Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Could the myth of the American Dream be influencing Iraqis to dance in the streets?

Could the myth of the American Dream be influencing Iraqis to dance in the streets? (Page 2)
Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2003, 06:42 PM

Originally posted by joelcpa:
Fine, so we are inconsistent in applying the Geneva convention. I'm still not sure how that causes terrorism, but we are inconsistent nonetheless.

No, a puppet regime is when a country's government is not controlled by its own people, but by another country. The US has indicated they will do everything they can to get a government comprised of Iraqi people as quickly as possible. Obviously, that won't happen by Monday, but the US has not given any indication they want to stay in Iraq any longer than necessary. And as you state, it hasn't happened yet, so we don't know how it will turn out.
It's not just the Geneva convention. But the inconsistancy is one of the major factors causing the anti-western stance in the middle-east. How is the middle-east to trust you when you ship money and weapons technology to one country and then invade the next, all depending on if they are pro-western or anti-western? This is what I-m afraid many americans don't realise.

Of course they wouldn't set up a few americans and brits to run the country. But when you choose the ones allowed to partake in the buildup you are indirectly controling in what way they will develop. That is one of the things the middle-east is afraid of.

I will believe that this is not a puppet regime if in 6 months or 12 a new government directly elected by the Iraqi people is elected. Not to mention that any deals the Chalabi/General regime made are canceled and the next one is free to deal with whomever they want.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2006, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by SimeyTheLimey View Post
So we really won't know for a while about democracy. On the other hand, it should be fairly obvious in two or three years whether things are at least better than under Hussein.
Yep.

(Sorry about the ancient thread, but I feel a re-assessment of what was said then is appropriate.)

marden
Baninated
Dec 18, 2006, 10:02 PM

I wasn't around back then but here's what Newt Gingrich says; we went in with a viable plan, small, quick and hard hitting but then switched to an occupation strategy which needs 500,000 minimum to implement but we didn't add the needed manpower to pull off that strategy.

That's it.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Dec 18, 2006, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by marden View Post
I wasn't around back then but here's what Newt Gingrich says; we went in with a viable plan, small, quick and hard hitting but then switched to an occupation strategy which needs 500,000 minimum to implement but we didn't add the needed manpower to pull off that strategy.

That's it.
And nobody saw fit to impose martial law for a while (I expect to keep the libs back home happy). The whole thing would have been done and dusted by now if they had.

marden
Baninated
Dec 18, 2006, 11:08 PM

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2006, 06:53 AM

If that's all Newt Gingrich said then he's an idiot. How can you invade Iraq without an occupation strategy? Once you've toppled the government (even if you don't fire the civil servants) how can you not plan to fill its boots? Everyone knew that 500,000 troops were needed to stabilise Iraq. Everyone except the neocons!

The plan was never viable. Even some of the neocons now admit that.

Sayf-Allah
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 19, 2006, 06:57 AM

That's it.
Why won't you tell an Iraqi that face to face?

"Learn to swim"

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Dec 19, 2006, 08:29 AM

Neocons.
haha
Why don't we all just whip them out right now.

Why was European occupation a "success"?(I personaly think it was a disaster but that's another topic)
Why was Asian occupation a "success"?
"We're" still there.(which I don't think had anything to do with the Cold War)
All men are created equal, but what they do after that point puts them on a sliding scale.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2006, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Sky Captain View Post
Why was European occupation a "success"?(I personaly think it was a disaster but that's another topic)
Because they had the right number of soldiers in place to keep the peace. The UN has a ratio of peacekeepers to civilians that they have developed through various peace-keeping operations. That ratio suggested somewhere north of 500,000 soldiers were needed to stabilise Iraq. That's what most of the generals told Rumsfeld.

marden
Baninated
Dec 19, 2006, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Sayf-Allah View Post
Why won't you tell an Iraqi that face to face?
What's to tell? It was two plans, each one could have worked but not together. It's like they put a mini-van body on a sports car chassis.

It could have succeeded as a sports car or it could have worked as a mini-van. But no one in command made that distinction.

According to Gingrich.

marden
Baninated
Dec 19, 2006, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Troll View Post
Because they had the right number of soldiers in place to keep the peace. The UN has a ratio of peacekeepers to civilians that they have developed through various peace-keeping operations. That ratio suggested somewhere north of 500,000 soldiers were needed to stabilise Iraq. That's what most of the generals told Rumsfeld.
Look at the strategy in Afghanistan. Far fewer troops. We kept things going pretty well there until recently. There was certainly a less chaotic outcome in Afghanistan than in Iraq, despite your pronouncements.

What were the generals telling him about Afghanistan?

And the President (or was it Rummy?) is on record as saying he has never vetoed any requests for increased troop strength from the Generals on the ground.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2006, 10:57 AM

Look at the strategy in Afghanistan. Far fewer troops. We kept things going pretty well there until recently. There was certainly a less chaotic outcome in Afghanistan than in Iraq, despite your pronouncements.
I don't think you understood my point. History teaches us that successful occupations/peace-keeping operations require a minimum troop to civilian ratio of 20 troops per 1,000 civilians. Before going into Iraq, Bush was told that this was the ratio that they needed to use.

There are 25 million people in Iraq which means you need 500,000 soldiers to secure it. In 2003, the US ratio was 6 per 1,000; nearly 4 times too few troops.

When it comes to Afghanistan, you said "until recently". That is precisely the point. Afghanistan is not an example of a successful mission. The ratio there is lower than in Iraq and even lower than Somalia. In the South (Cdn-UK-NL-Aus-Den-Rom), it's about 3.5 per 1,000, in the East (US), it's 1.5 per 1000, in the North (Ger-Swe-Nor), it's 0.4 per 1,000, West (Ita-Spn-US) it's 0.6 per 1000 and in Kabul (UK-Fra), it's 2.2 per 1000. There are lots of other reasons why Afghanistan is different to Iraq; not the least being the composition of the force in Afghanistan, but you cannot point to Afghanistan as an example of a successful mission using less than the accepted ratio.

marden
Baninated
Dec 19, 2006, 11:29 AM

I don't think you understood my point. History teaches us that successful occupations/peace-keeping operations require a minimum troop to civilian ratio of 20 troops per 1,000 civilians. Before going into Iraq, Bush was told that this was the ratio that they needed to use.

There are 25 million people in Iraq which means you need 500,000 soldiers to secure it. In 2003, the US ratio was 6 per 1,000; nearly 4 times too few troops.

When it comes to Afghanistan, you said "until recently". That is precisely the point. Afghanistan is not an example of a successful mission. The ratio there is lower than in Iraq and even lower than Somalia. In the South (Cdn-UK-NL-Aus-Den-Rom), it's about 3.5 per 1,000, in the East (US), it's 1.5 per 1000, in the North (Ger-Swe-Nor), it's 0.4 per 1,000, West (Ita-Spn-US) it's 0.6 per 1000 and in Kabul (UK-Fra), it's 2.2 per 1000. There are lots of other reasons why Afghanistan is different to Iraq; not the least being the composition of the force in Afghanistan, but you cannot point to Afghanistan as an example of a successful mission using less than the accepted ratio.
Maybe that ratio is correct, maybe not.

But no one said you have to use troops of any particular nation.

In other words, if the majority of the Iraqi military had been retained those numbers could have sufficed to make up the necessary difference.

Try this formula for success in Iraq.

Army Captain's Simple Demonstration: How to Win in Iraq
Officer Killed in Battle, but His Ideas Live On
http://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=2729584

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2006, 01:06 PM

But no one said you have to use troops of any particular nation.

In other words, if the majority of the Iraqi military had been retained those numbers could have sufficed to make up the necessary difference.
No, the ratio is based on past experience. It looks at succesful mission and works out how many occupying troops were required. It specifically excludes the local soldiers. 500,000 foreign troops were required in Iraq. That is what Rumsfeld was told.

Besides, there is no formula for success in Iraq. It's a stuff up and there is no fixing it. Honestly, anyone who still believes that you can turn Iraq around should be committed.

marden
Baninated
Dec 19, 2006, 01:53 PM

No, the ratio is based on past experience. It looks at succesful mission and works out how many occupying troops were required. It specifically excludes the local soldiers. 500,000 foreign troops were required in Iraq. That is what Rumsfeld was told.

Besides, there is no formula for success in Iraq. It's a stuff up and there is no fixing it. Honestly, anyone who still believes that you can turn Iraq around should be committed.
Oh don't be silly. We all know that it WILL be settled eventually. It won't be a perpetual war zone til the end of time (unless that happens anytime soon).

That is why the Iranians are fighting so hard to create the chaos that will send us home with our tail between our legs. They know that they can use more violence than we could ever get away with and that as well as the fact that they all speak the same lingo will enable them to "FIX" Iraq in no time.

They see Iraq as a fixer upper and while we are in the front of the house trying to fix things, the Iranians are in the back pulling out wall studs and electrical conduit and introducing termites.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2006, 02:05 PM

Oh don't be silly. We all know that it WILL be settled eventually. It won't be a perpetual war zone til the end of time (unless that happens anytime soon).
I was only 60% silly though.

What I said is that success in Iraq is never going to happen. I never said Iraq will never settle. Success in Iraq meant the US achieving its strategic aims in invading. The only success they had was in removing Saddam Hussein. That was not a strategic success. They didn't achieve any of their strategic aims, no matter how you define those.

marden
Baninated
Dec 19, 2006, 03:37 PM

I was only 60% silly though.

What I said is that success in Iraq is never going to happen. I never said Iraq will never settle. Success in Iraq meant the US achieving its strategic aims in invading. The only success they had was in removing Saddam Hussein. That was not a strategic success. They didn't achieve any of their strategic aims, no matter how you define those.
As long as there are Iraqis fighting to make their country strong and free and democratic we must not give up.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2006, 03:40 PM

As long as there are Iraqis fighting to make their country strong and free and democratic we must not give up.
The problem is that they're fighting YOU.

marden
Baninated
Dec 19, 2006, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
The problem is that they're fighting YOU.
Don't say I didn't contribute to your higher education.

Army Captain's Simple Demonstration: How to Win in Iraq
Officer Killed in Battle, but His Ideas Live On
http://abcnews.go.com/International/story?id=2729584

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2006, 03:59 PM

Are you going to keep posting that little link there like it means something?

marden
Baninated
Dec 19, 2006, 04:04 PM

Are you going to keep posting that little link there like it means something?
You have to CLIQUE on it and then REED it and then talk to me.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Dec 19, 2006, 04:11 PM

Not again, thanks.

And your mom says I don't "HAVE TO" do anything, let alone talk to you.

marden
Baninated
Dec 20, 2006, 11:49 AM

Not again, thanks.

And your mom says I don't "HAVE TO" do anything, let alone talk to you.
Mother knows everything that Father doesn't and between the two of them is reposed the combined wisdom of the known world.

If she says it, believe it.

That's how I became so smart.

If you aspire to the same you might do well to avail yourself of her wise counsel.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2006, 11:52 AM

Mother knows everything that Father doesn't and between the two of them is reposed the combined wisdom of the known world.

If she says it, believe it.

That's how I became so smart.
If we see a sudden rise in kids not listening to their parents, I blame this post.

marden
Baninated
Dec 20, 2006, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
If we see a sudden rise in kids not listening to their parents, I blame this post.
If we see a sudden rise in parents using corporal punishment, giving their kids up for adoption or disinheriting their children, I blame this post.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 20, 2006, 12:25 PM

You flatter me.

marden
Baninated
Dec 20, 2006, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
You flatter me.
I was afraid of that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules