Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I'd like to make a desktop pict of a certain photo, and I'm looking for ideas.

I'd like to make a desktop pict of a certain photo, and I'm looking for ideas.
L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2002, 03:54 PM

This is the photo.

Any ideas for placement, texture, what I should do with the other 5 thousand or so pixels?

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2002, 04:06 PM

i would work on the back gound mainly... give it more light and color... find cool textures and incorporate them into the background... and i would dodge and/or burn some layers to make the 2 guys a little more ghostly looking...

that is a cool pic tho... where did you get it and can you upload a copy somewhere?

L'enfanTerrible  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2002, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by Phanguye:
i would work on the back gound mainly... give it more light and color... find cool textures and incorporate them into the background... and i would dodge and/or burn some layers to make the 2 guys a little more ghostly looking...

that is a cool pic tho... where did you get it and can you upload a copy somewhere?
This is the cover art for Pearl Jam's new album Riot Act. That pict is the actual size, if you need a copy, you can yank it.

Can you explain dodging and burning of layers to me? I'm sort of a n00b to Photoshop.

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2002, 04:27 PM

ummm lets see.... to do a good job dodgeing and burning what you are going to want to do is first make a bunch of copies of the original layer (like 5 maybe)... first thing you should do is just make the bottom 2 layers visable... then add a layer mask to the top layer that you are working on (layer->add layer mask->show all) this will add another box to the layer... how this works is anything that is black is hidden, anything white is completely shown and the intermediate greys are transparent.... then straight change the lighting of the layer until you find something that looks cool... then click the layer mask ( the second box that is all white in teh layer that you are working on) and either add a black/white gradient or use a brush to color in what you want shown

you can also make hue/saturation layers... i know this might be kinda confusing so if you have any questions or anything just hit me on IM... my name is ph4nguye

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2002, 12:10 AM

here is my version

Forum Links
Forum Rules