Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes not importing mp3s all friendly-like

iTunes not importing mp3s all friendly-like
apostacy
Nov 2, 2006, 10:43 PM

A friend gave me these two albums of his band that are in an mp3 format. I copied them from his cd to my hard drive and now I'm trying to get them into iTunes in an orderly way. But I'm having a few problems. The way I'm doing it is just highlighting the songs and dragging/dropping them into iTunes. I tried importing the mp3s that are sitting on my HD*, but that seems to only want to happen song-by-song.

So some of the problems:

He has the songs prefixed with a track number so they stay in order, but iTunes is stripping this number out, which is fine. But then it's not putting them in the correct order. How does iTunes normally get this right with profession cd's?

iTunes is also using the folder's name for both the band name and the album, even though I have a hierarchy in the iTunes folder as BandName > AlbumName > [songs].

Any ideas?

(*By the way, my friend left with his cd, so importing them directly from the cd isn't a possibility. I dont know why I didn't think of that at the time.)
( Last edited by apostacy; Nov 2, 2006 at 11:56 PM. Reason: My Question has been answered)
MacBook 2.4 GHz
Mac OS X 10.5.8

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2006, 10:50 PM

If you Get Info on a song in iTunes, you'll see it has a "track number" field. That's how it knows what order songs from an album go in.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

apostacy  (op)
Nov 2, 2006, 11:36 PM

That pretty much answers my question. Thanks!
MacBook 2.4 GHz
Mac OS X 10.5.8

apostacy  (op)
Nov 9, 2006, 01:53 AM

Having another problem with iTunes and mp3's... this time it's with an iTunes Essentials list of songs that I downloaded. I'm trying to get them to appear in the order they appear on the iTunes Music Store, but they won't co-operate. I changed the name of each song's album to all be the same using Command-I/Get Info, and changed the track __ out of __ to be in the order I want, but that didn't work. So I tried putting them under the same "grouping" and checked that they were part of a compliation. None of these modifications lined them up in the track order in my iTunes library, so I had to resort to modifying the song titles to begin with their track numbers (eg, 01 Carry The Zero, 02 Car, 03 The Plan, etc.).

This worked for iTunes, but then when I loaded the songs into my iPod I got some new arbitrary order of the songs. (The Command-I/Get Info is the same on the iPod as in iTunes.) Anyone have a suggestion for controlling the song order as it appears on the iPod.
( Last edited by apostacy; Nov 9, 2006 at 01:56 AM. Reason: better wording/clarity)
MacBook 2.4 GHz
Mac OS X 10.5.8

apostacy  (op)
Nov 9, 2006, 12:31 PM

Was using my iPod today at work and the tracks are now appearing in order. Not sure what happened.
MacBook 2.4 GHz
Mac OS X 10.5.8

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2006, 12:39 PM

It all depends on what you tell iTunes to sort by. If you set consecutive track numbers, iTunes doesn't care unless you go to View > View Options and click 'Track Number,' then in the iTunes window select 'Track #' from the top bar.

Forum Links
Forum Rules