Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Panic Room

Panic Room
L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2002, 12:40 AM

This movie is excellent. Period. Just finished it, and I am watching it again. I could go on forever about characters, suspense, twists and excellent plot development. Jodie Foster is great, but you gotta love Forest Whitaker.

The whole premise of the movie is something that scares me to death. Home invasion. And the tension of the movie is increased because it's a dark and stormy night. ooooohhhoh!!

The cinematography is so unique and it really helps to drive the film. What with all the camera pans and zooms. David Fincher is master of the dark.

Can't spoil it anymore for people who haven't seen it. It's my Friday night pick'o'the week..or some sh�t like that.

"F�ck'im...f�ck her too."

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2002, 12:51 AM

I loved that movie as well. Forrest definitely was the man.
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2002, 12:23 PM

some excellent camera work in there for sure. some of those pans from the kitchen up to the 3rd floor through floors and stuff were just masterful.

really though, even the opening credits of that movie were breathtaking with the big 3D bevelled text over the buildings and whatnot.

jodie foster is so fine.

L'enfanTerrible  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2002, 01:08 PM

Jodie Foster does look great in this film.

I really liked the opening credits. Quite a change from the normal opening credits formula. Fincher really captured the essence of NYC. I love when the 911 operator puts her on hold. Oh man, thats classic.

finboy
Oct 12, 2002, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by L'enfanTerrible:
This movie is excellent. Period. Just finished it, and I am watching it again. I could go on forever about characters, suspense, twists and excellent plot development. Jodie Foster is great, but you gotta love Forest Whitaker.

The whole premise of the movie is something that scares me to death. Home invasion. And the tension of the movie is increased because it's a dark and stormy night. ooooohhhoh!!

The cinematography is so unique and it really helps to drive the film. What with all the camera pans and zooms. David Fincher is master of the dark.

Can't spoil it anymore for people who haven't seen it. It's my Friday night pick'o'the week..or some sh�t like that.

"F�ck'im...f�ck her too."
Haven't seen it. The premise of the story interests me, though. Home invasion terrifies me, too. That's why I'm armed at all times.

How long would the story have lasted if she'd had a gun? Or been locked inside WITH a gun?

arrested502
Senior User
Oct 12, 2002, 02:01 PM

Jodie Foster is a hottie. I still haven't seen Panic Room though.
"Devil ether, it makes you behave like the village drunkard in some early Irish novel. Total loss of all basic motor skills. Blurred vision. No balance. Numb Tongue. The mind recoills in horror. Unable to communicate with the spinal column. Which is interresting, because you can watch yourself behaving in this terrible way, but you can't control it"

L'enfanTerrible  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2002, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by finboy:

How long would the story have lasted if she'd had a gun? Or been locked inside WITH a gun?

Probably not too long. It would have ended with the brutal death of 1 or 2 of the intruders as well as her and her daughter.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2002, 02:22 PM

i thought it was "okay", i wouldn't suggest it to anyone. the only thing i really liked was jodie fosters cleavage...and when she lite the propane on fire.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2002, 02:30 PM

I can't believe you guys!!! This movie was horrible!! The filming was good, I'll give it that. But the characters were so stupid and frustrating. If you having seen the move yet stop reading because I am about to spoil some stuff. You probably should just finish reading what I'm going to say and then not watch the movie- trust me you will be better off.
:::::::::::::::
If you need to make a phone and someone is hogging the hard line, what is the first thing most people do? If they own a cellphone, then they look for their cell. Why did it take half an entire damn movie to figure it out. Why did the villians take so long to finally start knocking out the video cameras? If someone is watching your through a window and you don't want them to, what is the first thing you do? You pull the curtains. The villians would have at least covered the cameras, and they would have done it right away. I can go on about all of the stupid stuff that happens in that movie, and how it was either impossible or very poorly thought out. Give me a break this thing sucked.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

L'enfanTerrible  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2002, 02:51 PM

Major spoilers!!!

Originally posted by Miniryu:

If you need to make a phone and someone is hogging the hard line, what is the first thing most people do? If they own a cellphone, then they look for their cell. Why did it take half an entire damn movie to figure it out.
If you were trapped in a steel room with three maniacs outside of the door who possibly have guns and for all you know are there to torture and kill you and your daughter, I'd like to see you venture out to look for the cellphone.

Why did the villians take so long to finally start knocking out the video cameras? If someone is watching your through a window and you don't want them to, what is the first thing you do? You pull the curtains. The villians would have at least covered the cameras, and they would have done it right away.
Jodie Foster was the person who started knocking out the cameras. I think the stupidity of the criminals was intentional. They were f�ck-ups.

I can go on about all of the stupid stuff that happens in that movie, and how it was either impossible or very poorly thought out. Give me a break this thing sucked.

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it. Hell, movie tastes are different for everyone. I don't think you quite grasped the concept of utter terror that Jodie F. and her daughter were experiencing. It's really easy and completely benign to say what you would do in that situation. Don't criticize someones story when you don't even know it.

I thought it was excellent for a movie with that sort of plot, ie: taking place in one night, small cast, etc.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2002, 03:07 PM

Spoilers again
Major spoilers!!!

If you were trapped in a steel room with three maniacs outside of the door who possibly have guns and for all you know are there to torture and kill you and your daughter, I'd like to see you venture out to look for the cellphone.
Maybe I can let some of the other stuff go because of the way some people lose their heads in panic situations (btw, I hate when people do that- I had an uncle who lost a tooth because some stupid woman lost her head).
But the cellphone. Come ON. Watch the movie again- the villains were at least two flights of stair away and they could see them on the cameras. The cell phone was 10 feet away. Jodie Foster left the panic room to go outside of the bedroom, walking right past the cell. It was all too much for me; it just made me frustrated.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

L'enfanTerrible  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2002, 03:14 PM

Spoilers again

Maybe I can let some of the other stuff go because of the way some people lose their heads in panic situations (btw, I hate when people do that- I had an uncle who lost a tooth because some stupid woman lost her head).
But the cellphone. Come ON. Watch the movie again- the villains were at least two flights of stair away and they could see them on the cameras. The cell phone was 10 feet away. Jodie Foster left the panic room to go outside of the bedroom, walking right past the cell. It was all too much for me; it just made me frustrated.
As you remember, Jodi Foster had to search for the phone and she just barely got back in the panic room before the interlopers got back up there. And the phone didn't even work!!

Sure they could have done everything perfectly, but that would have made for a pretty short and boring movie. I thought the plot was well written and involved. But I'll agree to disagree. no biggie, everyones tastes are differnt.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2002, 04:39 PM

I can't believe you guys!!! This movie was horrible!! The filming was good, I'll give it that. But the characters were so stupid and frustrating. If you having seen the move yet stop reading because I am about to spoil some stuff. You probably should just finish reading what I'm going to say and then not watch the movie- trust me you will be better off.
The story made those three men to be stupid on purpose. If they destroyed the video camera, there would be no story. Julie Foster and her "daughter" only lived in the house for the first day and they didn't know the layout of house well enough yet. The movie contain tons of hints that I'm sure you missed. There are also tons of characters development during the stories but I'm sure you missed that either.

To everyone, don't listen to Miniryu's review. You will be better off watching the movie. ALL of my friends who saw it like it very much. Even those who doesn't like movies that much.

This movie is definitely not David Fincher's best work but it still have lot of good characters/story development there. Like someone said above, the camera work is masterful! 5 min of continually moving camera without any cut-away (well, actually there are very few but they did a good job of smoothing it up) I gotta love how they made the camera moving through very small space such as fence, coffee's handle, etc. There are tons of CGI there. The starting credits is damn awesome!

Oh BTW, did anyone know that Nicole Kidman is SUPPOSED to be the main character there but she sprained her ankle after Moulin Rouge film so she dropped the role.

finboy
Oct 12, 2002, 04:42 PM

Probably not too long. It would have ended with the brutal death of 1 or 2 of the intruders as well as her and her daughter.
Why?

L'enfanTerrible  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2002, 04:48 PM

Originally posted by finboy:

Why?
Did you see the movie? The interlopers have a gun too, and they were quite liberal with it. If Jodie Foster had done anything but lock herself and daughter in the panic room, I'm sure they would have died.

Ha, look at us, speculating about a movie.

Why the hell is this turning into a gun-debate. I'm sick of that already.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2002, 04:49 PM

In the year 2000...

Panic rooms will become more common as violent crime rates rise. However, the poor will only be able to afford the less-safe but more economical "spaz cabinets."

I did a google search, but couldn't find the actual phrasing. Does anyone know?

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2002, 05:31 PM

Wow, I actually didn't like it for many reasons.

First the second the bad guys break in they are made out to be comedic characters killing the sense of any real threat.

Second, it was very predictable.

"Barwaraaawww"

finboy
Oct 13, 2002, 11:16 AM

Did you see the movie? The interlopers have a gun too, and they were quite liberal with it. If Jodie Foster had done anything but lock herself and daughter in the panic room, I'm sure they would have died.

Ha, look at us, speculating about a movie.

Why the hell is this turning into a gun-debate. I'm sick of that already.
Sorry, mano, I didn't want to turn this into a gun debate either. I just wanted to know why the (otherwise) obvious solution to home security wouldn't work in this case. I get the idea that guns wouldn't work here. OK.

As for the security room idea, it'll probably be pretty common in the future. In Israel, I think they're required in all new dwellings.

L'enfanTerrible  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2002, 12:02 PM

Quite frankly, I wouldn't want a panic room in my house. There are too many things that could go wrong with that. You could be blocked from getting there or only one would get in while your spouse was hurt.

I would rather build a house that could be completely locked down when I went to sleep, or left the house or whatnot. I would never want these home invaders to get in, in the first place. It would be harder to do but, 1 spoon of prevention equals 2 spoons of cure. Security isn't a really big issue here but I can imagine it being so in some bigger cities like New York.

Remember that bomb shelter house someone posted a while back? That was cool

Forum Links
Forum Rules