Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > bezel imperfect

bezel imperfect
Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2006, 04:07 PM

anyone else have bezel problems? when my macbook came to me the bezel was coming out on the lower left side. they replaced it and now it looks like it's all in but i can press on the part that was coming out and it moves a little bit and i hear a "click." i don't know if that means it will pop out in the future at some point.

i wouldn't want a full replacement macbook, since this thing is damn near silent without fans and the fans are quiet, and there are no other problems. but this thing is a little naggy...

anyone else experience this?

(bezel = plastic frame around screen, says "macbook" on it)

StevenWRX
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2006, 04:40 PM

the plastic bezel around the isight on my former macbook was coming apart. unacceptable from apples QC department. I returned it.
-Rev. C PowerBook 17" 1.5GHz
-iPod Mini 4gb Silver (Rev. B)
-Gaming Rig: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester, Asus A8N-E, 2 Gig Corsair XMS, nVidia GeForce 7900GT PCI-E, Seagate 320gb Barracuda HDD, Samsung 16X Dual Layer w/ LightScribe, Thermaltake Tsunami, Antec 550W True Power 2.0, Saitek Eclipse Keyboard, Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse, Samsung 19" 931B.

drewfus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 21, 2006, 05:04 PM

Hmm...I just saw something about this today. There's a youtube video with a guy who's actually able to take off the entire bezel around the screen. I'm glad that mine doesn't have the problem...but hell, that shouldn't be happening to anyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylwpYgpr1Ko

Yakov  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 21, 2006, 05:14 PM

drewfus: yeah, i could probably do that if i tried

my situation is tuff cause i didn't get the notebook until 2 weeks after it'd been delivered, so i don't think i can get a full replacement if i want one.

i'm just wondering whether i need to really put a lot of energy into pursuing this problem. i don't want to turn into 16 macbooks guy. maybe the next one i got would have a perfect bezel and everything else for sh1t.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2006, 05:19 PM

Mine "clicks" if I press it on the right side, but I simply don't do that so it's not really a problem.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

praxela
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2006, 09:44 PM

Ya'll might not want to read this if you love your macs

OK so I cleaned my screen the way apple says to using a damp cloth, not wet at all. Well it got water IN my LCD. After a few days it got better but still annoying so I called Apple to complain that i did what they said and it messed it up. Apple denied that their manual said that and told me I would have to pay to replace it. I'm brave to say the least so I took it upon myslf to try and fix the problem. The bezel pops right off and goes back on quite easy. So if yours seems to be loose or off a little use your fingernail or something not sharp and pry it off gently then to put it back on line it up then close youtr macbook until you don't hear any pops when you push around the edges.

And yes I did make the screen better so now I can only see a little shadow when I look at the screen from a weird angle.

eldt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2006, 10:06 PM

no bezel problems here.

That video is pretty stupid. Anyone could probably do that. It doesn't prove any sort of defect by Apple.

And if your bezel is a little loose maybe you could simply apply some sort of adhesive behind it and fix it yourself?
MacBook 2.0Ghz White - 1GB, 80GB HDD
-and a few others-

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2006, 02:28 AM

I agree, video is dumb. You can make a partial video about taking anything apart, doesn't prove anything at all.

Everything has slight imperfections... sometimes you just gotta live with them...

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 23, 2006, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82
Mine "clicks" if I press it on the right side, but I simply don't do that so it's not really a problem.
Same.

I'm not overly impressed with the QA on the MacBook.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2006, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82
Just noticed that my BlackBook does that too. Hmm, glad I normally never need to press on the right side.

Forum Links
Forum Rules