Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Your RSS Recommendations

Your RSS Recommendations
apostacy
Apr 19, 2006, 07:20 PM

Anyone have a recommendation for the best RSS app for OS X 10.2? I've never used RSS before but I know it's been out there for years and I'm wondering what it's all about.

I'm also wondering if there's a web-based RSS viewer? I split my surfing between 3 computers (a PC at work, my laptop & my iMac) and it would be great if I could view from a website instead of being locked into only viewing from one of my computers.
MacBook 2.4 GHz
Mac OS X 10.5.8

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2006, 07:42 PM

Mithras
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2006, 08:44 PM

Thanks to someone else on MacNN (forget who), I've been turned onto netvibes.com. It's a fabulous little RSS/mail/everything reader on one trim little page.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2006, 04:50 AM

NetNewsWire is the daddy of alll RSS applications. They have recently joined with NewsGator (an web based RSS reader) - if you buy a licence you get a NewsGator account. The whole thing synchronises. Works great.

apostacy  (op)
Apr 24, 2006, 10:33 AM

Thanks all. I think I'm going to go with netvibes for now. Google's a great company, but I'm starting to worry about having every aspect of my life on their servers.
( Last edited by apostacy; Apr 24, 2006 at 07:52 PM. )
MacBook 2.4 GHz
Mac OS X 10.5.8

torifile
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2006, 04:16 PM

Another vote for NNW. It's a great app, though I'm not too happy with the newsgator syncing. Since they switched to NG for syncing, I've found my feeds to be out-of-date. I don't know if it's a problem with the beta of NNW or if it's a NG problem. It's frustrating knowing that my feeds are out of date (there are times when NNW says that there are no new stories on digg.com for a day or so and I *know* that's not true). Hopefully they'll work this out.

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 05:26 PM

And NetNewsWire... redirects to netnewswire.techbuyer.com ... where the largest headline is "netnewswire..com" is for sale ?¿?
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 06:39 PM

I second the vote for Netvibes.com. It's the only way I've found that I like to view RSS. It lets you view dozens of RSS headlines on a single page, like a news website, and you are also able to have many other modules (email, weather - pity you can't change where it get its readings from though, box.net, flickr etc.)

It's similar in concept to personalised Google and that Microsoft offering, but more mature.

It's also all free of course. Ah see you went for Netvibes. Well this is just another advert for it then...

threestain
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2006, 06:50 PM

NetNewsWire is the god of RSS readers. Plus the NewsGator syncs work fine with me - never out of sync and always in tune.

its at www.ranchero.com

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2006, 11:05 PM

Safari is plenty good for RSS feeds. I just don't see why one would have a separate app for it.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

threestain
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2006, 07:49 PM

I've just found one problem with NNW at the moment - NewsGator goes down, you don't get to refresh your feeds!

Forum Links
Forum Rules