Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iphoto interface is annoying. plugins?

iphoto interface is annoying. plugins?
Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2006, 05:38 PM

iphoto is an exasperating program. the process of naming and tagging my photos is like pulling teeth. is there any developer that's made a plugin to ease this process?

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2006, 06:05 PM

You don't even say why it's bad, or give any reasoning that people could help you with. Anyways, how would you envision a plugin helping you tag? Read your mind?

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2006, 07:49 PM

for each image in iphoto, i have to click on the picture, click on the info button, click on the name, then type a name. then i have to go back to the mouse, click on tags, and drag the photo to the tags i want, one at a time.

this is ridiculous!

i'd like to see a simple system that allows me to type the name, click a few checkboxes for tags, and hit enter to go to the next photo. best system would allow me to do all this without going to the mouse. i'm thinking of classic WinAmp (back in the day!) where you could select fifteen MP3s, hit control-3 for id3 tags, and then be able to fill in the info in a dialog box -- everytime you hit OK you get the dialog box for the next file, quickly!

any ideas, friends?

thank you kindly,
yakov.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2006, 08:22 PM

You can do batch changes of photos. Just select all the ones you want to change, and then select the keywords you want. You can also do Photos->Batch Change and add other comments to the photos.

So what are you missing?

JazzCatDRP
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2006, 08:54 PM

Check MacUpdate for Keyword Assistant. It's a great keyword plugin

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2006, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Yakov
for each image in iphoto, i have to click on the picture, click on the info button, click on the name, then type a name. then i have to go back to the mouse, click on tags, and drag the photo to the tags i want, one at a time.

this is ridiculous!

i'd like to see a simple system that allows me to type the name, click a few checkboxes for tags, and hit enter to go to the next photo. best system would allow me to do all this without going to the mouse. i'm thinking of classic WinAmp (back in the day!) where you could select fifteen MP3s, hit control-3 for id3 tags, and then be able to fill in the info in a dialog box -- everytime you hit OK you get the dialog box for the next file, quickly!

any ideas, friends?

thank you kindly,
yakov.
Multiple selection is possible. Click-Drag. Click then Shift-Click. Option-Click Option-Click Option-Click. Take your pick. You can then get info and set a keyword on all of them. Or you can select "Batch Change..." and mass edit.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 20, 2006, 12:55 AM

this is ridiculous!
No, what's ridiculous is complaining about a program missing features that are already there. iPhoto doesn't really have that many menu items, so I wonder if you even looked.

I kind of think one of the strengths of a program like iPhoto is that it doesn't require you to name your photos, though. You can just identify them by sight (and to a lesser extent, by date). Keywords, though, are very useful since one photo can have any number of keywords, but only one title.

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2006, 03:33 AM

you're talking about Get Info, right? it lets me pick keywords but not a name, and it clogs up the screen...

ok, never mind, guess i'm the only one who feels the way i do about this program

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2006, 03:45 AM

you're talking about Get Info, right? it lets me pick keywords but not a name, and it clogs up the screen...

ok, never mind, guess i'm the only one who feels the way i do about this program
Batch Change works similarly... for the love of god, just LOOK at the menu options.

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 20, 2006, 03:53 AM

for the love of god, read what i wrote.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 20, 2006, 04:39 AM

I think I and others thought you were complaining that you could only edit the titles one at a time, when it seems that what you actually want is a way to edit titles quickly one after another. There is a shortcut available for this.

Click on the title of the photo you want to rename in the Information window on the bottom left. Type in the new title. Then press command + right bracket (the ] key) to go on to the next photo. You'll immediately be able to type in the next title. Press command + ] again to go on to the next one, and so on. You can also press command + left bracket to go to the previous photo. In this way, you can rename photos fairly quickly.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2006, 05:36 AM

For the love of Atheism, download this:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14092

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 20, 2006, 05:40 AM

He's talking mostly about titles and not keywords, though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules