Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > tiger DVD -> CD-ROM media exchange program

tiger DVD -> CD-ROM media exchange program
milhous
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2005, 09:05 PM

it appears that tiger will only be released in DVD form. however for those who need tiger on CD-ROM, the tiger DVD will have to be exchanged for the more traditional media. link is below:

http://images.apple.com/macosx/pdf/t...iaexchange.pdf

edit: you'll have to pay $9.95 for the exchange as well.
F = ma

Applefreak01
Senior User
Apr 20, 2005, 09:06 PM

Yep.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2005, 09:38 PM

Man, I think this is a seriously bad idea. They should have shipped two versions - even if it meant stocking two different SKUs. The average consumer will be really pissed if they get all the way home, only to find out that it won't run.

There are a ton of people out there that have no idea if they have a dvd drive or a cd drive. I run into them all the friggen time. If they buy something, they cant take it back, and they have to mail it along with 10$ dollars and wait?

That's bad customer service, and a potential reverse switcher.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2005, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by stuffedmonkey
Well, the majority of switchers probably switched in the last two years or so, and AFAIK, the majority of Macs default to having a drive that can read DVDs (unless you're an educational institution that wanted a CD only drive), so I don't think it will be a major reason to reverse switch.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2005, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by stuffedmonkey
Man, I think this is a seriously bad idea. They should have shipped two versions - even if it meant stocking two different SKUs. The average consumer will be really pissed if they get all the way home, only to find out that it won't run.

There are a ton of people out there that have no idea if they have a dvd drive or a cd drive. I run into them all the friggen time. If they buy something, they cant take it back, and they have to mail it along with 10$ dollars and wait?

They can read requirements on the side of the box, just like you do with any software or games.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

NeilCharter
Senior User
Apr 20, 2005, 10:29 PM

It is interesting that they won't provide the option to buy the CD rom version.

My order for Tiger from Amazon was originally in CD-rom format but now its been changed to DVD.

I suppose you could install to a machine by using the target mode system. Has anyone tried to do this before.

Now what happens when you have a family pack and one of the machines only has a CD drive, does Apple send you a CD set and you get to keep the DVD?
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

midwinter
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2005, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by NeilCharter
I suppose you could install to a machine by using the target mode system. Has anyone tried to do this before.

Considering my optical drive on my PB has failed, I'm interested in whether or not this is possible.

Magicite
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2005, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by midwinter
Considering my optical drive on my PB has failed, I'm interested in whether or not this is possible.
Works perfectly. Did it this evening, in fact.
Goats and Monkeys!
magicite.org

Forum Links
Forum Rules