Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Chinese cars coming to America

Chinese cars coming to America
milhous
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2005, 02:04 AM

Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...tory/Business/

Malcolm Bricklin wants to sell you another car

By GREG KEENAN

Bricklin is back.

Thirty years after trying to turn New Brunswick into an auto-production powerhouse, and failing spectacularly amid a wash of red ink, veteran entrepreneur Malcolm Bricklin has another ambitious car-sales venture in the works.

This time, the product is to be imported from China. They would be the first Chinese-made cars to be retailed in North America.

But should sales of the inexpensive cars and sport utility vehicles take off after going on sale in Canada in 2008, the ever-optimistic Mr. Bricklin believes the automobiles could eventually be assembled in this country.

Either way, the project represents an attempted comeback by an auto-industry businessman, now in his mid-60s, whose career has been written off several times.

Visionary Vehicles LLC, will import five types of vehicles made by state-owned Chery Automobile Co., China's eighth largest auto manufacturer. Canadian industrialist Maurice Strong has signed on as chairman of Visionary's technology and environmental advisory board.

Mr. Bricklin is best remembered in Canada for the gull-winged sports car that bore his name but never lived up to his rosy predictions.

And the late New Brunswick premier Richard Hatfield was among those disappointed: The much-touted venture collapsed in 1975, after racking up fewer than 3,000 sales and saddling the provincial government with more than $20-million in unpaid debts.

The New Brunswick fiasco "was really unfortunate," Mr. Bricklin conceded yesterday in an interview from New York. "That was me, and labour that was less than automotive quality."

Nor is this project comparable to the Yugo experience of the 1980s, he contended, referring to the cheap, imported Yugoslavian-built hatchback whose sales disintegrated amid horrendous quality problems.

The Yugo, he said, was "a 20-year-old Fiat in a 50-year-old factory."

This new enterprise, Mr. Bricklin said, resembles more closely his success in importing Subaru vehicles from Japan to the United States in the 1960s.

"Every single car that I brought into the U.S. was successful."

Chery offers quality and low cost, the company said in a news release extolling Mr. Bricklin as "one of the automobile industry's leading entrepreneurs and one of the most experienced automotive importers/brand builders in the industry."

Visionary Vehicles will import five Chery-made sets of wheels � an entry-level compact sedan, a sport utility vehicle, a mid-size sedan, a sporty car and a so-called crossover vehicle that combines the ride of a car with the space of an SUV.

Visionary says it anticipates sales of about 250,000 vehicles in the United States when imports start arriving there in 2007. In its first full year of operation in Canada, Visionary expects to sell 25,000 vehicles, based on the traditional rule of thumb that the Canadian market is about 10 per cent of U.S. sales.

The plan is to undercut other auto makers' prices by 30 per cent, Mr. Bricklin said.

He and his partners plan to create a dealership network across the continent.

Italy's Bertoni and Pininfarina companies � two leading automotive-design firms � have been enlisted to develop the vehicles.

As for cost, the hope is to sell the cars in Canada for less than $10,000 apiece, about $2,000 less than the cheapest new cars currently available.

Selling 25,000 cars in Canada in its first year would be a major success for Visionary, but not an impossible goal. Canadians have been highly receptive in the past to new, cheap vehicles.

The original success of Hyundai Motor Corp. in Canada based on the inexpensive Pony hatchback in the 1980s led to construction of a factory in Quebec that was later closed after that auto maker ran into quality problems.

In addition to Mr. Strong, Visionary has recruited some well-known names as advisers, from both within the auto industry and elsewhere.

These include William vanden Heuvel, who is a deputy permanent U.S. representative to the United Nations, and Ron Harbour, president of Harbour Consulting Inc., of Troy, Mich., an authoritative automotive-consulting firm.

Mr. Strong, an environmentalist, is interested in Chery producing hybrid cars as soon as possible, Mr. Bricklin said. Hybrid vehicles combine electric motors with traditional internal-combustion engines to produce much more fuel-efficient cars and are among the hottest-selling vehicles.

Mr. Strong is on vacation and could not be reached for comment.

Visionary wants to sell one million of the vehicles annually in North America by 2011.

In China, auto makers have been tripping over themselves to build assembly plants. And while the cars remain aimed chiefly at the domestic market, industry observers expect them to be exported in large quantities later this decade.
F = ma

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2005, 02:08 AM

Hmm, a thread about cars and Canada. Sounds like someone's idea of heaven to me.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2005, 02:14 AM

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=240172

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosins.../A01-47455.htm

This is going to get interesting, and it may spell the beginning of the end for one of the last bastions of strength in American manufacturing; the auto industry. Too many American workers can no longer afford a new American car, and if the Chinese get this right, and then go on to build more upscale models at much lower prices, they will effectively have succeeded in gaining much more control over our economy.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

ambush
Banned
Jan 4, 2005, 02:44 AM

[USA deflateGDP];

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2005, 12:45 PM

I can commend him on getting Subarus over here, they're great cars. How well these will do only time will tell. I used to see a Bricklin driving around North Attleboro, and couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw it! Definitely a unique vehicle to have.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2005, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Hmm, a thread about CHINESE cars and Canada. Sounds like someone's idea of heaven to me.
Fixinated.

-t

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2005, 12:55 PM

I wonder how well it will do against the numerous cars already on the market.

I'm sure they will be relegated to the KIA and Hyundai with reference to quality.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2005, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I'm sure they will be relegated to the KIA and Hyundai with reference to quality.
Don't forget that Honda and Toyota and Nissan were all in that boat not that long ago.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2005, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
Don't forget that Honda and Toyota and Nissan were all in that boat not that long ago.
??

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2005, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
??
You must be young. Hondas and Toyotas and Datsuns (nee Nissan) were all cheap, poorly made cars back in the 70s and even early 80s.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2005, 01:53 PM

You must be young. Hondas and Toyotas and Datsuns (nee Nissan) were all cheap, poorly made cars back in the 70s and even early 80s.
I can't remember them being that bad. Mind you, I'm guessing that the ones we had here weren't built at the same factories as the ones you had there?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2005, 02:18 PM

1973 Honda Civic

Cipher13
Jan 4, 2005, 02:19 PM

The late 70's and early 80's were "not that long ago"?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2005, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
The late 70's and early 80's were "not that long ago"?
If you're in your 30s, yes.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2005, 02:30 PM

The '79 Civic was a great little car.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2005, 03:06 PM

Exactly. The early Japanese cars imported to America were sloppily made, and were rust buckets after only a few years, including the Hondas. I was in the auto service business up until the late 70s. Even if the first Chinese cars aren't the best, they'll catch up quick, because they're more eager to learn and work.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2005, 03:12 PM

And now of course, most of those Japanese brands are made in factories in places like South Carolina and Alabama.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2005, 03:27 PM

Very true, but I think the market is currently quasi-saturated. I'm not foolish enough to say it's never going to happen, but cheap labor doesn't mean that the item will ever be good.

Yugo GV

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 4, 2005, 04:05 PM

A very interesting name for the company, Cherry.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 4, 2005, 04:29 PM

Mwahaha.

Just noticed that Ambush got baninated AGAIN !

-t

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2005, 05:30 PM

I'm not buying one. Never. It's my choice as an individual in a free market to refuse to buy a product from a certain country. I would however oppose any kind of tariff on foreign products. I oppose protectionism 100%.

milhous  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2005, 01:27 AM

subarus seem to be very nice cars, though i don't think my dad would ever buy one again. his first new car in the states was an 81 subaru gl station wagon. the engine ran great, but turned into a rustbucket in less than 10 years.

corrosion's certainly not as big of a problem as it was back in those days. with that said, i wouldn't mind having a subaru. good powertrains and an all wheel drive system. probably the cheapest all wheel drive car you can get considering that audis are over 10k more.
F = ma

RGB
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2005, 02:57 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
I wonder how well it will do against the numerous cars already on the market.

Would this be the Hyundai Sonata, the "Highest Quality Entry Midsize Car," or the Hyundai brand as a whole's tie for 2nd with Honda in initial quality?

http://www.jdpower.com/special/power.../hyunindex.asp

Forum Links
Forum Rules