Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Battery life sucks in iPhone 3.0

Battery life sucks in iPhone 3.0
gunnar
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2009, 06:51 PM

My iPhone 3G now barely maintains a charge for more than a couple hours. I don't even use it, it's just on standby off. Is there some feature that has changed that is causing this? My phone is basically useless since upgrading.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2009, 09:41 PM

Is this a jailbroken phone? My 1st gen iPhone is jailbroken/unlocked and I discovered that if I don't shut off push email/notifications the battery will drain very quickly and will operate very sluggishly. Seems to have something to do with the fact that I don't have a data plan and it's constantly trying to find the internet via EDGE.

gunnar  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2009, 09:43 PM

No, it's not jailbroken

Nassifer
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2009, 01:17 AM

I too notice that the battery life is way diminished since I upgraded, I have an iPod Touch 1st Gen. I get about 1 workout where I used to be able o get a couple of days with it.

Is there something that I am missing, I do not have that push stuff on, I just listen to music.

Abdulah

sixandout
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2009, 11:46 AM

I wonder if it is something related to the newer push features, even though I don't have any apps yet that use it. At least I dont feel so bad if I'm not the only one noticing this also.

Koralatov
Senior User
Jun 21, 2009, 11:49 AM

Something must be running in the background to drain your battery that fast. Since upgrading to 3.0, I haven’t noticed any appreciable difference to battery-life; it lasts about a day between charges, with Mail checking every hour, push for calendar and contacts, and medium–light use of the browser, NetNewsWire, Tweettie, and Peggle.

Perhaps try a restore from backup to see if that fixes your problems. If not, there may be a hardware fault within the phone itself that has caused the battery to lose a significant amount of its capacity. I think the latter is unlikely, though — I’m not sure what kind of fault could cause it to do that so quickly.

milhous
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2009, 08:26 PM

I have to agree with gunnar. Battery life on my 3G S is pretty bad. Something is really chewing through the battery--hoping that it's gotta be a bug in the OS (among other bugs people have found).

I was out all day, with 3G service and Wi-Fi turned off. After a few hours in Manhattan and on my way back home, battery life was down to 10%.

And for anyone that's curious, I did calibrate the battery last night. Charged it up all the way, and depleted it until it was automatically shutdown.
F = ma

milhous
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2009, 08:29 PM

This is definitely an issue which will hopefully be rectified in an OS update:

Apple - Support - Discussions - Battery hot after 3.0 update ...
F = ma

gunnar  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 21, 2009, 08:30 PM

I'm not a heavy phone user. I maybe talk on it once a day for 5 minutes, the rest it's just on stand by. Maybe 2 texts a day and 1 google search. It was fine before the 3G update. I could leave it on standby for 3-4 days. Now it's dead by the end of the day.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2009, 03:15 AM

On my 3G I have noticed no difference in battery life before and after the 3.0 update.

Two guesses though as to what you guys have experienced.
• push services
• runaway processes

If it's the latter that would easily explain why the iPhone got hot. Have you tried a forced reboot?

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2009, 05:35 AM

Why a forced reboot? Just shut it down and restart it normally.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2009, 06:36 AM

I've been told that will force the iPhone to rebuild caches. But I don't know for sure. Maybe that's bull.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2009, 07:42 AM

Ah, OK. I have no idea if that is the case or not.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 22, 2009, 08:22 AM

Try it and see if it changes anything about the battery life... I think that's not too big a task to try, since it would take what-maybe an extra minute? It sounds like a reasonable tactic to me, especially since this "poor battery life" issue is not very common.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

cteselle
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 22, 2009, 02:39 PM

I too am experiencing the poor battery life after the 3.0 upgrade on an original iphone. Disabling push/bluetooth/wifi did seem to help a bit, but it's still worse than 2.2.1.

Friday night, I was even watching the battery life going down while plugged in (both wall outlet and USB). Appeared that the phone was using more power than what was supplied.

Many threads about these issues on the Apple Support forums.

Bearsfan34
Jun 25, 2009, 01:51 PM

Wow.

Guess my experience is in the minority. Have a 32GB white 3GS, and my battery life has been AWESOME.

Then again, I roll differently than most do. I use my iPhone all day long at work (9 hours). There's always a podcast or song playing. I have 3G turned on. Wifi off. Notifications off. Push off. EQ set to either None (podcasts) or Rock (music). I may use YouTube for 1-5 minutes on 3G. For about an hour every day I turn Notifications on for AIM, and may exchange 10-15 IMs in about 1 hour or so.

I don't have much use for Push/Notifications, I sit at a desk with a MacBook Pro all day, so I don't need notifications of stuff I have right in front of me.

When I start the day at 100%, I'm down to anywhere from 60% to 74% after such use as described.

For the 3 days I used 3.0 on a regular iPhone 3G, I didn't notice any issues either.

-Core i5 MacBook Pro, 500GB HDD, 4GB RAM; iBook G4 1.2GHz, 1.25GB RAM
-5G white iPod 30GB; original U2 iPod 20GB mono; now on 32GB Black iPhone 4
-...oh, and a PC too.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 02:25 PM

My battery also seems to go down rather rapidly. More rapidly then I expected. I am hoping that it is just an issue with the thing being so new and the battery meter just isn't fully calibrated yet... we'll see.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2009, 10:02 PM

I haven't noticed any change in battery life. Non-jailbroken 3G here. Email checks every 30 minutes, RSS feeds all day, Google calendar pushed via Exchange, and music playing all day work. Battery may go down to 70%...60% on a long day.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2009, 07:22 AM

My 3Gs is clearly running out juice before my 3G did, not sure about my wife's 3G (which was upgraded to 3.0)
~Mike

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2009, 07:41 AM

Interesting. No problems, or changes, to report here. Battery life seems about the same.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2009, 11:26 AM

Ditto, which is actually very disappointing. I had hoped that OS 3.0 would see some optimisations that would improve battery life.

Edit: iPhone 3G btw.

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2009, 02:36 AM

Hmm. I think I'll wait on the 3.0 until this is resolved. Battery life is everything.
2002 Mac Mini i5 8GB 256GB SSD
2013 Macbook Air 4GB/128GB
iPad Mini A7 32GB

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2009, 04:52 AM

Battery life seems pretty good on my iPhone 3G (s). I only need to charge the phone every 2 days. My previous iPhone barely lasted 1 day.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

dmcnickle
Senior User
Jun 29, 2009, 06:44 PM

I read on another forum that a user with battery life issues after upgrading to 3.0 narrowed it down to "FindmyiPhone". This just might be the issue with me. I have it turned on and cannot figure out how to turn it off.
I have horrible battery life on my 3Gs and it wasn't bad until I turned on "FindmyiPhone" In fact the first weekend I had the iPhone, I didn't have FindmyiPhone turned on and the battery charge lasted almost the whole weekend. Now i

Anyone know how to turn it off?

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Jun 29, 2009, 08:31 PM

You turn it off the same way you turned it on...Settings--Mail/Contacts/Calendars--MobileMe--slide the "Find my iPhone" switch to "off"

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2009, 10:05 PM

My battery life seems better than before (iPhone 3G).

-t

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 29, 2009, 11:58 PM

Battery life less on my 3G running 3.0. Perhaps the 3Gs has more power savings in the hardware?
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

techchick99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2009, 08:15 AM

I do not have an iPhone, but find your discussion really interesting. Two of my friends just got new phones (a Nokia and a Sony Ericsson) and both complained about the bad condition of the battery. Maybe it is a broader issue and the supplier of the batteries needs to optimize its production process.

macmad
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2009, 08:42 AM

I also think there is an issue. My two year old 2g would last for a few days, but I find I'm charging my new 3gs daily. Settings are the same, but the 3gs is obviously running 3.0. It usually takes a few charge cycles for a new battery to reach full capacity, but I should be past that by now.

newmacnut
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2009, 03:36 PM

I have an iPhone 3G and since the upgrade my battery is getting crazy hot and dieing in record time. The first couple days after the upgrade it seemed fine. It is steadily getting worse. A coworker using Push and bluetooth is 30 minute charges. It used to last at least 4 hours with the constant usage.

ndptal85
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2009, 01:43 AM

Guys I've managed to narrow it down to my Mobile ME account. I only use MobileME on my phone for my .Mac email account and to sync my Calender over the air. Well turning off the calendering function got my phone back to normal. To test it again I turned the calender back on and my phone started heating up again. Leaving the Mail enabled did not seem to cause any problems.

So until 3.0.1 comes out just shut off everything but your Mail on Mobile ME.

For everyone who this DOES and DOES NOT work for please reply and let everyone know your results.
Main Computer and EyeTV 200 DVR: Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66Ghz 2GB Ram 160GB HD.
Road Warrior: MacBook White 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo 2GB Ram 80GB HD.
Kubuntu Book: Dell Lattitude C400 running Kubuntu Linux 6.06 1.33 Pentium 3 CPU 1GB RAM 40GB HD with Creative laptop speakers (it only has one speaker).

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2009, 01:55 AM

What's up with Apple not getting MobileMe working.

For more than a year, MobileMe has been in a state of chaos and disarray.

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2009, 03:57 AM

I'm with turtle. I get the impression ever since its inception I've been hearing about MobileMe issues. Be that setup trouble or plain interruption of service. Reminds me of the products from another big software company. And it's starting to sound more like Mobile ME than MobileMe at this point.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 11, 2009, 08:06 AM

Harsh, Simon. Probably accurate, but harsh none the less.

I've been watching my own phone's (a new 3GS) battery life, and I'm typically getting about three days per charge. I use the phone portion for somewhere around an hour a day total. I have two Gmail accounts that I get push from every 30 minutes (sometimes I shift it to every 15 minutes), and I play a game for somewhere around 20 minutes per day. Plus there's the occasional Google search or other online activity. I thought that was a lot of stuff going on... But I have never subscribed to MobileMe, and I don't apparently have anything running in the background that eats up battery life. Connecting poor battery life with MobileMe makes all sorts of sense, especially in that many people are talking about syncing data with it, along with receiving .Mac mail.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2009, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Harsh, Simon. Probably accurate, but harsh none the less.
Sure, it was exaggerated of course and hence the . Personally I don't use it either, but I have several colleagues who do. I just don't think it sounds like other Apple products. It seems to involve more tinkering than usually required in Apple world. And it appears to sporadically misbehave or drop out for no obvious reason. It's a pain to 'debug' too - Apple's secrecy certainly doesn't make things easier. And that, to me, sounds a bit like the products of another well known company.

bosox0898
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2009, 02:41 PM

If you restore to factory settings and install 3.0 fresh, and not upgrade then sync all of your contacts etc. you shouldn't have a problem... there's something with upgrading from 2.2.1 and custom settings in that ver. that gives problems and drains the battery. I beleive it checks push email constantly if i'm not mistaken. i had the same problem initially and did this and my battery life went pretty much back to normal. This same issue has been discussed extensively over at the iphone blog forums.

ndptal85
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2009, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by bosox0898 View Post
If you restore to factory settings and install 3.0 fresh, and not upgrade then sync all of your contacts etc. you shouldn't have a problem... there's something with upgrading from 2.2.1 and custom settings in that ver. that gives problems and drains the battery. I beleive it checks push email constantly if i'm not mistaken. i had the same problem initially and did this and my battery life went pretty much back to normal. This same issue has been discussed extensively over at the iphone blog forums.
The issue is with Mobile Me. Yes you can wipe your phone and set it up as new but then you lose all of the stored data in all of your apps. So anyone with apps that keep notes or files, as well as video games will see them all wiped free of saved data. This is not an acceptable solution and clearly Apple does not expect people to completely wipe their iPhones everytime an OS update comes out. Its a bug, and instead of wiping your iPhone turn off your MobileMe syncing features and wait for 3.0.1 to come out.
Main Computer and EyeTV 200 DVR: Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66Ghz 2GB Ram 160GB HD.
Road Warrior: MacBook White 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo 2GB Ram 80GB HD.
Kubuntu Book: Dell Lattitude C400 running Kubuntu Linux 6.06 1.33 Pentium 3 CPU 1GB RAM 40GB HD with Creative laptop speakers (it only has one speaker).

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 11, 2009, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by bosox0898 View Post
If you restore to factory settings and install 3.0 fresh, and not upgrade then sync all of your contacts etc. you shouldn't have a problem...
How very *un*Apple. When I buy Apple I do so because I don't want to deal with undocumented processes to achieve optimal performance.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2009, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I'm with turtle. I get the impression ever since its inception I've been hearing about MobileMe issues. Be that setup trouble or plain interruption of service. Reminds me of the products from another big software company. And it's starting to sound more like Mobile ME than MobileMe at this point.
Harsh but fair. I still use it, simply because when it works, which in all fairness is 99% of the time for me, it works extremely well.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2009, 07:40 AM

I just bought a 3GS and I am not impressed by the battery life.
I charged the phone yesterday and it was fully charged before I went to bed, so I disconnected it. By morning, in standby mode, it was at 80%!

No push. No MobileMe. 3G was active and so was Wi-Fi, but it was in standby mode. Doesn't 20% down in 8 hours seem excessive to anyone?

My old 2G phone maybe lost 5% overnight, if that.

By the end of the day, after about 2 hours of use, it was down to 20% left. This doesn't seem very good.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2009, 08:13 AM

Calibrate the battery. Both me and my wife have done this and get if not great, at least acceptable battery life.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2009, 08:40 AM

My iPhoned co-workers always seem to be charging their iPhones.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2009, 09:33 AM

FWIW, I'm pretty satisfied with the battery life from iPhone OS 3.0 on my 1G iPod touch.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 21, 2009, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
FWIW, I'm pretty satisfied with the battery life from iPhone OS 3.0 on my 1G iPod touch.
Same here with 3.0 on my iPhone 3G.

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 23, 2009, 03:03 AM

I just backed up my iPhone 3G with iTunes. If I upgrade to 3.0 can I go back if I'm dissatisfied with battery life?
iPad Mini A7 32GB

Rumor
Jul 23, 2009, 03:15 AM

I have noticed that not only has the battery life been diminished, but also the wifi range detection. I have an iPhone 3G.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 23, 2009, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
I have noticed that not only has the battery life been diminished, but also the wifi range detection. I have an iPhone 3G.
I'm glad you posted this.. I've not seen a battery decrease, but wifi has been totally flaky.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 23, 2009, 08:51 AM

I don't have experience prior to the 3GS, but I've been quite amazed at the WiFi networks my phone suggests I connect to-on the freeway (I'm the passenger!) in certain parts of town I can pick up hotel networks, and just wandering around I've had networks from the other end of the shopping center (100 yards at least) show up. Is it possible that the newer hardware and/or antennas in the 3GS are that much better than those in the 3G and the firmware that takes advantage of them is letting the 3G users down?

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2009, 01:20 AM

SOAB:

I upgraded and can confirm that the 3.0 update to my iPhone 3G has a very negative impact on WiFi reception. SOAB.

Also, now the phone is responsive to general use for awhile on the ATn'T network, but in around 5-10 minutes of use becomes very slooooooooow, and unresponsive, or better, barely responsive to touch input, which lags badly by 5-15 seconds after an executed touch. A restart gains responsiveness, which is then lost after use. SOAB!!!

THE GOOD: Battery life has not been negatively impacted whatsoever. Knock on wood. Cut and paste function is fantastic, kudos.

The 3.1 update that Apple surely must be delivering soon should address these issues for 3G users. I've only had it a year and it can't pony the 3.0 OS? Has to be a software issue since it runs well for awhile after restart.

If the truth is that 3.0 is too much OS for the horsepower of the iPhone 3G, I'd like to know. I'm hoping that is not the case.

I want to go back to my 2.2.1.
( Last edited by QuadG5Man; Jul 24, 2009 at 01:51 AM. Reason: apparently this is not news, I read Apple support discussions after post)
iPad Mini A7 32GB

QuadG5Man
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2009, 02:37 AM

I 'reset all settings' and PERFORMANCE HAS MUCH IMPROVED. For some reason that seems to have freed up some RAM on the phone.

Reset all settings is located at Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings

Comments: WiFi seems to have improved a bit, but still is not even close to as strong as before the 3.0 update. Performance while browsing on the cell network is now acceptable, but slightly less responsive than before. GPS mapping seems fine. When I go to my voicemail the screen says 'Cannot Connect to Voicemail' with a one-touch button to call your voicemail. :/ Hopefully I'll figure out what that's all about.
iPad Mini A7 32GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules