Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Favorite speakers?

Favorite speakers?
Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2006, 07:30 PM

I've been looking for speakers, and I'm wondering what everyone uses...
I want a 2.1 set under $100,
with no LEDs,
and an off switch

(which puts me out of the running for the soundsticks or creatures, which look so cool but i can't deal with electronics that light up and/or don't have an offswitch...)

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2006, 04:40 PM

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2006, 03:24 AM

ive seen you recommend the z-4i once before brassplayersrock...i too am looking for some speakers, are they really that good?
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

TFunkadelic
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2006, 08:33 PM

I was a big fan of the Klipsch Promedia 2.1's over anything for the longest time...then I got a pair of studio monitors, and I'm very pleased with the way they're sounding.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2006, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ
ive seen you recommend the z-4i once before brassplayersrock...i too am looking for some speakers, are they really that good?
Audio is highly subjective, but I would say they aren't.

And yeah, I tend to go around these boards telling people I don't like them. I think all the low to mid-end Logitech's I've heard sound pretty awful (Z-3's, Z-4's, Z-2300's, and a few others), but I am in love with my Z-5500's which I use with my HDTV box to make watching 24 a nice 5.1 digital experience (I just wish I didn't live in an apartment so I could really crank them up and enjoy them to their fullest).

The thing is that they (the Z-4's and others) tend to be pretty inexpensive so I guess a lot of people buy them. My recommendation for something under $100, since the Klipsch ProMedia's are a little more than that, would be whatever 2.1 system you can find from Altec Lansing.

I don't think anything you get is going to have no LED's at all, but you can just put some black tape over any lights. All the 2.1 systems I've seen have on/off switches, but sometimes they're inconveniently located on the subwoofer.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

ApplCmptrDood
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2006, 11:37 PM

The Creatures have an off button on the back of the woofer, and when you turn off the speakers, the lights go off!
Apparently, I'm a sig violator. I feel honored. Oops.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2006, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by iREZ

i love them. i have a set for my tv and theyre totally awesome. for me the sound quality is awesome for such a low priced product. i'm really picky when it comes to how speakers sound, and yes, compaired to the klipses, these are better. more bass, and the highs dont give out like the klipses. the mids can be slightly weak at times compaired to the klipses, (but not a ball buster) other than that, i'd go for the z-4is over the klipses 2.1s anyday. btw iREZ, are you stalkin me or something? "i keed, i keed"

Originally Posted by ApplCmptrDood
The Creatures...and when you turn off the speakers, the lights go off!
thank you for the chuckle

Originally Posted by Apfhex
would be whatever 2.1 system you can find from Altec Lansing
*wrinkles nose* please have these as a last resort. the Lansings I had, some 2.1 system, cant remember the exact model, were very very cheepy, and sounded like crud. havent touched another set since.
( Last edited by brassplayersrock²; Apr 21, 2006 at 12:10 AM. )

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2006, 01:53 AM

Z-5500's. Love 'em. I used to have them hooked up to my gaming box with an Audigy 2 ZS, but now they sit in the living room hooked up to my media center PC over analog and to my DVD player through optical.

I'm hoping to find an Airport Express and hook it up to those so I can play some hugely awesome sound from my tiny little iBook. :-)

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2006, 07:55 AM

i was talking about big decorative lights like in a distastefully "pimped" car.

i was under the impression that the creatures and the soundsticks had big, useless "under" lights on the subwoofers. was i wrong about this?

i could pay a little more than $100 if it'd get me something super awesomer.

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2006, 08:10 AM

reg the x230 -- i've read numerous reviews that the subwoofer can get overbearing at times. you can't turn it down low enough. this is a deal breaker for me because i listen to music at a low level a lot of the time, and with jazz and early 1900s recordings (a lot of my listening, though not all) a big honkin bass just turns music into mud.

(i listen to plenty of contemporary recordings, rock, hip hop, etc. too)

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 21, 2006, 08:11 AM

anyone tried the logitech z-2300s?
logitech confuses me -- they offer several different models at the same price point...

SLiMeX
Senior User
Apr 21, 2006, 10:20 AM

About 5-6 months ago I purchased Logitech's X-530 (5.1 surround) for $50 at the local Fry's. Although I think it was a fluke that I found this deal, I highly recommend these speakers for anyone wanting to enjoy crisp, clear, surrounding sound. Two thumbs up!
BlacBook | 2.0ghz core duo | 2x320gb | 2gb ram | mba superdrive

Forum Links
Forum Rules