Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Progress.

Progress.
L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2002, 06:59 PM

420 kids stay home from school in protest of GayStraight Alliance meeting on school grounds.

What kind of progress are we making as a society when it can reverse itself so suddenly?

mrtaber
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 5, 2002, 07:06 PM

I read the article earlier. I can only shake my head...it's not even a "gay" club...it's a meeting of the GSA (Gay-Straight Alliance). I'd hoped we'd come further than this.

Sigh.

Mark
TiBook 667MHz/512Mb/30Gb/DVD
Macs for work and play; Windows for...work and play. Oh. Never mind. Whatever.

L'enfanTerrible  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2002, 07:19 PM

Okay, I didn't want to go into too much detail of my opinions in the first post, but here goes.

Whoever supports the fear and intolerance that was displayed to those students by way of the boycott is an ignorant backward redneck. This sort of action is as great an attack on the "life, liberty and pursuit of happiness" as any I've seen. I'm shocked that any community would support such a horrible act against a group of seemingly good kids who want to bridge the gap and educate people. Every post-secondary institution I have been to has some sort of "Rainbow Alliance" and they meet quite often. They are so beneficial to the students of the schools who need information about contraception. Hell some just need support. Never have I heard of anyone being upset about these groups.

The fact that two church ministers appealed the councils decision (even though the council is obligated to allow the group to meet) is disgusting. The church has no right to enforce their weighty opinions on other students in the school.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 5, 2002, 08:08 PM

To be honest, I'm not sure the GSA itself is much in the way of progress either, though. I've had a few run-ins with them in the past, and they tend to oversimplify the situation. "Ally or enemy"; you're either with them or against them. Gee, what shrubberies have we seen espousing that kind of outlook recently? Aside from the fact that this polarizes them in their own minds, what message do they think this sends to outsiders?

When different groups of people -not just in terms of sexuality, but of pretty much any sort of difference- can learn to stop seeing other groups as The Enemy, then there will be progress. But as long as we continue to further polarize ourselves, that won't happen. Unless one side comes to totally dominate the other, and I think we can all agree that this would be unacceptable.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

L'enfanTerrible  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 5, 2002, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
To be honest, I'm not sure the GSA itself is much in the way of progress either, though. I've had a few run-ins with them in the past, and they tend to oversimplify the situation. "Ally or enemy"; you're either with them or against them. Gee, what shrubberies have we seen espousing that kind of outlook recently? Aside from the fact that this polarizes them in their own minds, what message do they think this sends to outsiders?

When different groups of people -not just in terms of sexuality, but of pretty much any sort of difference- can learn to stop seeing other groups as The Enemy, then there will be progress. But as long as we continue to further polarize ourselves, that won't happen. Unless one side comes to totally dominate the other, and I think we can all agree that this would be unacceptable.
Are you saying that the Gay-Straight Alliance is in the wrong? Firstly, this GSA is probably not the same group you had a run-in with in the past. They are 20 highschool students (of both orientations) and one teacher. Secondly, how could an alliance of both gay and straight students in a school cause polarization? I agree with your "enemy" synopsis, but it doesn't apply to this story, so take it elsewhere. Like one of the many Terrorism� threads.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 5, 2002, 08:34 PM

Progress is not always going forward. They have a right to meet! All the Church can do is set the example. I find it positive that the 2 groups meet together.

Forum Links
Forum Rules