Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Network printing question

Network printing question
Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2006, 11:08 PM

Sorry if I placed this in the wrong forum, but I don't really know the best place for this question. (OS X? Hardware? Networks? Alternative operating systems?!)

In my house, I have my MacBook and my dad's PC. The PC is the base station for our wireless internet. It's also connected to a printer. I want to be able to print off that printer.

I went into Windows and turned on print sharing, and found the printer in my mac browser thingy. But when I hit print, the driver tries to send the document but nothing happens.

Windows Firewall is set up to allow file & print sharing, and there are no passwords set up on that computer whatsoever.

I don't know where my problem is -- do I need to install the printer driver on the Mac? Is there an arcane Windows setting that I don't know about? Do I need to install that weird Unix printer sharing thing? Do I need to create a user somehow, and then give it permission in Windows? Why should this be difficult?

Help!

Love,
Yakov

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2006, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by Yakov
Sorry if I placed this in the wrong forum, but I don't really know the best place for this question. (OS X? Hardware? Networks? Alternative operating systems?!)

In my house, I have my MacBook and my dad's PC. The PC is the base station for our wireless internet. It's also connected to a printer. I want to be able to print off that printer.

I went into Windows and turned on print sharing, and found the printer in my mac browser thingy. But when I hit print, the driver tries to send the document but nothing happens.

Windows Firewall is set up to allow file & print sharing, and there are no passwords set up on that computer whatsoever.

I don't know where my problem is -- do I need to install the printer driver on the Mac? Is there an arcane Windows setting that I don't know about? Do I need to install that weird Unix printer sharing thing? Do I need to create a user somehow, and then give it permission in Windows? Why should this be difficult?

Help!

Love,
Yakov
Hi,

Yeah you need to install the Unix Printer Sharing Driver in Windows. It'll be in Add/Remove Programs>Add/Remove Windows Components.

Also, when adding the printer to the Mac, make sure you have the correct driver installed. Most printers just don't work with the generic postscript driver. Also, what's the printer model? Some manufacturers have released Universal driver files to optimise performance, so check if those are available.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 12, 2006, 11:44 PM

http://roachfiend.com/archives/2005/...ndows-printer/
this is the best blog post ever!! now i'm printing!!

just one more question:
i can't figure out how to use my freshly installed canon driver (for the mp500 -- intel version). the mp500 doesn't show up in the list of printers, nor can i find it if i do a browse. i don't even know what kind of file i'm looking for. help??

Forum Links
Forum Rules