Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Who's complaining about signatures?

Who's complaining about signatures?
L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2002, 01:14 PM

One more time people, the signature guidelines say:

140px wide X 40px high, <10KB, static.

Since the signatures were remanded to the custody of the moderators and the perpetrators were labelled as violators (which to the mods I'm sure seems funny, but to us is fvcking hilarious) I have noticed numerous, NUMEROUS signatures breaking the rules stated above.. If a sig is not as wide but twice as high, does that make it okay? what about a sig that was not as high but a little more wide than the rules allow (like mine was)? why are the mods singling people out? How many of the rules do you have to break to be labelled?

I have noticed many many sigs over 140KB today. mine was around that size (not sure) why was it removed?

I'm not complaining about the size of the sigs at all.. If I had known it was such a big deal to people, and had been asked politely, I would've scaled mine down. I am pointing out the fact that the mods singled people out. Either take em all down, or give them back..

AbusiveParrot
Banned
Sep 18, 2002, 01:19 PM

WARK!!!
I POOP ON YOUR SIGNATURE!
MY POOP DOES NOT WEIGH 140K!

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 18, 2002, 01:21 PM

Yeah people were singled out. And there are tons of sigs still breaking the guidlines that have not been changed. Which makes one think that it really has nothing to do with the "sig guidlines"

Consistency here people.

Lerkfish
Sep 18, 2002, 01:22 PM

I'm trying to sympathize with you, here.... but it appears to me you knew what the quidelines and chose to ignore them. If so, then you should have realized there are consequences, and have been willing to accept them.
Once caught, to try to rat out others makes it even harder for me to sympathize, sorry.

Once I knew what the guidelines were, I adhered to them...after all, its not MY message board.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Sep 18, 2002, 01:25 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; May 6, 2004 at 08:07 PM. )

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 18, 2002, 01:33 PM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
I'm trying to sympathize with you, here.... but it appears to me you knew what the quidelines and chose to ignore them. If so, then you should have realized there are consequences, and have been willing to accept them.
Once caught, to try to rat out others makes it even harder for me to sympathize, sorry.

Once I knew what the guidelines were, I adhered to them...after all, its not MY message board.
Oh I agree! But the fact is, they are SINGLING out people. And not enforcing the guidlines forum wide. There is no denying that.

L'enfanTerrible  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2002, 01:34 PM

I didn't rat anyone out. This guy ratted people out..

I am pointing out the inconsistency in the reactions of the moderators.

Yes I heard about the sig guidelines.. But I assumed they were guidelines.. not concrete rules.. Guidelines implies: "try to do this for us, mmmkay?"

daimoni, I may be persistent in my argument, call me what you want. But don't joke about shoving a pacifier down a babies throat, you got me? Karma, fool... KARMA

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Sep 18, 2002, 01:40 PM

AbusiveParrot is almost* as annoying as starman. who'd have thought it could happen!?

*yes, i said "almost"
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Lerkfish
Sep 18, 2002, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by L'enfanTerrible:

I didn't rat anyone out. This guy ratted people out..

I am pointing out the inconsistency in the reactions of the moderators.

Yes I heard about the sig guidelines.. But I assumed they were guidelines.. not concrete rules.. Guidelines implies: "try to do this for us, mmmkay?"

daimoni, I may be persistent in my argument, call me what you want. But don't joke about shoving a pacifier down a babies throat, you got me? Karma, fool... KARMA
thanks for pointing me to that thread, which I hadn't read before....interestingly enough, in reading it, a moderator does state concerning the violation sticker "the user is then free to replace this image with one that abides the rules" That seems pretty fair to me. If you feel stigmatized, you have yourself to blame for not replacing the image with a compliant one.

so.....I'm even LESS sympathetic, now. I had assumed only a moderator could remove that image, but it appears it is within your own power to change it...so change it already. Is a couple of pixels that important to you?

L'enfanTerrible  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2002, 01:42 PM

By the way this guy only ratted out people with cool sigs. Jealous perhaps?

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2002, 01:42 PM

All your sig are belong to us.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 18, 2002, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
AbusiveParrot is almost* as annoying as starman. who'd have thought it could happen!?

*yes, i said "almost"
LOL!!

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 18, 2002, 01:48 PM

By the way this guy only ratted out people with cool sigs. Jealous perhaps?
Jealousy, personal grudges, who knows. All I know is, people WERE singled out. The mods are just picking on CERTAIN people. And are NOT enforcing this forum wide. I mean my sig was 5 pixels off 140x45 but others are much larger, yet they didn't get their sigs taken away and replaced with the lame default breaking sig guidline image.

I have no problems with sig guidlines, as long as they are consistant with their enforcement. They have shown here they are not. Which makes me wonder why certain people were singled out. We have brought this up many times. No answer. What are they hiding?

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2002, 01:51 PM

yea definitly trying to make himself feel better about certain shall we say "short comings"

L'enfanTerrible  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2002, 01:53 PM

The straw that broke the camels back.. Look at the date.

I demand to know why we were singled out, and I demand the immediate release of every signature that was captured, until such time as the mods are ready to enforce the "guidelines" forum wide.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 18, 2002, 01:54 PM

BTW your sig is too large Phang

you must make it smaller, or the Mods will do nothing, because you weren't singled out.

:-)

L'enfanTerrible  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2002, 01:55 PM

Now isn't that just the most ironic thing ever?

I didn't even need to post that picture. Phang did it for me.

AbusiveParrot
Banned

The straw that broke the camels back.. Look at the date.

I demand to know why we were singled out, and I demand the immediate release of every signature that was captured, until such time as the mods are ready to enforce the "guidelines" forum wide.
I POOP ON YOUR DEMANDS!
MY ARMY WILL CRUSH YOUR SKULL!

KILL THE HOSTAGES!

Miniryu
Mac Elite

This guy ratted people out..
Friggin' HELL!!!! How come I was left off this list! WTF!

On a different note...

How can I get one of those neat "Signature Violator" Signatures? They are so cool, and everyone seems to have one nowadays!

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2002, 01:56 PM

i am in the process of changing it... i have to go and purchase a copy of photoshop just so my sig will be user friendly for all the macnn users....

and l'enfan i am pretty sure you were singled out cause you threw a bitchfit with the mods in the other forum... and if you are so about this then why are you singling me out??? errr whatever

phang

ps i got my private message and was smart enough to change it l'enfan and to answer your own question... it is you who are complaining about the signatures now

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Sep 18, 2002, 01:57 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; May 6, 2004 at 08:08 PM. )

Lerkfish
Sep 18, 2002, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:

Lighten up, dude. On multiple levels.

:: forcibly extracts pacifier from enfant... brandishes duct tape with glee ::
something in the water, I suppose. More than one person today seems on a BBS-PMS rampage. This whole forum needs to lighten up, lately. Everyone at each other's throats and lashing out at anyone within reach. feh! more important things in the world.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Sep 18, 2002, 02:06 PM

More than one person today seems on a BBS-PMS rampage. This whole forum needs to lighten up, lately. Everyone at each other's throats and lashing out at anyone within reach. feh! more important things in the world.
OMFG!!! STFU, YOU BEARDED MORON!!! I KILL YOU!!!

Lerkfish
Sep 18, 2002, 02:08 PM

OMFG!!! STFU, YOU BEARDED MORON!!! I KILL YOU!!!
Hey! I resemble that remark!

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2002, 02:09 PM

something in the water, I suppose. More than one person today seems on a BBS-PMS rampage. This whole forum needs to lighten up, lately. Everyone at each other's throats and lashing out at anyone within reach. feh! more important things in the world.
More important than shoving a pacifier down your throat Lerkfish? I think not.

Now open up... [Lerkfish gags]

My website

L'enfanTerrible  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2002, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by Phanguye:
i am in the process of changing it... i have to go and purchase a copy of photoshop just so my sig will be user friendly for all the macnn users....

and l'enfan i am pretty sure you were singled out cause you threw a bitchfit with the mods in the other forum... and if you are so about this then why are you singling me out??? errr whatever

phang
Alright, perhaps I should have called this thread "who's complaining about signature SIZES?"

I don't give a fvck about the size, it's the fact that some people were singled out and some were not that upsets me. The mods pulled a stunt..

When and where did I " throw a bitchfit with the mods in the other forum"??

I don't remember that at all..

ps i got my private message and was smart enough to change it l'enfan and to answer your own question... it is you who are complaining about the signatures now
Bullsh!t.. you didn't change it until Zimphire pointed it out to you.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2002, 02:13 PM

Alright, perhaps I should have called this thread "who's complaining about signature SIZES?"

I don't give a fvck about the size, it's the fact that some people were singled out and some were not that upsets me. The mods pulled a stunt..

When and where did I " throw a bitchfit with the mods in the other forum"??

I don't remember that at all..
You should have just replied to the personal message from Demonhood that we all recieved, and changed your signature.

My website

Lerkfish
Sep 18, 2002, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by Miniryu:

More important than shoving a pacifier down your throat Lerkfish? I think not.

Now open up... [Lerkfish gags]
grrggfh mmmumbmphfff! dggodfgddrrff!

(lerkfish starts turning blue)

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Sep 18, 2002, 02:18 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; May 6, 2004 at 08:12 PM. )

L'enfanTerrible  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2002, 02:20 PM

I'll say this only once.. I will change the size of my signature to the recommended size IF the moderators release my signature for a quick memorial service, so I can say goodbye to versionthree, perhaps take a picture for my scrapbook. I will not comply under this obvious instance of political pressure on the part of the mods..

Release my signature, and I will comply.. Do not, and beware my wrath......

Lerkfish
Sep 18, 2002, 02:24 PM

I'll say this only once.. I will change the size of my signature to the recommended size IF the moderators release my signature for a quick memorial service, so I can say goodbye to versionthree, perhaps take a picture for my scrapbook. I will not comply under this obvious instance of political pressure on the part of the mods..

or, conversely, you could just change your sig to the guidelines. If you're a good designer you should be able to work within any parameters.

Lerkfish
Sep 18, 2002, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:

Daimoni to the rescue!!!
phew! thanks!

my whole life was flashing before my eyes, and I was already up to last week's dental appointment. Who knows what would have happened if my life had flashed beyond the present. No one should have that kind of awesome responsibilty to know next year's miss america pageant winner! That's too freaky!

cheerios
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2002, 02:38 PM

bwa ha ha! Beware your wrath?? What are you, Ghengis Khan? Sheesh, man, it's a teeny pic on the bottom of your posts. it's decorative. It's not someting to be mourned, for goodness sakes!

Hey Lerk, you okay over there? Watch out for those pacifiers, they can be harsh
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

Lerkfish
Sep 18, 2002, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by cheerios:
Hey Lerk, you okay over there? Watch out for those pacifiers, they can be harsh
I prefer the term "binky-boo".

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Sep 18, 2002, 02:47 PM

Hey binky-boo, you okay over there? Watch out for those pacifiers, they can be harsh

L'enfanTerrible  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2002, 02:48 PM

or, conversely, you could just change your sig to the guidelines. If you're a good designer you should be able to work within any parameters.
Who said I was a good designer? Really, I'm just poking a little fun the seriousness of the topic.. It's the principle that I am trying to get across here. Release it and I will gladly make a new sig thats cool and small..

Originally posted by cheerios:
bwa ha ha! Beware your wrath?? What are you, Ghengis Khan? Sheesh, man, it's a teeny pic on the bottom of your posts. it's decorative. It's not someting to be mourned, for goodness sakes!
oooh diss!

cheerios
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2002, 02:49 PM

^
|
|
|
what he said!

edit: er, i meant Phil, that is...
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

Lerkfish
Sep 18, 2002, 02:54 PM

Hey binky-boo, you okay over there? Watch out for those pacifiers, they can be harsh
no, no, no, NO, I didn't mean refer to ME as binky-boo, I meant...grrr...never mind.

Lerkfish
Sep 18, 2002, 02:56 PM

Who said I was a good designer?
Well, if noone else will, I will. I've seen your stuff and its good. You just have to adjust to the framework.

cheerios
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2002, 02:58 PM

no, no, no, NO, I didn't mean refer to ME as binky-boo, I meant...grrr...never mind.

awww... you know we wuv you, binky-boo...

Demonhood
Administrator
Sep 18, 2002, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by Phanguye:
Bullsh!t.. you didn't change it until Zimphire pointed it out to you.
i actually sent Phang a PM a few minutes before i read this thread.

people are sent warnings when an admin notices their sig is outside the guidelines. that's how it works. zimphire probably feels like he is being singled out because of some political/religious/hamburger belief, when, in fact, it's just because he has posted so damn much that his signature image is everywhere.

L'enfanTerrible  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2002, 03:06 PM

Demonhood, I know you're a cool guy. You've got a good sense of humour, and all the mods do a good job of moderating this board. But you must see the problem with what you have done concerning sigs.. I didn't even get my private message before I read my private message..

Why are you skirting the issue. Thank you for replying in my thread, but I want you to reply to the issue I have brought up. Why are you singling people out and enforcing the rules on some and not others?

Please release my sig for a few minutes, as a sign of respect, because taking it away and calling me a violator was a sign of disrespect, and was uncalled for.. After all, it was the mods mistake for calling them sig "guidelines" and not "rules". It was misleading. I will comply when you do this.

Thank you.

L'enfanTerrible

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 18, 2002, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by Miniryu:

You should have just replied to the personal message from Demonhood that we all recieved, and changed your signature.
I got a message from Demon, my sig was changed before I even read it.

Why wasn't yours?

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 18, 2002, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by Demonhood:

people are sent warnings when an admin notices their sig is outside the guidelines. that's how it works.
But not everyone got their sig changed. It was what a 2 hour notice I got? Come on, lets start taking responsibilities for our actions Demon. And stop making excuses. It was not a system wide effort, and people WERE singled out.
zimphire probably feels like he is being singled out because of some political/religious/hamburger belief,
Er no, I don't know why I was singled out. I think I mentioned that.
when, in fact, it's just because he has posted so damn much that his signature image is everywhere.
Ah so we get punished for supporting MacNN. Shame.

That was a lame excuse.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2002, 03:51 PM

yea demonhood.... i put that message in and was like... they are going to say something about this to me.... and right after i posted it i got the little private message thing.... i was like "damn demonhood is on the ball here

i dont really care i was going to change it anyway as soon as i scrape together the cash for photoshoppe

AbusiveParrot
Banned
Sep 18, 2002, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Ah so we get punished for supporting MacNN. Shame.
AAAARK!
YOU'RE A VICTIM! YOU'RE A VICTIM!
LEAVE IN PROTEST BEFORE YOU ARE POOPED ON AGAIN!

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2002, 03:55 PM

Damn, Zimph, you sound like the whiny brat I was when I got my notice back in June.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 18, 2002, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by AbusiveParrot:

AAAARK!
YOU'RE A VICTIM! YOU'RE A VICTIM!
LEAVE IN PROTEST BEFORE YOU ARE POOPED ON AGAIN!
Naw not a victim, I just wish people would take responsibilities for their own actions, instead of making up lame excuses.

A simple "Yes people where singled out, we are sorry" would have been fine.

I am not complaining about the sig guidlines.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 18, 2002, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by starman:
Damn, Zimph, you sound like the whiny brat I was when I got my notice back in June.

Mike
Mike learn the difference between whining, and actually making a legitimate complaint.

The very fact you are complaining about me complaining is pretty whiney in itself.

pot, kettle, black.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2002, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:

Mike learn the difference between whining, and actually making a legitimate complaint.

The very fact you are complaining about me complaining is pretty whiney in itself.

pot, kettle, black.
Have you even READ the thread I originally wrote? You're saying the exact same things I did.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Forum Links
Forum Rules