Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Stellaris

Stellaris
P
May 23, 2016, 10:13 AM

I know that most of you don't bother with anything resembling strategy games, but this one has got at least a decent chunk of the Internet excited, and you did all play Cities: Skylines a while back, so...

Space strategy sim, but the first one in at least a decade that doesn't try to rip off Master of Orion II. Built on the engine used for CK2 and EU4, but with an in improved interface that is actually being understandable without reading wikis, this is a real time sink. Explore the galaxy, find somewhere to settle, build space stations, build space ships, research fancy techs and go to war with anyone who looks at you funny. Winning is absolutely optional, the main focus is to have fun building your empire.

Somewhat ironically, the best part is the exploration segment in the beginning, not the deep empire management and intrigue that CK2 and EU4 do best. Paradox is infamous for constantly updating its games, though, so that part can be updated over the lifetime of the game.

Anyone tried it?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
May 23, 2016, 10:15 AM

MOOII is one of my favorite games ever. I'm afraid if I try this one, with Paradox's frequent updates, I'll never come out.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 23, 2016, 11:43 AM

Just watched some of Quill's videos. I love 4x but the sheer complexity and management makes me reel.

P  (op)
May 23, 2016, 12:51 PM

I love MoO II (and even the first), but it is disappointing how many have simply tried to copy it over the years. There hasn't really been a good, new space 4X since... forever. MoO III was an ambitious try, but it failed. Endless Space has its points but never grabbed me. Sins of a Solar Empire innovated a bit by making it realtime but made the tech tree too flat.

It remains to be seen how Paradox will handle this, but as a frequent player of their past games, they have truly been learning over the years. These days, updates are announced well in advance, you can downgrade to an older version if you want to, and the main updates to the basegame are included in the price - only definite new features rely on buying an expansion. It gets expensive if you buy all expansion packs directly, but you can get them with large discounts after a few months (my biggest was 92% off in a large bundle) and you can pick and chose which ones you want.

If it looks daunting, the tutorial is actually really good - another first for a game like this. Give it a try and don't be afraid to restart if you mess up.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules