friendly air strike. He didn�t last too long as an XO.
I had a CO like that. One Hohenfels he drove our Bradley company through a marked chemically-contaminated area without telling anyone to go to MOPP-4. We then had to sit for 4 hours while the medics notionally burned our corpses in a heap.

L'enfanTerrible  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2002, 04:25 PM

*bump* as a result of hearing that Saddam has pledged to work with the UN W-Inspectors, even if they toughen up their resolutions.

Strange that certain highlights of world events seem to ebb and flow in the media. Whatever works for them, right? Draws the big ratings.

L'enfanTerrible  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2002, 04:28 PM

Also, this is a perfect example of a "thread hi-jack" if anyone needs clarification.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2002, 07:51 PM

We are a nation that LOVES war

Seriously.

Since when are we a peace loving nation?

Joshua
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2002, 08:35 PM

Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

Usama's Carcase
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2002, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by L'enfanTerrible:
*bump* as a result of hearing that Saddam has pledged to work with the UN W-Inspectors, even if they toughen up their resolutions.

Strange that certain highlights of world events seem to ebb and flow in the media. Whatever works for them, right? Draws the big ratings.
funny guy, that Saddam. didn't seem too interested in working with the inspectors until the US threatened to shove a great big missile up his tail end.

Last time I talked to him we had a great laugh over how stupid the UN looks. It passes resolution after resolution and can't enforce it. It's been great for me and Saddam--the only thing we need to prosper is for good men to do nothing.
( Last edited by Usama's Carcase; Nov 5, 2002 at 11:28 PM. )

I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2002, 09:13 PM

Unarmed combat with spiders. Impressive.

Don't come to Australia though. They fight back here.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2002, 11:23 PM

Australian spiders are no joke! My brother-in-law was there for a while and he tells some stories that sound like b-grade horror movies. Big hairy mothers with attitude. Australia has something like 4 of the 5 deadliest snakes in the world and 3 of the 4 deadliest spiders. But the kangaroos are cool!

And just to weigh in on the egg v. tofu subject: Eggs good. Tofu bad.

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2002, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by El Pre$idente:
Millennium, shut up. Every liberal in the world, every liberal Jew who voted for the Democrats (and thats a lot of Californians and New Yorkers with Israeli passports too) knew that the Republicans always have a 'hands off peace but sell arms' policy to Israel. It's always been that way. You can write all you want to refute it but you're not part of the community effected then you're an outside observer just making excuses. An alien.
Sweet Zombie Jesus, you are now the official King of Hypocrites. Last time I checked, you weren't posting from your TiBook and watching movies on your l33t PC home theater in a refugee tent in Israel. I'd say that makes you just as much an outsider as Mil. So how about you take your own advice for a while, bub, and can it.

Oh, and this gem too:

If a Jewish professor says the kingdom of Solomon never existed then that is quite a strong statement.
Why? What does his being Jewish have to do with it? I don't see what a person's ethnicity or religion has to do with their ability to do research. Yet, you imply his conclusions are more valid or weighty because the researcher is Jewish. You just posted a thread about slamming racism, and here you are pulling it out.

--Josh

Speckledstone
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2002, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by Face Ache:

Unarmed combat with spiders. Impressive.

Don't come to Australia though. They fight back here.
We�ve got a couple that will fight back too, like :
or

You Australians have got a lot more to worry about though. I�ll bet there are a lot fewer Australians, compared to Americans, that walk around barefoot.

Forum Links
Forum Rules