Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Essential Accessories (i.e. screen/keyboard guards, cleaners, things...)

Essential Accessories (i.e. screen/keyboard guards, cleaners, things...)
Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2004, 01:02 AM

I'm about to buy my an iBook -- my first iBook, my first mac, my first laptop. So: Do I need to buy a sleevey thing to go over the monitor part? Do I need a keyboard guard? Do I need a laptop elf?

If so, what brand(s) would you recommend?

Thanks

A Ghost Is Born
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2004, 02:20 AM

I would consider the following as essentials...

more RAM. this is extremely important. If you are doing minimal multitasking, then the standard 256MB may be enough. However, an extra 256 or 512 will go a long way.

Airport Extreme Card. Wireless networking is now built in. OOPS! nevermind.

Sleeve/Case. You should protect it from the elements and have something to sport it around in. In the PowerBook forum there is a topic about cases. I personally like marware.

Good ideas...

Keyboard Guard. This is useful if you want to protect the keys from your oily fingers. The new iBook model's keys do not touch the screen like the older models did (so your screen should be okay).

.mac account. I don't think it's worth it but if you want a combined nice set of extras (antivirus, not that you'll need it, plus online storage, access to a few gigs of free music, website templets, etc.)

Wired or Bluetooth mouse. I don't like the touch pad especially for gaming. if you go bluetooth, make sure you get the BT module in the ibook.

Applecare. This is a personal thing. Notebooks, much more so than desktops, are harder and more expensive to repair. I have heard great things about Apple's service.

Get a digital camera or camcorder. Have fun with your new ibook's software.

Extra battery or travel charger. My iBook gets about four or five hours of battery life depending on brightness, airport card turned on, drives being used. If you get a notebook because you travel a lot, it's a no brainer.

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2004, 09:10 AM

"Travel charger"... so there's no way to charge a battery that's not in the computer without buying one of these things? Sounds like it's essential for anyone who's getting a spare battery, no?

I don't travel much, but I plan on using the laptop in shops, libraries, outside, etc. without needing an umbilical connection

Hey when you have two batteries and aren't using them that much... does it become annoying to have to do that full charge - discharge thing once a month? If a battery isn't being used for a while, how many % charged should it be? I think I read 50...

-yakov.

A Ghost Is Born
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2004, 10:43 AM

I was recommending either an extra battery OR a car charger (my bad on the travel charger). If you are in your car alot then go with a car charger. If you want an extra battery go with that. I am not sure about the % thing though.

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2004, 11:50 AM

i just called a store and asked him if there's a way to charge a battery when it's not in a computer. he said no. is he an idiot? it sounds idiotic.

drive-thru
Senior User
Oct 20, 2004, 01:48 PM

If you want to charge a battery which isn't in the iBook (i.e. charging your spare battery) then you will need to buy something extra to do this.
Like this:
http://www.mcetech.com/batchrg_ib.html
(I just clicked on the first link in Google, it's just an example so it may not be the best value)

A Ghost Is Born
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2004, 02:29 PM

I am sure that they make external battery chargers (though offbrand). But they have car chargers that you can connect your ibook to. I have one and find it useful considering that I work two jobs, do some volunteer promotions for a few record labels, and attend college. I think drive thru offered a link to a charger but I haven't checked so good luck.

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2004, 03:17 PM

very strange that they'd sell extra batteries without chargers. why get an extra battery without the charger? that's like getting a car without a gas tank. very odd IMO. i don't drive so car chargers aren't too useful

A Ghost Is Born
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2004, 03:47 PM

i am sure that the extra battery is meant to be replacable for mobile users. Keep in mind, that many companies make extra batteries without any external chargers for them (toshiba, ibm, hp, compaq, averatec, etc)

Forum Links
Forum Rules