Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iPod HD noise

iPod HD noise
Burn
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2003, 05:05 PM

Heyo,

I think my 10g iPod is 'going'.

I was able to surf my library quickly before plugging in, but once I did I got the Apple logo and no link to my machine. I unplugged and tried to turn on.. nada - Apple logo only.. then I noticed.. the HD is making a very noticeable whining sound - much a like an old HD.. I don't think I ever noticed THAT before.. Does yours do that? I have a 5g also that is out of the house right now so will have to wait for it to come home to compare.

Currently the iPod is running it's diagnostic mode.. showing an icon of a spinning CD and magnifying glass..

Sketchy!

Will post back in a few minutes when the scan is done..

Burn  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2003, 05:14 PM

Ok,

So it passed the diagnostic.. able to play songs..

Plugging in with the Firewire - back to the diagnostic mode again..

Anyone seen this? anyone?

Burn  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 17, 2003, 05:37 PM

Update,

Diagnostic scan while plugged into computer passed.. but still no connection. Simply reverts back to the Apple logo and waits..

Tried another FW cable, same thing. Drops into the diagnostic mode.

Tried plugging into wall to chk FW port on iPod, charges fine.

Guess it's time to give Apple a jingle.. good thing for warranties.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2003, 02:40 PM

Did you try the usual stuff, like resetting the iPod, (maybe after that) re-installing the firmware etc? I had some issues with my Original 5 GB iPod, doing the way described above worked for me...

Good luck!

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2003, 09:08 PM

I have the 20 GB and it cannot be heard over the noise of my fanless iMac (wonderful, they made it convect - now get a quieter internal HD!) . If our models are at all alike, your HD may indeed be almost broken.

I would suggest leaving it alone for a while, a couple hours, then plugging it in and running iPod Software Update and doing a Restore - that will ensure that there's no software problems.

Come to think of it, it might be that it's fragmented and is just switching around on the disk a lot, which an iPod is not used to doing - ti's used to reading songs in a linear fashion, smooothly.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

JB72
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2003, 11:07 PM

iPod noise. That got me thinking of a crazy new product we need to see.

OK it looks a lot like the iTrip stylewise. It acts as a powered microphone that records onto the iPod in high quality MP3. It also comes with an iPod sleeve that acts to blimp the sound, making this little guy even more quiet. Give this to a friend, along with a simple boom mic, and he's now your instant, super portable sound man!

You: Sound?
iPod Guy: Rolling.
Your Uncle (grumpy): Another Switcher Parody. Scene one apple. Take seven.
You: Annnnnnnd action!

after the take is complete

You: Great! Did we get that?
iPod Guy: Yup. I just love recording sound with this iPod.
Your Uncle: Argg.

Burn  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2003, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by andreas_g4:
Did you try the usual stuff, like resetting the iPod, (maybe after that) re-installing the firmware etc? I had some issues with my Original 5 GB iPod, doing the way described above worked for me...

Good luck!
Thank you andreas_g4,

Yes, tried all the resets.. I can't reinstall the firmware or anything because I can't get a connection to the computer.

Right now when I plug it in the Apple logo comes up.. click click click then instead of the Do Not Disconnect sign coming up - I get the playlists and backlight comes on (noticed the battery is not charging either).. then it reboots back to Apple logo.. and cycles over and over.

Originally it would just drop into the diagnostic mode (spinning disk and magnifying glass on the screen), but it doesn't anymore.

Sending in tomorrow.
( Last edited by Burn; Jan 19, 2003 at 03:31 PM. )

Burn  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2003, 03:29 PM

I think the 'noise' from th HD is normal. I checked a few iPod's and they all sound similar. It is only there for the few seconds that the HD spins up/down. Turn your iPod off.. then turn it on and play a track - hold it to your ear with the area with the ports/switch toward your ear. It spins down fast so be quick.

I let it play itself down to no battery power, tried it - no. Charged for a bit, tried, no.

I can't do any software repair/installs because I can not get a connection to the desktop/iTunes. The battery charger works fine from a wall outlet - and my other iPod syncs perfectly.

Thank you for your help cdhostage.

Originally posted by cdhostage:
I have the 20 GB and it cannot be heard over the noise of my fanless iMac (wonderful, they made it convect - now get a quieter internal HD!) . If our models are at all alike, your HD may indeed be almost broken.

I would suggest leaving it alone for a while, a couple hours, then plugging it in and running iPod Software Update and doing a Restore - that will ensure that there's no software problems.

Come to think of it, it might be that it's fragmented and is just switching around on the disk a lot, which an iPod is not used to doing - ti's used to reading songs in a linear fashion, smooothly.

Burn  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2003, 03:42 PM

Sweet

Previously the forced FW mode wouldn't work.. just tried ALL steps once more before filling out the forms and it WORKED.

No lost info now (was 90% backed up originally).

I keep all my tunes on the HD as well so no loss there either..

Will try updating software now to see if I am saved.

Here's the Apple link btw (no breaks),
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60950

Burn  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 19, 2003, 05:15 PM

Update Two

DL'd the iPod Software and managed to wipe and re-install.. didn't work perfectly so I was thinking it would be unfixable.. Tried again (seem to remember many ppl having problems with the process) and it worked.

Sync'd up the 7gigs+ of my music and have connected/disconnected several times now without a hitch.

Back in business.

Thank you guys for the help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules