Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Questions about songs bought from iTunes Music Store

Questions about songs bought from iTunes Music Store
nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 10:17 PM

Hello,

So, what happens if I got a new Mac and need to transfer all my songs I bought over to the new Mac? It'll still work right? What are the rules with the songs? I just hope once I got a new Mac next year, I can still play all my songs. Oh, and how many CDs can we burn from the songs? I've heard unlimited, I've also heard 3 times. Hmmm...

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2003, 11:19 PM

You can have up to 3 computers at any given time authorized to play your purchased songs. So, if you get a new computer, just authorize it under your existing account name. If you get rid of the old computer, de-authorize it first. (All of this is in the Advanced menu).

You can burn your songs an unlimited number of times. The only restriction is that you can only burn a particular playlist 10 times. Then you have to change it in some way (add, remove, move a song, etc) to burn more. This prevents you from buying an album, burning 100 identical copies, and selling them on the street, etc.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2003, 03:32 AM

What about upgrading to 10.3? I'm going to do a clean install and don't want to lose my purchased music. What should I do?

Trekkie
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2003, 04:42 AM

If you don't backup your music then the Apple store allows you to re-download the music you purchase.
-Trekkie
To point, click and boldly go...

nobitacu  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2003, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by Trekkie:
If you don't backup your music then the Apple store allows you to re-download the music you purchase.
That's pretty cool. What are the time limit for this?

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2003, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by Trekkie:
Sorry, but that's not true. I wish it were, but it's not.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2003, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
Sorry, but that's not true. I wish it were, but it's not.
Yes it is. If you lose the files you downloaded, simply go to Advanced > Check for Purchased Music. If it finds that you've bought songs that aren't on your computer it will automatically download them.

I know because it happened to me with the first album I bought...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2003, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by jokell82:
Yes it is. If you lose the files you downloaded, simply go to Advanced > Check for Purchased Music. If it finds that you've bought songs that aren't on your computer it will automatically download them.

I don't know what happened with you and your first album, but that's NOT how it's supposed to work.

DO NOT LOSE YOUR PURCHASED MUSIC.

Edit: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93033
Right at the beginning it says that you will have to repurchase songs that you lose.
( Last edited by wataru; Oct 28, 2003 at 04:01 PM. )

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2003, 04:09 PM

Originally posted by jokell82:

Is it possible you simply didn't download the whole album then resumed the download later?

I know you can't delete a purchaced track then redownload it from the store, but the store will let you resume an incomplete download (but once the download is complete, you can't download it again).

Try it if you want. Delete a song (back it up first), then check for purchaced music. You shouldn't be able to get that song back. (except from the backup copy you made beforehand)
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2003, 05:12 PM

If i purchase an album, I can only burn it 10 times in the exact order that the songs are supposed to be. But what if i burn it, then copy or re-rip it into another mac or just disc copy the resulting audio cd..

I could jsut make 100 copies that way. Use itunes to burn an album, then toast to make more than 10 copies???

I am curious because if they have made this impossible, then why are cds you buy in the store still unable to protected against ripping.
| MBA Student | MacAddict | CarAddict | PhotoNut | Dork | PhishHead |

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2003, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
DO NOT LOSE YOUR PURCHASED MUSIC.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93033
Right at the beginning it says that you will have to repurchase songs that you lose.
I'm probably going to do what I did when I upgraded to Jaguar: bring my mom's iBook back to school with me, transfer all my important files from my TiBook to it, then do a clean install of the OS on my TiBook. If I do that with purchased music, though, how will I get the songs to play on my computer again?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2003, 05:44 PM

Originally posted by Ozmodiar:
I'm probably going to do what I did when I upgraded to Jaguar: bring my mom's iBook back to school with me, transfer all my important files from my TiBook to it, then do a clean install of the OS on my TiBook. If I do that with purchased music, though, how will I get the songs to play on my computer again?
That is essentially what I did, though I used an external FireWire drive for backup.

When you get Panther installed on your machine, just copy your music back over and try to play a purchased song in iTunes. iTunes will prompt you for your password and then authorize your computer over the internet (oh yeah, make sure you're connected to the internet ). You can then play all your purchased music.

And don't worry that this would use up one of your authorizations: It doesn't because authorization is based on your machine's MAC address, and the iTMS is smart enough to realize that this it's the same computer that was authorized before. You can verify this by viewing your account information, where it tells you how many authorized computers you have.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 28, 2003, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by Earth Mk. II:
Is it possible you simply didn't download the whole album then resumed the download later?

I know you can't delete a purchaced track then redownload it from the store, but the store will let you resume an incomplete download (but once the download is complete, you can't download it again).

Try it if you want. Delete a song (back it up first), then check for purchaced music. You shouldn't be able to get that song back. (except from the backup copy you made beforehand)
I guess that may be what happened. And after reading the replies, I'm not about to delete my songs anytime soon.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

nickm
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2003, 11:55 PM

What about upgrading to 10.3? I'm going to do a clean install and don't want to lose my purchased music. What should I do?
Deauthorize your computer before you reinstall --- it's under to the "Advanced" menu in iTunes. I should mention that I've never had problems "losing" computers when I forgot to deauthorize before reinstalling, but it's better to be safe then have to write the music store and explain yourself.

Forum Links
Forum Rules