Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Yak's got a Mac: Thoughts, questions, concerns

Yak's got a Mac: Thoughts, questions, concerns
Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2006, 05:54 AM

Brand new, out of the box, finally got home to greet it!
BTO 80gig / 1gig ram model.
I'll cut to the chase...

THIS IS MY FIRST:
-Mac
-new computer not shared with family
-laptop
-LCD screen (tied for first with my new camera)
-wireless device (besides a cell phone, which I don't have anymore, and a couple of RC cars from way back in the day...)
-new computer that's actually new, and not several generations behind

GREAT STUFF:
-It's purty
-OSX is fun
-Front Row is bad ass
-My neighbors have open wireless connections, which is great until I can figure out how to get our wireless DSL modem (connected to the Windows desktop upstairs) to work

BAD STUFF:
-Wheezing noises, like it's breathing through its nose. Is that normal? Sounds like it's coming from the port under the screen. Quiet, but noticeable, and strange. I wouldn't call this a moo at all...
-I don't know if there's a whine as such, nothing loud like I've heard described, but it does get a little quieter sometimes when I run Mirror or Photo Booth. However, the pre-existing noise level is very soft, I can only hear it because I'm working in a silent house at 5 AM. Anyway, I think that getting into any type of work on the computer also makes that particular noise go away...
-The plastic liner around the screen is not attached very well. It's coming off a bit on the left side. This is probably not a big problem but it's certainly annoying.
-It's definitely warm. I'm using it on my lap with jeans for ripping tracks, messing around with the iSight, etc. Now my palms are starting to sweat. I don't know if this is normal for MacBooks or Core Duo laptops in general...

STUFF I NEED TO FIGURE OUT:
-How to use a Mac
-Remapping the "home" and "end" keys so they work the way they should
-Buying a bag

I might try to be stupid and see about returning it for a refund, then turn around and try to get the iPod Nano offer... this may or may not be possible. Probably not possible, especially since it's BTO and none of the problems are major. I might also just keep it, because it seems to be, within reason, pretty good. Maybe I can just bus down to the store and get them to fix the screen liner.

Many thanks in advance for your responses...
Yakov
(back from Israel, after 40 hours of travel)

Oh, and here's a shot of me and my dad from Photo Booth. Fun:

ashesindust
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2006, 06:19 AM

My Macbook is coming today from USPS. I hope my Macbook doesn't come with to many problems. I'll write a post later about my Macbook.

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2006, 06:32 AM

by the way, i'm pretty sure the 'book got a lot quieter when i installed the system updates.
now that the morning's rising, and sounds are coming from outside like birds and people and a few cars, the thing seems damn near silent.
i'll bring it in for that screen liner thing, it shouldn't be coming off like that, but i won't do any stupid **** like trying to trade it for a new one, since i see so many serious problems in here, like real issues...
bedtime folks, love yall

mexicali100
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2006, 10:07 AM

I called the Apple store because my brother had the same situation with his MacBook Pro - he ordered it just a week ago, before the free iPod offer came out. They said to just return it and re-order, since the iPod MUST be on the same receipt as the laptop. Congrats on your new MacBook!

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2006, 10:18 AM

wow, hmm. i'll see if my local store tells me i can do that... OTOH maybe i can live without a Nano. you know what they say, fewer possessions leads to a happier life... keep your life simple.

the1sttransport
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2006, 10:33 AM

And make sure your neighbors don't mind that you're mooching off their wireless signal, there's a campaign of growing momentum to punish people who "steal" signal.

Heavy
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2006, 10:33 AM

Congrats bud. I'm on my first Mac too. My frame around the screen has some play too. I just open it carefully and seems fine. Mine also gets pretty warm, but everyone I've showed this too says oh that's normal for a laptop. They have used Macs, Dells, HP whatever so they seem to think it's totally fine.

I didn't know there were system updates already. Would have a link to this?

maximusbibicus
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2006, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by the1sttransport
And make sure your neighbors don't mind that you're mooching off their wireless signal, there's a campaign of growing momentum to punish people who "steal" signal.
While agree with you, its up to the neighbor to secure his network. From my bedroom I can pick up 7 to 11 wireless networks. Usually more than half are unsecured. Idiots.

No one has access to mine cause its secured.
Macbook 2ghz|2GB|160GB|SD
Mac Mini 1.83ghz|4GB|320GB 7200RPM|Combo
Mac Mini 1.83ghz|4GB|320GB 7200RPM|Combo
iMac 500mhz|768MB|30GB|DVD
iPod Nano 4GB iPod Shuffle 1GB iPhone 16GB White & 8GB Black

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2006, 11:18 AM

yeah, i just set up my house wireless network -- secured, natch. it was funny being on the phone with the Verizon guy (i needed his help with the router configuration)... i asked him about if there's something i need to know in order to connect to the network, and he started talking about control panel, configurations, all kinds of ****... then i told him it was a mac i was using and he said he knew nothing about that... of course on a mac it's 6000x easier... click on the ssid and type the password!

Heavy: click the apple and hit "software updates." it's a completely automated process (and works a f*** of a lot better than Windows Update)

ykv

Forum Links
Forum Rules