Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I'd like to mix two mp3's together, what software should I use?

I'd like to mix two mp3's together, what software should I use?
L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2003, 06:18 AM

Hey all. I've had this idea that I've been trying to accomplish but I can't figure it out. I'd like to mix a bunch of Alan Watts (Taoist lecturer) lectures together with Pearl Jam's latest album, Riot Act.

I've tried Peak DV, but I don't understand or even think I can take the audio from both sources and mix them into one mp3..

Using QT, I've played the first song with one lecture (no editing involved) and it sounds really awesome. Alan Watts and Pearl Jam are perfect together..

Anyone with any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.

Mark E
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2003, 06:51 AM

i don't really understand what you mean by mixing. i'm guessing you want to paste some speech over the top of the instrumental parts on the pearl jam CD or something?

what you can do is convert all the files to AIFF, then open them in a sound editor (try "sound studio" maybe) and just copy the speech you want, find the right point on the music, and paste it over the top..

-Mark

in case of accidental ingestion, consult a mortician.

L'enfanTerrible  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2003, 06:58 AM

Originally posted by Mark E:
i don't really understand what you mean by mixing. i'm guessing you want to paste some speech over the top of the instrumental parts on the pearl jam CD or something?

what you can do is convert all the files to AIFF, then open them in a sound editor (try "sound studio" maybe) and just copy the speech you want, find the right point on the music, and paste it over the top..

-Mark
Thanks for the reply. Actually, I'd like to edit the lectures and paste them right over top of the song, vocals included. I'd like to be able to fade in and out of the speech, and I don't know how to convert mp3s and QT movies to AIFF.. could you be more specific?

I'm really ignorant about this. Thanks

msh
Apr 25, 2003, 07:46 AM

I'm not too familiar with audio progs in X but if you boot to OS 9, get a hold of ProTools Free. It allows mixing and editing of up to 8 tracks of audio. You can download it here: http://www.digidesign.com/ptfree/

Most audio programs support mp3, meaning you can just drag in the mp3 files into the program and it will automatically convert to AIFF. If not, then you can use iTunes by selecting AIFF Encoder in the preferences (the section that let's you choose mp3,wave or AIFF I think it is in the Advanced preference). Then select the mp3 file in iTunes, go the the Advanced menu and select Encode to AIFF. This will create a stereo AIFF. It will still be mp3 sound quality, but it will be in a format that is readable by most audio programs.

Once you have the files as AIFF (or just drag as mp3), you would open them into a multi-track editor like Protools or Bias Deck (I'm not familiar with this program but there is a trial version here: http://www.bias-inc.com/).
You would create two stereo tracks. Then you would put the music on one track and the voice on the second track. You will see them as wave forms. You can now drag them and line up the voice with the music time-wise. You would also be able to cut up the voice and move and copy certain phrases around relative to the music. There are volume curves you can write in to fade the voice in and out. Once you are satisfied there will be a 'bounce to disk' feature that will write the piece to a single AIFF or mp3 file.

I hope this helps. I recomend Protools Free. It is very easy to use and has more features for mixing multiple sound files. Check out Deck for OS X support it probably has the same process as Protools.

Anomalous
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2003, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by msh:

Most audio programs support mp3, meaning you can just drag in the mp3 files into the program and it will automatically convert to AIFF. If not, then you can use iTunes by selecting AIFF Encoder in the preferences (the section that let's you choose mp3,wave or AIFF I think it is in the Advanced preference). Then select the mp3 file in iTunes, go the the Advanced menu and select Encode to AIFF. This will create a stereo AIFF. It will still be mp3 sound quality, but it will be in a format that is readable by most audio programs.

Good info, just one minor correction - the encoder selection in iTunes preferences is under the "Importing" tab.

L'enfanTerrible  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2003, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the advice. One question, instead of using Bias Deck, can I use Peak DV? Because I already have that piece of software.

Mark E
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2003, 08:43 AM

Originally posted by L'enfanTerrible:
Thanks for the advice. One question, instead of using Bias Deck, can I use Peak DV? Because I already have that piece of software.
you certainly can.

in case of accidental ingestion, consult a mortician.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2003, 09:08 AM

Another quick audio/mp3 question if no-one minds...

I have some full gigs on MP3 (Rory Gallagher)... I really want to seperate then out to the individual tracks...

What woud be the easiest way?

Cheers,

Marc

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Apr 26, 2003, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by Marc2211:
I have some full gigs on MP3 (Rory Gallagher)... I really want to seperate then out to the individual tracks...

What woud be the easiest way?
i think Roxio Jam will do that for you. shout me via the "other" channel, and i'll talk you through it
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

L'enfanTerrible  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2003, 04:05 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I finished my first mp3.. You can listen to ithere: Can't Keep

Forum Links
Forum Rules