Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Safari on iPad-real Internet or forced mobile?

Safari on iPad-real Internet or forced mobile?
Thunderbird
Senior User
Apr 8, 2010, 02:10 PM

Does Safari on the iPad work like the desktop version or the iPhone version? There are a few web sites that I visit that force the mobile version on my iPhone. What happens on the iPad?

-Q-
Apr 8, 2010, 02:44 PM

Depends on the site. Seems most are defaulting to the desktop version, but some are giving me the choice (I specifically recall ESPN asking if I wanted the mobile or full site). But it seems most of the sites I go to give me the desktop version.

Thunderbird  (op)
Senior User
Apr 8, 2010, 02:50 PM

What happens at http://www.NASCAR.com ? That site always forces mobile on the iPhone, and it doesn't give the option of switching to desktop.
( Last edited by Thunderbird; Apr 9, 2010 at 08:22 AM. )

-Q-
Apr 8, 2010, 02:56 PM

Never been to that site before, but that looks like the full desktop site to me (minus the missing Flash elements):

Thunderbird  (op)
Senior User
Apr 8, 2010, 03:01 PM

Cool... thanks! That is the normal version, so it looks like web sites see the iPad Safari as a desktop browser instead of mobile. That's good news, because it would suck to have the mobile versions forced on the iPad.

Trekkie
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2010, 03:07 PM

Would be nice if I could access my MobileMe account on my iPad instead of being forced to the oh so helpful guides page.
-Trekkie
To point, click and boldly go...

-Q-
Apr 8, 2010, 03:07 PM

Yeah, it seems like they're either not searching for the iPad's browser ID as a mobile version (even tho' it runs the iPhone OS) or the screen size is big enough that they'll deliver the full site. ESPN gives you a choice, so hopefully sites will at least do that instead of forcing you to mobile.

Forum Links
Forum Rules