Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > VGA CABLE for DVD to TV?

VGA CABLE for DVD to TV?
meetingpeopleiseasy
Jun 11, 2001, 10:08 AM

What kind of cable do I need? I have a TiBook with a new Samsung TV with video ports on the front and back. I thought it was like my girlfriends iBook,, (real easy to hook up) But alas I must need a VGA cable to video cable? Please help me out.
http://www.december9.net

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2001, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by meetingpeopleiseasy:
<STRONG>What kind of cable do I need? I have a TiBook with a new Samsung TV with video ports on the front and back. I thought it was like my girlfriends iBook,, (real easy to hook up) But alas I must need a VGA cable to video cable? Please help me out. </STRONG>
Hi,
If your Samsung has regular rca composite video inputs in the front and back, you need a composite video cable (you can get at any electronics store -- Radio Shack has them). Your TiBook should have come with a svhs-to-composite adapter. If your tv has svhs connections, you can get a SVHS cable.
good luck,
dave

dgsba
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2001, 07:41 PM

if only it were that easy, dave. I don't have a TV, so I have been amusing myself by watching DVDs on my powerbook. Last week, I went to my brother's place and we wanted to watch a DVD (Bottle Rocket...awesome!) on his big screen TV. After many attempts involving futzing with the resloution and mirroring options, I had to call Apple Tech Support to figure out how to do it (which is a little embarassing since I work as an electrical engineer). Here's what they said, and it worked seamlessly:

1. Connect the powerbook to the TV via the S-Video to RCA adapter, with an RCA cable going from the adapter to the television.
2. In the Monitor Control Panel, drag one screen away from the other. This will activate spanning, as opposed to mirroring.
3. (Still in the Monitor Control panel) drag the menu bar from little screen with the computer on it to the little screen with the television on it.
4. Set the screen resolution of both the monitor and the television (in the resolution control strip module) to 800x600
5. Enjoy your DVD

By the bye, the picture quality of normal computer operation (i.e. finder, desktop, etc.) sucks when viewed on a television. DVD picture quality, however, was amazingly clear.

David

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2001, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by dgsba:
<STRONG>if only it were that easy, dave.</STRONG>
Hi David,
The original post asked about what type of cable was needed... A quick search reveals many posts on how to watch DVD's from your PB on a tv, Pismo DVD to TV playback, and many other posts on the same subject.
I guess the point is, do a search of the forum to see if there is any answer to your question, or call Apple Tech support (or also check out their Knowledge Base on-line.
regards
dave

Oink
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 12, 2001, 11:32 PM

For best quality, your best bet is to plug an adb (apple desktop bus) cable, if you have old macs around, or an s-video cable (same thing), into your s-video out port and plug a standard miniheadphone to stereo cable to your headphone jack, since s-video cable doesn't carry sound.

Use the s-video to RCA composite only if your tv doesn't have an s-video input port.

Good Luck

Forum Links
Forum Rules