Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 3rd Generation MBP price dropping fast

3rd Generation MBP price dropping fast
powerbooks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2007, 10:35 PM

Take a look of some eBay closings for last MBP2.16C2D, the price are dropping fast. Those are less than eight moths old machine!

280122960255, claimed to bought in April, with 3 year apple care;
160125181325, cheap without tax;
110135939981, even this is too high!

What's wrong? I am thinking of fetching one. What's the concern of this version? DVD burning speed might be the bigger one. Is the 800MHz bus really matter than the 667MHz?

ibook_steve
Jun 15, 2007, 11:39 PM

No real opinion other than I love my 2.33, but those machines are the second gen, not the third.

Steve

rjt1000
Senior User
Jun 16, 2007, 03:27 PM

The 2.16 ghz (prior generation) 15" MBP's are also available as Apple certified refurbs (with full 1 year warranty) for $1599.

itistoday
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2007, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by rjt1000 View Post
The 2.16 ghz (prior generation) 15" MBP's are also available as Apple certified refurbs (with full 1 year warranty) for $1599.
Yeah, that pisses me off, and makes a lot of other people happy.

bighill
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2007, 07:48 PM

I bought one of the 2.16's for $1599. I called applecare to check on something with the
airport card and the tech told me my machine was built in May and is brand new never
been owned!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2007, 09:37 PM

I laugh when people get mad at refurb/used prices dropping quickly. Or new technology coming out.

itistoday
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2007, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
I laugh when people get mad at refurb/used prices dropping quickly. Or new technology coming out.
It's not like I don't realize it's going to happen. If you were in my position you probably wouldn't be laughing.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 17, 2007, 08:20 AM

Huh?

EVERYBODY here is in your position.

We ALL buy digital equipment, and we ALL get hit by the fact that it's obsolete the minute we unpack it.

I'm not laughing, but man, get a box of pencils and paper if you really want to worry about depreciation. It's your only option.

itistoday
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2007, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Huh?

EVERYBODY here is in your position.

We ALL buy digital equipment, and we ALL get hit by the fact that it's obsolete the minute we unpack it.
This is not true, the conversation is not about owning deprecated equipment, but about selling it, and not everyone does that, and those that do don't sell the same things, or at the same time, or have the same expectations for what their equipment should sell for, or are in the same financial situation, etc. So no, not everyone here is in "my position."

I'm not laughing, but man, get a box of pencils and paper if you really want to worry about depreciation. It's your only option.
100% silly™.
( Last edited by itistoday; Jun 17, 2007 at 01:54 PM. )

uicandrew
Senior User
Jun 17, 2007, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by itistoday View Post
This is not true, the conversation is not about owning deprecated equipment, but about selling it, and not everyone does that, and those that do don't sell the same things, or at the same time, or have the same expectations for what their equipment should sell for, or are in the same financial situation, etc. So no, not everyone here is in "my position."

100% silly™.
when you say you are thinking of "fetching" one, are you talking about selling or about buying one?

i think the prices are fair, since the new revisions comes out and the old ones have refurbs which have the full warranty on them.

what kind of "profit" were you expecting from macbook pros?

realistically, ebay+paypal fees eat up about 10% of the total sale price

and in all fairness, since switching to intel chips, apple can no longer be secretive about it's plans. just by doing "research" (rumor sites and technology journals/financial reports) you can easily figure out when intel comes out with their new hardware, and try to sell your old wares before newer and better comes out.

and we all ARE in the same position as you. we don't have the power to turn back time in order to get a few more dollars for our machines. (maybe that is a secret feature of leopard's "time machine" hahahaha) we are all subject to the same market forces that you're subject to.
Mac User since Summer 2005 (started with G4 mini bought from macnn forums!)

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2007, 06:02 PM

What is amazing is Powerbooks hold their value better than the newer MBPs.....

itistoday
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2007, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by uicandrew View Post
when you say you are thinking of "fetching" one, are you talking about selling or about buying one?
I think you're confusing powerbooks' words with mine.

and we all ARE in the same position as you. we don't have the power to turn back time in order to get a few more dollars for our machines. (maybe that is a secret feature of leopard's "time machine" hahahaha) we are all subject to the same market forces that you're subject to.
Again, no, if you're talking about different markets, then not everyone is subject to the same market forces. I am pissed off about how cheap Apple is selling the previous generation of MBPs, but if I were selling an old Powerbook, I would be pretty happy because the refurbs on that, in my opinion, are priced too high (as romeosc pointed out above as well).

powerbooks  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 18, 2007, 11:28 AM

Sorry for the confusing post.

I am planning to buy my first MBP, after 1.5years of last Powerbook HD 1.67GHz. I am concerned about the so claimed 6x DVD burning speed in the last version MBP 2.16, which is selling like crazy on eBay now. My question is: is the DVD buning speed a factor of limitation for the old MBP compared with the new 2.2 version? I can guess that none of you were able to burn at 6x and have to settle to 4x, which makes me feel "spoiled" by my PB's 8x. And that's the only factors makes me hesitant to buy the older version MBP. I don't think the 800KHz bus speed will make big difference unless your memory is alo=so 800KHz, is it correct?

True, Apple store is selling refurbished one at $1599, but tax charge makes it almost $1700, which is why $1500 is pretty attractive for a less than eight moths old MBP, with the possible to add Apple care if you have extra 350 to spend.

Thanks.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2007, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by itistoday View Post
You mean to say that my MacBook is somehow magically holding its worth better than your MacBook Pro? Or that somehow, you have to work *that* much harder for every dollar than the rest of us?

Cut the bullshit.

If the box did what was worth spending the money on to you when you bought it, then it's still doing what it was worth the money to you. It doesn't matter WHAT you buy, or WHEN you buy it: The next model will ALWAYS be faster/better/smaller/higher-density/cheaper/sleeker/prettier/more desirable (in any combination thereof), and it will, from your perspective, ALWAYS come out *immediately* after you buy yours.

This has to do with the fact that "immediately" is a perception that ranges from days to months in relation to the several years that most of us tend to keep their machines, and that 6 months is an average generation-span these days.

So if you bought it, it must have been worth the money, and it still is. Put on the blinders, quit the whining, and get to work.

Fact of life.

itistoday
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2007, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
You mean to say that my MacBook is somehow magically holding its worth better than your MacBook Pro? Or that somehow, you have to work *that* much harder for every dollar than the rest of us?

Cut the bullshit.
I'm not the one spewing it right now, you'd be better off taking your own advice.

If the box did what was worth spending the money on to you when you bought it, then it's still doing what it was worth the money to you. It doesn't matter WHAT you buy, or WHEN you buy it: The next model will ALWAYS be faster/better/smaller/higher-density/cheaper/sleeker/prettier/more desirable (in any combination thereof), and it will, from your perspective, ALWAYS come out *immediately* after you buy yours.
What are you talking about? Where did I complain that it came immediately after I bought mine?

This has to do with the fact that "immediately" is a perception that ranges from days to months in relation to the several years that most of us tend to keep their machines, and that 6 months is an average generation-span these days.

So if you bought it, it must have been worth the money, and it still is. Put on the blinders, quit the whining, and get to work.
You're not making any sense. Yes, I know it's still worth money, and I plan on selling it for what I think it's worth. I also think the new one is worth the money too. Read my previous post regarding the refurbished Powerbook, perhaps that'll help you understand what the conversation is about.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2007, 09:23 PM

Intel based computers change at a faster pace than we were used to under Moto....

The Pismo held it's value longer than any other laptop that I can remember

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2007, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by romeosc View Post
Intel based computers change at a faster pace than we were used to under Moto....

The Pismo held it's value longer than any other laptop that I can remember
Just give the 12in Powerbooks some time to catch up. They're still selling strong online! Mmmmmm 12in Love.

Forum Links
Forum Rules