Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Best fashion magazines?

Best fashion magazines?
Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 27, 2006, 06:49 PM

Does anyone know what some of the best men's fashion magazines/journals are? I've just started reading the New York Times Men's Fashion mag, which is quite good, but I'd like to move up a notch if you will. Does anyone know of any other well-reputed fashion mags, preferably ones from Italy?

I'm a novice at fashion "theory" but it's interesting and I want to expose myself to it more.

Cipher13
Nov 27, 2006, 07:38 PM

Ah, "fashion". The concept of making people look as ****ing stupid as possible, in front of lots of cameras.

Gotta appreciate that.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 27, 2006, 09:31 PM

Motor Trend, Car and Driver, Automobile Magazine, to name a few.

marden
Baninated
Nov 27, 2006, 11:38 PM

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2006, 12:32 AM

I hate to pull a Salty (eww haha) but this thread is now closed to straight people.

And all I wanted was a good mag to see the latest trends in sunglasses and jeans (since I'm getting especially tired of those 'look-at-me-I'm-a-Diva' aviators that straight guys and big queens are wearing everywhere)

marden
Baninated
Nov 28, 2006, 12:42 AM

marden
Baninated
Nov 28, 2006, 12:46 AM

OK, here is what looks to be a comprehensive list of fashion magazines for ALL genders and preferences.

Take your pick.

Fashion Publications

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2006, 12:52 AM

EDIT: Wound up being dumber than I thought.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 28, 2006, 07:35 AM

This thread is sooooo metrosexual!

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [ā™¬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 28, 2006, 09:26 AM

Straight intrusion here, but every fashion magazine I've ever seen has been 99% advertising (expensive, BAD advertising) and <1% content. Columnists gush about which buttons the designer uses and skip the whole matter of how the clothes fit or wear. "Articles" tend to be fanboy or rants, none of which has any useful content either. It's like "how many glossy pages can we fill with nonsense?"

In women's fashions, you can tell the designers that don't like women at all (and I mean as a group, not as a sexual preference) by just how stupid and damaging their "designs" are. I can't help but think that most women's shoe designers must really hate women badly. In men's fashions, designers are usually less obviously androphobic, but they still ignore true style for glitz.

Fashion is always ephemeral, while style is enduring. Connery as Bond had STYLE-gallons of it. It's why Brooks Brothers still sells suits, and why those suits look basically the same as suits they sold 40 years ago. Style trumps fashion. I wear as much "classically styled" dress clothes as I can and shun "fashionable" clothes because of this.

Oh, and you don't have to be either gay or metro to like to look good.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Sbtrfuge
Baninated
Nov 28, 2006, 09:33 PM

"Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months."

-- Oscar Wilde

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2006, 10:07 PM

Um, I read fashion articles/look at adverts because I learn things that suit me (no pun intended). For instance, I learned where to order vintage-style tailored oxford shirts, or narrow ties, or a smart, fitted suede jacket. I don't live in London or Milan, so if I want to find high quality products with nice details, I often have to look long and hard. So what if I'm picky, I want stuff that looks good on me, and I'm willing to do the necessary work. If you have any qualms with fashion in general, then just stay out of this thread.

As for Brooks, they have nice suits but they are certainly not the nicest you can find. They pale in comparison to what you can get on Savile Row, but people are brand whores so they hear Brooks and think that it is the best you can get. I have some of their oxfords, which are very nice, but I would rather hunt around and find something that suits my tastes more, rather than just cough up $150 for another shirt which looks like every other shirt.
( Last edited by Kerrigan; Nov 28, 2006 at 10:14 PM. )

Sbtrfuge
Baninated
Nov 28, 2006, 11:34 PM

If that's what makes you feel worthwhile.... personally I don't need clothes and hairgel to feel confident and sure of myself.

Kerrigan  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2006, 11:59 PM

Does quoting things make you feel better about your lack of a proper undergraduate education? Does pathologizing other people help you depathologize yourself? Do I need to sit here and tell you how worthless and empty your interests are, or do you already suspect it on a subconscious level?

Oddly the only person that "gets" my request is marden.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2006, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
That's not strictly true. I got it but didn't bother to post since I'm only really interested in what's under ladies' fashion. Esquire and GQ seem like likely candidates but then I'm sitting here in a pair of combats and kung-fu slippers, so what would I know?

Kyle Dreaden
Forum Regular
Nov 29, 2006, 02:38 AM

I'm a very much straight male but I certainly do like to look my best. I read GQ as well as thesatorialist.com

I think it's silly to say you have to be gay to have good taste. I've seen plenty of gay men with horrible, tacky, nasty fashion sense. Quite the double standard.

I wear suits quite often, trying to recreate the mod lifestyle. My favorites are my black three button Paul Smith suit and my two button grey ralph lauren black label suit.

In my opinion, money should be put into shoes, suits, and a good watch. Oh, and jeans too. Then again, I'm Italian and the first thing I look at when I shake a guy's hand is his shoes. Good quality shoe says a lot, at least the way I've been raised.
Desktop: 24" Aluminum/Black iMac 2.4GHz | 4GB RAM

Notebook: None | Want to buy a 12" Powerbook | PM ME!

DakarĀ²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2006, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules