Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do you bear arms? The MacNN Firearms Thread.

Do you bear arms? The MacNN Firearms Thread. (Page 2)
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2005, 12:28 PM

Do I bear arms? You're kidding, right?

Yes, yes I do. I have a CC permit, and often carry a pistol on my person. Lately I've taken to a S&W 396 .44 Special. Only 18 ounces, but has incredible stopping power.

( Last edited by Shaddim; Apr 6, 2005 at 12:54 PM. )
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2005, 12:30 PM

Yes.

Some firing pins are difficult to remove though.

It'd be easier to block the trigger.

Easiest is to have no ammunition.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2005, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by RAILhead:

Smith & Wesson.

Maury
Don't you just love the feel of a S&W? Such awesome pistols.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2005, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by discotronic:

when I was in the Navy.

M16A2 machine-gun

malvolio
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2005, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by euchomai:
I I hope I never have to use it, but if I do it means I've either saved my life or the life of a loved one.
If you successfully did so, you would be a rare individual. Gun deaths by suicide and accident occur much more frequently than justified homicides.
(emphasis mine)

I don't currently own any guns, but I have in the past fired a number of hunting rifles, one assault rifle and one .38 revolver.
In the future, I may purchase a hunting rifle. I would never consider owning a handgun.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2005, 12:44 PM

I shot an intruder dead set on killing my family back in '92.

He got 5 rounds off at me before I got my single, but albeit accurate shot off.

My family got to live, and he got a chalk outline.

historylme
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2005, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by E's Lil Theorem:
It's a tradition in my family for the males to own a handgun. At the moment, I own a Beretta 92 Brigadier Inox, 9mm (full size, weights just over 2lbs unloaded).

Unfortunately (fortunately?), the tradition is dying. Most of my cousins who have boys don't plan on buying them their own piece. My brother, who bought me mine, says he wont buy my nephew one, but he will teach him how to shoot (and gun safety, etc.).
That's one beautiful looking piece. I personally don't want to own one or have one in the house, but I do admire them and have fired them.

Angelo78
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2005, 12:59 PM

I only have a Sig 220 at the moment. I've owned a Glock 17, Ruger GP100, Sig 226 and a CZ 452 American.

Radman, owning more than one firearm is like owning more than one computer, car, watch, camera or anything else that you may enjoy. I know a few guys that own literally hundreds of watches. Do they need all of them? Of course not, but it's a hobby and they have fun collecting them and wearing them. Owning multiple guns is no different. Going to the range one day you may feel like using a particular caliber handgun. Another day something different, either caliber-wise or maybe a different size (physical size) gun. If you're in a long range target mood you'll want to be using a rifle.

It is a big responsibility owning and handling firearms. Getting proper knowledge on handling and firing whatever you may own or use is very important. That video of the cop shooting himself is a very good example of poor training and judgment. That handgun should have been checked before the demonstration. All that was needed is to remove the magazine and look to see if there are any cartridges in it. Then rack the slide to clear a round out of the chamber...if one is in there. It would have taken him about 5 seconds to do this. It's a shame he's not a very responsible owner and user of firearms.

Angelo

historylme
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2005, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by unkle_brains:
I can't believe my eyes! It's judgement day!

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2005, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Because it makes them feel powerful. I had a college friend that had a bunch of guns arond. He wasn't a gun nut, but it was just something he did. I honestly felt like he thought it made him safer.

I'm smart enough not to own a gun. In a fit of rage, who knows what someone might do.
The age old conundrum: when someone breaks into your house in the middle of the night, what will you do?

Me? I'll shoot him -- if it seems he has no gun, I'll blow out his knee or shoulder. If he *does* have a gun, I'll blow out his chest. Am I that good of a shot? You better believe it.

Other people are happy running into a back room, calling the police, waiting for them to arrive, and hoping the criminal doesn't find them. That, or they're content with "dealing" with the crook, ie, giving him money and hoping he'll leave, etc.

Have fun with that if it ever happens. I, however, am smart enough to be prepared in a worst case scenario.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2005, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
Don't you just love the feel of a S&W? Such awesome pistols.
Yeah, it's a sweet little piece. My dad has a real nice S&W .38, but I'm not sure which model so i didn't post a pic.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 6, 2005, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
My plan had been to have the firing pin removed. As long as it were retained, surely it could be put back in if the need arose?
An excellent plan-completely safe, yet completely reversable. And even less trouble than my suggestion. Thanks for the feedback. There are far too many people who, having received a piece of history, decide to destroy it for selfish and/or uninformed reasons. I'm glad that you're not such a person!

Do you know what types of firearms they are? Now I'm curious.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 6, 2005, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by SimeyTheLimey:

Good point, but by U.S. law, an M16A2 is classified as a "machinegun." Technically, it is an assault rifle, which means that it is capable of fully automatic fire and is relatively lightweight and easy to employ. In reality, it is only ounces lighter than the M1 Garand rifle our fathers and grandfathers used in WWII and Korea.

Yes, yes I do. I have a CC permit, and often carry a pistol on my person. Lately I've taken to a S&W 396 .44 Special. Only 18 ounces, but has incredible stopping power.
I've picked up examples of those exotic-metal revolvers, and I have to say NO!!! Having fired a short-barreled steel S&W revolver in .44 Magnum, I am NOT going to even think about touching off such a round (even a .44 Spl) in such a lightweight arm! I am fond of the current contour of my forehead, thank you very much! That aside, I am a S&W fan, particularly since their ownership has changed to a firm that does not believe that inanimate objects are evil.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2005, 01:22 PM

Next question: How many with guns have kids in the house as well?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2005, 01:32 PM

My stepson knows not to bother the guns.

He knows how to use every one of them and has a healthy respect for the damage they can do. I have ingraned in him the extreme danger they pose if misused. He keeps his .22 in the cabinet with the other rifles and only removes it when we go hunting.

Training starts early to avoid a tragedy.

There is no available ammunitoin with in reach either.
My pistol has ammo, but the gun is not loaded as the magazine is kept seperate from it.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 6, 2005, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
Ok, now you're asking INTERESTING questions.

My wife grew up in a home in which guns were a part of her father's life. (WWII combat vet, 82nd Airborne, 4 combat jump stars, 3 Purple Hearts, and oh by the way, PTSD long before it was codified.) The way she was brought up, in reference to firearms, was simple: Don't touch without permission and direct supervision. With good parenting, it stuck.

In my home, my parents didn't like guns at all, so we didn't have any. I had always been interested in guns, so when I moved out, I bought a .22 rifle. Time passes, I meet and marry my wife. We have guns in the household, but because we'd been burglarized twice, we keep them locked up. More time passes, and we have a son. We use a combination of my wife's childhood training and our habit of locking up our guns. Result: our son is almost 18, he is probably safer with firearms than he is with an automobile (and he's good there, too), and he's a well rounded, stable young man.

Firearms, in general, don't belong in the hands of the very young, and in older children (let's say 8 and older) only under direct and intense supervision. Teens are psychologically suited to safely and sanely use firearms with less supervision-but they still need that supervision.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2005, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by history1me:
That's one beautiful looking piece. ...
Yes, it is, especially when you're holding it. And firing it, oh my, pure pimpyness. From what the sales guy told us back when we bought it, this particular model was especially made for some gov't agency (don't remember which one) and it has some cool features that the regular 92 model doesn't. One those features is better balance between the slide and handle, which results in a light recoil for a gun of this size. As I said, pure pimpyness.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2005, 01:40 PM

Does my paintball gun count?

(i have the black one)

And i have a duck hunt gun, and another duck hunt gun that i tore apart and stuffed inside a water gun that looks like a tec 9. and its spray-painted black too. . I bet you've never played duck hunt with a tec 9! I have!

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Apr 6, 2005, 01:46 PM

My entire body is a lethal weapon. I don't need a gun. It's unfair enough as it is.

http://www.hackernetwork.com/flash/stickdeathx.shtml

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2005, 01:47 PM

No, I don't have any guns. Don't think that I would be allowed. I fully support the 2nd Amendment. Everyone should have the right to cary a gun if they want one.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2005, 02:04 PM

No kids -- and neither my cat nor our bird has opposable thumbs.

Maury

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2005, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by MacMan4000:
Does my paintball gun count?
No.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2005, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by ghporter:
Good point, but by U.S. law, an M16A2 is classified as a "machinegun." Technically, it is an assault rifle, which means that it is capable of fully automatic fire and is relatively lightweight and easy to employ. In reality, it is only ounces lighter than the M1 Garand rifle our fathers and grandfathers used in WWII and Korea.
Well, that's a case where the law is an ass. The M-16 is not a machine gun. It's a semi-automatic. It does not fire from the open bolt position, isn't belt fed, etc. It doesn't have a automatic setting, it has a 3 round burst setting. The M16A1 had fully automatic capability, but that still wasn't a machine gun. A machine gun is something like an M-60 or M-249. Those are weapons designed to fire on fully automatic for area supression.

There really isn't any such thing as an "assault rifle." That is something Congress made up. The legal definition of an assault rifle basically boils down to "scary-looking gun." It's all stuff about flash supressors and trigger guards, things that make a gun look agressive, but don't make any difference to lethality. Anyway, didn't the assault weapon ban expire last September?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 6, 2005, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by euchomai:
Living in Oklahoma with the law as it is allows me to carry a gun as long as it is hidden.
How odd. In Alaska, you can carry a gun as long as it's NOT concealed.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 6, 2005, 04:23 PM

Well, that's a case where the law is an ass. The M-16 is not a machine gun. It's a semi-automatic. It does not fire from the open bolt position, isn't belt fed, etc. It doesn't have a automatic setting, it has a 3 round burst setting. The M16A1 had fully automatic capability, but that still wasn't a machine gun. A machine gun is something like an M-60 or M-249. Those are weapons designed to fire on fully automatic for area supression.

There really isn't any such thing as an "assault rifle." That is something Congress made up. The legal definition of an assault rifle basically boils down to "scary-looking gun." It's all stuff about flash supressors and trigger guards, things that make a gun look agressive, but don't make any difference to lethality. Anyway, didn't the assault weapon ban expire last September?
Actually, an M16 and M16A1 ARE capable of fully automatic fire, and the only difference in the M16A2 is that it fires in 3-round bursts instead of fully automatic. By law, if it fires more than once per pull of the trigger, it's a machine gun. Belt-fed weapons are more suitable for large volumes of fire, and are often more difficult to set up and move around; it is apparently no fun at all to schlep an M60 or M240 (which is replacing it), and while the M249 is lighter, it is still quite a bit heavier than an M16A2.

An assault rifle is a military term, defined pretty much as I said in my earlier post. They were first invented by the Germans in WWII, and copied by the Russians immediately after. An "assault weapon" is what you're thinking of, and yes, it was a farce for Congress to enact that "ban" in 1994. The AWB expired last September, and you'll note the startling lack of widespread gun crimes by great numbers of terrorists who could finally walk into a gun store and buy self-loading weapons with scary features. (Of course terrorists use explosives a lot more than firearms, and the firearms they like to use they bring with them, but what's logic got to do with it?)

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2005, 04:38 PM

I plan on getting my CFSC sometime this year if I have the time, a friend of a friend owns a sporting goods store and runs weekend courses. Not sure if it also includes the CRFSC, I'll have to check. Don't know when I'd buy a piece, I have other things I want to spend money on at the moment. Maybe later.

E, nice Beretta!
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2005, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by BoomStick:
I shot an intruder dead set on killing my family back in '92.

He got 5 rounds off at me before I got my single, but albeit accurate shot off.

My family got to live, and he got a chalk outline.
That's just the problem, in most areas the law would state that you were the murderer, that the trespasser was the victim. You would be locked away for a while and would that really be helping your family? If you are really interested in self defense you should be carrying a taser.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2005, 04:49 PM

I've picked up examples of those exotic-metal revolvers, and I have to say NO!!! Having fired a short-barreled steel S&W revolver in .44 Magnum, I am NOT going to even think about touching off such a round (even a .44 Spl) in such a lightweight arm! I am fond of the current contour of my forehead, thank you very much! That aside, I am a S&W fan, particularly since their ownership has changed to a firm that does not believe that inanimate objects are evil.
It's not bad at all, though it did take about ~30 rounds to get used to it. The difference between a .44m and a .44s is pretty substantial, I wouldn't want to fire a .44m from a 1lb pistol either! The balance and feel of the piece is just perfect, makes up for the lighter materials. Plus, after lugging it around all day, you really appreciate that it's a pound lighter.
- Thomas Paine

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2005, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by RAILhead:
The age old conundrum: when someone breaks into your house in the middle of the night, what will you do?

Me? I'll shoot him -- if it seems he has no gun, I'll blow out his knee or shoulder. If he *does* have a gun, I'll blow out his chest. Am I that good of a shot? You better believe it.

Other people are happy running into a back room, calling the police, waiting for them to arrive, and hoping the criminal doesn't find them. That, or they're content with "dealing" with the crook, ie, giving him money and hoping he'll leave, etc.

Have fun with that if it ever happens. I, however, am smart enough to be prepared in a worst case scenario.

Maury
Whatever makes you feel safe I guess. Statistically speaking, a gun in the home is 4 times more likely to be involved in an unintentional shooting, 7 times more likely to be used to commit a criminal assault or homicide, and 11 times more likely to be used to attempt or commit suicide than to be used in self-defense.

I have a bat.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2005, 05:22 PM

i dont own any guns, i think there are way too many guns in america and they are too easy to get. but i also believe in the saying "guns don't kill people, people kill people."

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2005, 05:25 PM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
Whatever makes you feel safe I guess. Statistically speaking, a gun in the home is 4 times more likely to be involved in an unintentional shooting, 7 times more likely to be used to commit a criminal assault or homicide, and 11 times more likely to be used to attempt or commit suicide than to be used in self-defense.

I have a bat.
...those stats are the result of poor gun onwers, not the guns themselves. Since I'm a responsible gun owner, those stats don't mean crap to me.

As for your bat, I hope you're a good throw since I can drop you like a fly from 30 yards, at night, with my handgun. Personally, if someone ever breaks into my home and the alarm doesn't scare them off, I have no intention of getting close enough to them to hit them with a bat -- I'll shoot from the hallway into the living room.

Maury

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Apr 6, 2005, 05:27 PM

doesn't anyone around here own a "real" gun?

finboy
Apr 6, 2005, 05:41 PM

I could see having one gun but why an entire arsenal?
Guns are tools -- you use different tools for different things. How many folks have more than one computer? More than one book?

Or more than one iPod? Some folks collect guns and enjoy shooting different ones.

badidea
Professional Poster
Apr 6, 2005, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by budster101:
http://www.hackernetwork.com/flash/stickdeathx.shtml

Thank you for the one and only good post in this thread!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2005, 05:50 PM

Do I bear arms? You're kidding, right?

Impressive. And here I thought that apart from being Jewish Mac users we had little else in common. Of course, your CCW is making a lot of us jealous.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Apr 6, 2005 at 06:52 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Apr 6, 2005, 05:57 PM

Actually, an M16 and M16A1 ARE capable of fully automatic fire, and the only difference in the M16A2 is that it fires in 3-round bursts instead of fully automatic.
You are running around in semantic circles. You say the M16A2 is capable of fully automatic, but then you say it fires 3 round bursts instead of fully automatic. If it fires 3 round bursts instead of fully automatic, it is not fully automatic, now is it?

By law, if it fires more than once per pull of the trigger, it's a machine gun. Belt-fed weapons are more suitable for large volumes of fire, and are often more difficult to set up and move around; it is apparently no fun at all to schlep an M60 or M240 (which is replacing it), and while the M249 is lighter, it is still quite a bit heavier than an M16A2.
Legal definitions are perfectly appropriate for legal purposes but are quite often quite disconnected from reality. We are here talking about a military weapon. The original comment was about shooting an M16A2 in the Navy. The M16A2 is the military name for what in civilian life would be sold as an AR-15. For military purposes rifles are most definitely not machine guns. It's not just a matter of weight, it's a matter of design and intended use. No matter what Congress says, machine guns do not fire from the closed bolt position.

And yes, I do know what it is like to schlep an M60 and a SAW, and an M-16A2 or A1 and M203 and M9 for that matter. I've schlepped them all (I was an infantryman).

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2005, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by macaddict0001:
That's just the problem, in most areas the law would state that you were the murderer, that the trespasser was the victim. You would be locked away for a while and would that really be helping your family? If you are really interested in self defense you should be carrying a taser.
I think you just made an excellent case for the American justice system. And the taser does not do much to assailants who are on certain drugs.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

bubblewrap
Senior User
Apr 6, 2005, 06:39 PM

I too have a CCW permit. As does my wife.
Here are a few of mine:

And my wife using her .45.
To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2005, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by macaddict0001:

Have you been drinking? Aside from that in most locales the only requirement for use of deadly force is your belief that a threat is imminent and hence would be perfectly justified in shooting an intruder armed with only a knife or stick, there's hardly anywhere in the country (aside from some nutjob central like Berkely perhaps) where you'd have anything to fear when the guy that broke in was shooting at you whether he shot first or not.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2005, 07:15 PM

Originally posted by ReggieX:

E, nice Beretta!
Thanks!

bubblewrap
Senior User
Apr 6, 2005, 07:19 PM

I bought the wife a beat up old 92F to keep in the car.
Here it is before I cleaned and reblued it.

To create a universe
You must taste
The forbidden fruit.

Dimethyltrypt
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2005, 08:18 PM

FN P90 (silenced) <--- that thing is a beast

my latest investments...a couple of MP5 PDWs in a black case scattered around the house. Mods are silencer + laser + optional scope.
I keep one in my bathroom in case some burglar enters while I'm taking a dump. The case is somewhat easy to hide, given the gun's relatively small size. Oh and add a standard MP5 w/navy trigger to that.
I'm proud of those babies.

M4 W/ x3 scope, silencer and grenade launcher. Just like the ones the Navy SEALs use.

Classic M16 (who doesn't own one anyway???)

Ingram MAC 10 (Actually killed someone with it but don't tell anyone.) I don,t love the recoil of this gun.. made me shoot in the victim's walls. I have to admit it's stylish with the sound supressor though.

IMI Negev in case of war (3 of them are ready to be mounted at strategic points in my house... all windows)

IMI Desert Eagle... (palestinians don,t like em HEHEHEHEHE if u see what i mean)

Sig Sauer, Some kind of magnum (i think it might be a Ragin Bull... not sure tho), pair of glocks (those are just essential),

For the shotties...(useful when my wife locks herself in our room... I had 5 doors repaired.)
Benelli M3 Super 90
Remington can't remember the model
Mossberg (gangsta style.)
and my beloved Franchi spas 12

My useful PSG1 (my friend borrowed it... reminds me I have to get it back from him)
Steyr Aug Scoped.

FN FiveseveN....

Couple o' flashies and HEs In case things go bad.

[Edit] Kinda forgot to add the HK69... which reminds me I have to buy some more rounds for it. Oh and belts for the Negev.
( Last edited by Dimethyltrypt; Apr 6, 2005 at 08:34 PM. )
don't be a MOORON, you lefty terrorist commie.

Sarc
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2005, 09:02 PM

no explosives ?
no anti-tank weaponry ?
you're slippin' ....

btw. theres the M16, A1, A2, A3 and A4 ... I think the A3 also has full auto.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

Dimethyltrypt
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2005, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by Sarc:
no explosives ?
no anti-tank weaponry ?
you're slippin' ....

btw. theres the M16, A1, A2, A3 and A4 ... I think the A3 also has full auto.
A1/Burst-single mode (miss the auto mode, but I substitute with the M4)
don't be a MOORON, you lefty terrorist commie.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2005, 09:24 PM

I don't own any but I recently started taking a class in trap and skeet shooting. So far, I've shot a pump 12-ga, and semi-automatic 28-, 20-, and 12-ga (all Winchester). It's pretty cool but my shoulder gets a little sore after firing that big 12-ga for over two hours.
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 6, 2005, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by CMYKid:
Have you been drinking? Aside from that in most locales the only requirement for use of deadly force is your belief that a threat is imminent and hence would be perfectly justified in shooting an intruder armed with only a knife or stick, there's hardly anywhere in the country (aside from some nutjob central like Berkely perhaps) where you'd have anything to fear when the guy that broke in was shooting at you whether he shot first or not.
That's not the case here in Europe, mostly. Shooting someone, even if they were breaking into your house would almost certainly get you charged with at least manslaughter. In Boomstick's case, where, I assume the intruder fired first (Did Boomstick warn him first or did the intruder open fire unprovoked would also be important), I don't know what would happen, but there would almost certainly be a court case.

I'm a bit of two minds about the whole thing. While Switzerland is about the only country in western Europe where you can fairly easily own guns (Rifles actually, handguns require a permit that is difficult to get), they are extremely strict on their use. In one case a few years back, a Swiss cop marksman shot a guy on his balcony who had gone nuts and was shooting people from the balcony with his army rifle (all Swiss men who've done their military keep their assault rifles at home with 20 rounds of ammo). The marksman was charged with manslaughter and was only cleared in the court case about half a year later.

On the other hand, there was another case where a cop pursuing a man who had just broken into a shop took a shot at the robber in a cowded pedestrian zone and hit a pedestrian in the leg. He got away scott free, even though the robber wasn't armed and hadn't assaulted anyone.

The level of gun related crime isn't particularly high in Switzerland, but then again, apart from the military rifles at home, almost no one carries a gun and the gun related injuries and deaths usually are domestic incidents of suicide or some family guy going nuts and killing his family.

In general though, I like the situation in Europe where almost no one has guns. It's much less paranoid than the way it was when I used to live in South Africa, which was more like the US in that just about everyone and his mother had guns and the level of gun related accidental deaths, suicides and killings was astronomical.

But I don't think one could easily apply the situation in Europe to the US. Most of Europe has never had a big tradition of gun ownership. The US has gun ownership written into the constitution and has a big tradition of owning guns and a huge gun lobby to make sure it stays that way. Even if gun ownership were to be made illegal, there would still be millions of illegal guns in circulation and it would kind of defeat the purpose.

Getting back to Boomstick's gun incident, I don't think it would be right to charge him, since he was obviously defending his home.

Oh well, different places, different customs etc.
weird wabbit

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 6, 2005, 09:53 PM

Legal definitions are perfectly appropriate for legal purposes but are quite often quite disconnected from reality. We are here talking about a military weapon. ...

And yes, I do know what it is like to schlep an M60 and a SAW, and an M-16A2 or A1 and M203 and M9 for that matter. I've schlepped them all (I was an infantryman).
Wow, then you do indeed know all about it. An 11B should, and then some. I was mistaking your responses for those of, shall we say, a less well informed, but good intentioned person. (I didn't pick up any key phrases that identified you as a veteran.)

From a military standpoint, the AR-type rifle is just that, a rifle. Good for point targets and covering fire, quite adaptable, generally reliable. The thing with the Navy corpsman who posted about it is that, as a corpsman, he probably got to qualify ONCE. Ditto for all the other weapons he mentioned. And with that little exposure to the correct terminology, the "popular culture" concepts around that rifle could easily have taken hold better than formal training. Or he just thought it was neat to call it a machine gun.

As an Air Force senior NCO, I kept getting bounced back and forth between the M16A2 and the M9 pistol, and fortunately I got to stay fairly proficient with both-unlike some of my fellow SNCOs I understood that if I was in a bad situation, the junior folks (and that includes junior officers) would look to me for guidance, and I had better be right. Unfortunately I had to correct a few of my marksmanship training instructors for their terminology, and once I had to explain the M9's locking mechanism to one of them. A very sad thing, since I was technically a radio maintainer.

Semantics aside, you're 100% right that, in its military role, the M16 series rifle is not a machine gun. Unfortunately, most of America thinks (incorrectly) otherwise-and that includes the BATFE.

MountainMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 6, 2005, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by bubblewrap:

Here are a few of mine:

Is that an IPSC race gun in .45ACP, or is it a bullseye gun, bubblewrap?
Plato--what's a "Chickie Run"?

The Mick
Senior User
Apr 7, 2005, 12:01 AM

I have a Springfield fullsize 1911 Loaded model. And yes, I have a daughter in the house, but she's only 2. I wanted to keep it cocked and locked (condition 1) in a GunVault, which is a pretty sweet electronic safe, but my wife will have nothing to do with that. So I keep it in a locked case and I have no ammo in the house.

In my area, average Police response time is around 45 minutes, which is pretty damn lousy, so i wouldn't mind having a gun to protect us. My wife says I'm paranoid, but she was all freaked out when there was an article in the paper about how many burglaries were happening in the area. Colorado has the "Make My Day" law which allows a property owner to use deadly force anytime an intruder forcibly enters the property and you feel physically threatened in any way. Even if you kill the intruder you are completely freed of all criminal and civil liability. As it should be IMHO.

I'm not going to call an ambulance this time because then you won't learn anything.

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2005, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by Dimethyltrypt:
For the shotties...(useful when my wife locks herself in our room... I had 5 doors repaired.)
II'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious...

Forum Links
Forum Rules