Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > New iBook RAM

New iBook RAM
Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2005, 05:57 AM

The new 12 inch still has a 133 Mhz BUS but says it takes PC2700

I was under the impression that 133 was still PC2100...... if I buy a new iBook can i reuse the 1 gig stick of PC2100 i have in my laptop now? Or is that PC2700 requirement real?

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

longwood
Jul 29, 2005, 08:02 AM

the memory will run at the slowest speed. even in the old ibooks if you put pc2700 it would still work but it only at the pc2100 speed. usually motherboards except a range of different speeds but they will only run at the slowest speed.
iPhone 4: [32GB]
iPad 2: [16GB | WiFi]
MacBook: [13" | 2.4Ghz | 4GB | 500GB]

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2005, 10:03 AM

I read the iBook Developer Notes last night for the RAM module.

Note: The iBook can accommodate a DDR333 (PC2700) device; however it will run at only 266 MHz.

bri-guy
Jul 29, 2005, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Kenneth
I read the iBook Developer Notes last night for the RAM module.
Kenneth, I just looked over that link and they appear to be the developer notes for the previous generation iBook.

bri-guy
Jul 29, 2005, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by bri-guy
Kenneth, I just looked over that link and they appear to be the developer notes for the previous generation iBook.
This link works better:

http://developer.apple.com/documenta...ware-date.html

Select iBook and then select RAM expansion. The page does say that PC2100 SO-DIMM modules are what should be used.

bri-guy
Jul 29, 2005, 05:14 PM

Apple's iBook Tech Specs page says PC2700 modules should be used. This is strange.

On Crucial's website, both PC2100 and PC2700 1GB modules are the same price, so I guess I might as well go with the PC2700.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2005, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by bri-guy
sorry... since I was comparing the current crop and previous revision of iBooks.

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 1, 2005, 12:02 AM

So, is there a definitive answer to this? I just ordered PC2700 SO-DIMM from NewEgg for $100, so I'm going to assume that it will work fine in my new iBook.

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

Krusty
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2005, 08:43 AM

Well, PC2100 is NOT fast enough for the 1.42 ghz iBook (because it runs a 142mhz system bus rather than 133mhz as on the 12" iBook) so its probably just a case of Apple spec'ing PC2700 because that ram is fast enough to accommodate both models (and since it costs about the same, there's no price penalty for getting PC2700). If you look at the Mac Mini, I believe it says it can use either PC3200 or PC2700 for its 167mhz bus ... so apparently, having ram that is faster than is really needed isn't a particular problem on some of Apple's recent mobos. My *guess* is that PC2100 might actually work on the 12" iBook only ... somebody oughta call Apple and find out.

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2005, 12:08 PM

Since the 12" runs with a 133mhz bus, and PC2100 is 133mhz (x2), theoretically there should be no performance penalty to using PC2100 RAM.

If you already have some PC2100 RAM to use in a new iBook, I'd just use it and save a few bucks.

Captain Obvious  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2005, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Krusty
My *guess* is that PC2100 might actually work on the 12" iBook only ... somebody oughta call Apple and find out.
So is the group's consensus that this answer is correct?

I won't bother calling Apple since they have to tow the company line and say PC2700 is required and the "geniuses" at the Apple store down the street know less than my 8 year old brother. So I was looking for confirmed experimentation from someone who had one already.
And no, we were never talking about the 14 inch iBook.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

bri-guy
Aug 3, 2005, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious
So is the group's consensus that this answer is correct?

I won't bother calling Apple since they have to tow the company line and say PC2700 is required and the "geniuses" at the Apple store down the street know less than my 8 year old brother. So I was looking for confirmed experimentation from someone who had one already.
And no, we were never talking about the 14 inch iBook.
I haven't received my 12" iBook yet and haven't ordered the RAM yet, but I'm pretty sure that I'm just going to go with the PC2700 since the price is more or less the same. I think that you may just have to give it a go with the PC2100 if you want to know if it will work.

It's just kind of odd that two different pages on the Apple website are giving two different answers for the same machine.

Forum Links
Forum Rules