Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > upgrading ram, for noobs

upgrading ram, for noobs
Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 09:12 PM

i'm an ibook newbie and a hardware newbie. i want to buy an ibook soon and save some scratch by upgrading the ram myself. i just read the official mac ram-installing guide and a few threads here. questions:

1. when installing ram, i'm assuming the basic 256 MB stays in? i.e. it's in a different part of a system than the (empty?) board i'm replacing? (answered)

2. any brands you recommend? i've heard crucial is good...

3. how do you find ibook ram on newegg.com? am i an idiot? i can't find it...

4. if i buy 512mb now, will i be able to buy 512mb later and snap it on in?

5. anything to watch out for when installing ram based on the official guide?
( Last edited by Yakov; Oct 27, 2004 at 09:47 PM. )

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2004, 09:23 PM

it is very simple to do i put 512 in mine and that bumped it up to 640 there is 128 removable and 128 soldered onto the logic board so no you cant get two sticks into it i think the only one that has two upgradable is the 17'' powerbook but not an ibook you will see when you take off the plate that covers the existing ram it is very self explanitory as far as a type of ram i am not sure i just went to a computer store and found the least expensive one i figure if it is compatible and it is the fastest i can get then the cheaper the better with this type of product. it works great and i noticed a difference. i am very impatient and like to get it done as fast as i can. guess that is because of bootcamp but the only thing that i can say to watch out for is to not bend the plate you take off it is easy to do. hope this helped you out if you need any help let me know and i will see what i can do.
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 09:40 PM

deleted

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 27, 2004, 09:43 PM

heh... did they talk about punctuation at boot camp? j.k. thanks for the info.

btw, ghost said "pc2100 or pc2700 (as long as it's 200 pin ddr-sdram)" on another thread, just wanted to get all the relevant info on here.

6. are "PC" numbers better lower? i.e. 2100 better than 2700?

7. what about mHz? how does this work?

8. do all the ram companies offer full (limited) warranties? sounds like ram can be touch and go with regards to whether it works or not at all...

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2004, 12:01 AM

Well I don't like to waste time with punctuation or spelling, I never was good at it. lol. As far as bootcamp goes they just showed me how to survive in a combat situation, and enviroment. They showed me how to kill a man with my bare hands, shoot my enemy from 500yds away, and how to ensure every americans freedom, and right to live. They showed me how to fight for america and win! Just like the MARINE CORPS has from 10th November, 1775 until present day.

Any how... I will try to use some grammar just for you. LMAO.... J.K.

The 2700 is faster. At least that is what I have been told. What ghost said is correct. I went to Comp USA and got mine there, it works great. I haven't had any problems with it, and I think it came with a 10 year warranty. I think my ram was like $135.00. (I think. It's been a while.)

As far as MHZ is concerned, what did you want to know about it? I don't understand what exactly you would like to know?

If you want to instant message me.... please feel free. I will leave my AIM on so that you can.

A Ghost Is Born
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2004, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by Yakov:
heh... did they talk about punctuation at boot camp? j.k. thanks for the info.

btw, ghost said "pc2100 or pc2700 (as long as it's 200 pin ddr-sdram)" on another thread, just wanted to get all the relevant info on here.

2. Crucial, Kingston, Centon, Kingmax, even PNY.

3. check this link...
http://newegg.com/app/manufact.asp?catalog=381&DEPA=0
on the left side bar choose these options...
Manufacturer: ANY
Type: 200-pin DDR SO-DIMM (NOT DDR2 SO-DIMM!!!!!!)
Registered/Unbuffered: ANY
Speed: Either PC2100 or PC2700
ECC: ANY

This should net you what you are looking for.

4. The iBook only has one RAM slot to install. Without ripping the other off of the board and resoudering a new one, then no. You would have to replace the 512 with a 1024 chip.

5. the guide is pretty inclusive. REMEMBER to unscrew your keyboard at the top (where the light comes on when you use the NUM LOCK button). Remember to destatic yourself by touching the metal plate (refer to manuel on this). It's easy. Don't fret.

6. are "PC" numbers better lower? i.e. 2100 better than 2700?

7. what about mHz? how does this work?

8. do all the ram companies offer full (limited) warranties? sounds like ram can be touch and go with regards to whether it works or not at all...
6. the "PC numbers" are reference to it's speed. The higher the better techinical. However, the iBook will only support PC2100 (266 MHz) or PC2700 (333 MHz) (because most of the PC2700 RAM will clock down to PC2100 speed).

7. See above. Look for PC2100 DDR266 or PC2700 DDR333 (it may or may not clock down but most do). The faster the RAM the more responsive your computer and it's applications will be.

8. Most companies offer some sort of warrenty. I have been building PCs for a few years while working at a computer store and doing various installs. I have found that Crucial, Kingston, Centon, and a few others are safe bets. If they fail, they fail but consult with each one's website for warrenty issues.

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2004, 11:09 AM

hey marine osx... respect

thanks for the tips, Ghost.

but: I still can't find ibook RAM on newegg.com! where is it?? i click mac products, all categories, memory but only one thing comes up and it's 144pin not 200pin.

where are all these mega bargains everyone's talking about? i feel like i wasn't invited to the party

edit: i found something: http://www.dealram.com fun!

9. how does this look:
Crucial 200 pin 512MB DDR SO-DIMM PC-2100 - OEM
Model# CT6464X265
Item # N82E16820145064
Manufacturer: Crucial
Speed: DDR266(PC2100)
Type: 200 pin DDR SO-DIMM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 2.5
Support Voltage: 2.5V
Bandwidth: 2.1GB/s
Organization: 64M x 64 -Bit
Warranty: Lifetime

the only difference i find between this page on newegg (found thru dealram) and crucial's memory finder for a diff. model is that it doesn't say here that it's "non-parity," whatever that means.

would this stuff work in a new iBook?

new question 10. once i get the ram, what's the best software for making sure it's up to snuff?

-yakov.
( Last edited by Yakov; Oct 28, 2004 at 12:17 PM. )

A Ghost Is Born
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2004, 12:24 PM

click the link i posted. You can select 200pin there. Don't waste your time looking for RAM in the Mac Products (it's unlikely that you will find it) The ram mac uses is the same kind of ram that most other computers use. SO... Look for under Notebook-Notebook memory

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 28, 2004, 01:19 PM

oop... didn't realize you edited my text in the "quote" field

negativeSpace
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2004, 01:44 PM

I have an iBook G4 933mhz. On crucial.com they say that the max RAM is 640 (128 built in & 512 in the slot) but on Kingston they say that 1.12gb is the max (128 built in and a 1gb stick). I'm just wondering if I should just go for the 1gb stick or play it safe and get the 512... any suggestions?
Life's not too short, your just dead for so long...

Strix
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2004, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by negativeSpace:
I have an iBook G4 933mhz. On crucial.com they say that the max RAM is 640 (128 built in & 512 in the slot) but on Kingston they say that 1.12gb is the max (128 built in and a 1gb stick). I'm just wondering if I should just go for the 1gb stick or play it safe and get the 512... any suggestions?
The max ram for a iBook G4 933 Mhz is 640. The ceiling wasn't lifted to 1.2 until the April 2004 revision of the iBook (1 Ghz & 1.2 Ghz models).

negativeSpace
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2004, 03:21 PM

BUMMER

A Ghost Is Born
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2004, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by Strix:
The max ram for a iBook G4 933 Mhz is 640. The ceiling wasn't lifted to 1.2 until the April 2004 revision of the iBook (1 Ghz & 1.2 Ghz models).

I thought that you could use a gig stick in the old model even though apple doesn't/didn't claim you could. For serious. you may want to check out some other websites like kingston, centon, etc. to check the validity on it. I may be wrong though.

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2004, 04:03 PM

that is what I have heard as well ghost. I am going to look for an answer to that to. I have been told that it can handle it you cant get 1.256 gig but you can get 1.128gigs.????? If you find anything pleas let me know.

A Ghost Is Born
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2004, 05:22 PM

Kingston's website has it posted that with your G4 933 iBook you can add a gig of RAM to a whopping 1.12 gigs of ram.

negativeSpace
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2004, 06:11 PM

That's what i thought, but I wasn't sure if they were just yakin' my chain...

I might just try it.

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2004, 06:21 PM

I found alot of posts and sites that reported the 933mhz with a gig in it as well. I am going to have to try it.

negativeSpace
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2004, 06:33 PM

would you be so kind as to share some linkage?

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2004, 07:29 PM

i dont have any links all the posts and sites that i have see where thru google and alot of them said that they had 1 gig of ram in them I also called apple just to see what they had to say about the ram and the reason that they not the ibook doesnt support 1 gig of ram is because of the processor they said that at the certain level no matter how much rm you put in you are not going to notice a speed increase you will only be able to open more applications and do more multitasking and even if you put a 256mb upgrade in it and have a problem with something they tell you to remove the ram so theoretically as long as the ram is compatible it will make your ibook happier.

I am also going to try this out because i usually have a ton of apps going and I will let you know how it goes. Well I am going to try and convince my wonderfull wife to let me go get it. LOL! wish me luck.

negativeSpace
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2004, 07:31 PM

Good luck. Take one for the team man!

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 2004, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by MARINEOSX:
that is what I have heard as well ghost. I am going to look for an answer to that to. I have been told that it can handle it you cant get 1.256 gig but you can get 1.128gigs.????? If you find anything pleas let me know.
yup, the first rev g4s had 128 onboard unlike the new ones that have 256 built in.

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2004, 11:06 PM

well everyone I have a final answer to all of you wondering.......

I will use the term a picture is worth a thousand words.

almost forgot it is pc2700

A Ghost Is Born
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2004, 11:12 PM

hooray! marine has come through for us again!

negativeSpace
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2004, 09:27 AM

dude, you are the man of the hour.

my mind has been made up.
Thanks a million.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 29, 2004, 11:55 AM

marine-

screenshots-
� cmd(apple)-shift-3 for the whole screen
� cmd-shift-4 for a selection
� cmd-shift-4 *then hit spacebar* little camera shows up and you can take a screenshot of a single window.
NOTE: all three methods drop a .pdf on your desktop, but preview.app works great to convert to .jpg.

and your sig is too tall. 200x50 is the limit on sigs.

other than that though, its nice to see that it is possible to put a gigger in the first g4s.

hoo-ah.
( Last edited by d4nth3m4n; Oct 29, 2004 at 12:00 PM. )

negativeSpace
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2004, 02:29 PM

Marine, have you experienced any overheating issues with that extra chunk?

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2004, 07:11 PM

as of yet i have not had any problems it does run a little warmer like 10 degrees but it still seems to be fine and i expected the heat it is a gig of ram. and if you look in the top of the right hand screen it has my tempurature monitor showing tha it was at 107 and it is at 100 degrees.

and to prove that it is an ibook here is the system profiler for my ibook.

A Ghost Is Born
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2004, 10:13 PM

you got served?!

MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2004, 11:19 PM

the only thing i have left that i can upgrade is my optical drive.....hmmmmm I think i will try to do the processor to if possible. any body know about that sort of thing? I havn't looked at it yet?????

I am glad that it worked it is amazing to have almost 20 applications running and doing things and not run out of ram.

A Ghost Is Born
Forum Regular
Oct 30, 2004, 10:00 AM

goodness!

Forum Links
Forum Rules