Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Firefox 3.0 replacing Omniweb?

Firefox 3.0 replacing Omniweb?
larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 25, 2007, 01:52 AM

So I have been an Omniweb user for a couple of years, and have been impressed with its speed, and overall feature set. Since Safari 3 and Firefox 3.0 have come out, it seems to me that Omniweb is getting slower relative to the others(they have been catching up so to speak). Omniweb has been acting weird with Nationstates, my webstats via Wordpress, and Facebook. Firefox 3.0 works fine with these sites. Anyone else experiencing similar web 2.0 problems with Omniweb, and/or impressed with the Firefox 3.0 beta 2?

For those celebrating a holiday, have a happy holidays, and great new year!
My Blog-pakos.me

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2007, 05:24 AM

Grab the latest OmniWeb sneaky peek if you haven't yet (Check the omnigroup forums)

larrinski  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 25, 2007, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob View Post
Grab the latest OmniWeb sneaky peek if you haven't yet (Check the omnigroup forums)
I was downloading the sneaky peaks for a while there, but they seemed to be updated daily, and there was a problem with them not properly installing(the installer was broken). And, they were not too stable. If that has changed, then maybe I will give them another try...Will the new sneaky peaks add any new features above 5.6?
My Blog-pakos.me

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2007, 03:23 PM

I was impressed with Firefox 3.0 beta 1, but beta 2 is actually worse. It seems to lock up/freeze much more. Hopefully, after the betas it'll be fine. I quit using Safari and Firefox because of the problems with Wordpress too.

Cold Warrior
Dec 25, 2007, 04:11 PM

Yeah, I've been disappointed with FF 3 beta 2. Completely messed up rendering a couple sites that beta 1 had no difficulty with. Also has gotten itself bogged down easily.

FF 3.0 beta 2 needs some serious work.

UpQuark
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2007, 10:41 PM

OmniWeb is a great browser, for me as well. But it crashes occasionally while using 'Web2.0-ified' browser based mail clients.

Safari 3 is nice.. to me not as fast or as flexible as OW. I love being able to block ads etc with OmniWeb. Firefox can do all of that as well, but is slow for me to start...

I hope the RC of Firefox 3 is more stable.

But, to answer your questions directly, I do hope OmniGroup does update their browser...

Disclaimer - notice several time I mentioned ' to me '. It is my opinion and not fact.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Dec 28, 2007, 02:36 AM

For those of you who have problems with the Firefox beta make sure to report those problems on Firefox's build forum. I've reported a few problems myself and they were fixed pretty quickly on the nightly build. Of course if you are not using the nightly builds then you'll have to wait for the next beta to see if your problem is fixed.

Archbishop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 28, 2007, 03:59 AM

I'll use Firefox when 3.0 goes final

Originally Posted by UpQuark View Post
Safari 3 is nice.. to me not as fast or as flexible as OW. I love being able to block ads etc with OmniWeb. Firefox can do all of that as well, but is slow for me to start...
Search Adblock for Safari on Google
( Last edited by Archbishop; Dec 28, 2007 at 04:09 AM. )

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2007, 04:20 AM

I like Omniweb. For development purposes, I still prefer Firefox. For leisure surfing, Safari and Opera get my vote. Opera being the fastest browser of them all from my experience.

~bash $
Forum Regular
Dec 28, 2007, 10:50 AM

In my limited used of FF3.0b2, I found it to be fine. Camino's still tops for me, however. I thought Opera was okay on Windows, but I don't think I have any reason to try it on the Mac, since Camino + Firefox (both Gecko browsers) + Safari (WebKit) takes care of all my rendering needs. Thankfully people are developing pages with Gecko in mind (thanks to FF) more and more, and that's a good thing for Camino users. What's the rendering engine behind Opera and OmniWeb?

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2007, 12:47 PM

Opera uses its own layout engine called Presto. It will be replaced by a new layout engine that runs by the name of Kestrel. Opera with its new layout engine will be available with Opera 9.5 if I recall correctly. The Beta has been available for a while I believe.

Omniweb uses Webkit as its layout engine.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2007, 03:44 AM

Just trying out Firefox 3 beta 2. Really fast. The "Mac theme" is just a Safari clone, but at least it uses native widgets and has a spell checker.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 29, 2007, 08:58 AM

Does the Firefox beta impact FF 2.X as installed? I'd like to give it a try.

One of the big things that draws me to Firefox is the extensibility. I use Forecastfox and Flashblock, and enjoy the heck out of them; I haven't seen that sort of extensibility in other browsers. The only thing I know about OmniWeb that sounds like something I'd like to have in Firefox is the session auto-save; that would make some of my research a lot easier.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Cold Warrior
Dec 29, 2007, 11:56 AM

gh - I know that FF3b1 wouldn't work correctly for me until I'd deleted all vestiges of FF2. I don't know if FF3b2 cooperates with v2 any better, as I haven't gone back to FF2 since installed the v3 betas. YMMV.
( Last edited by Cold Warrior; Dec 29, 2007 at 01:19 PM. Reason: clarified some verbage.)

zro
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2007, 12:14 PM

I would love it if the bookmark syncing in OmniWeb actually worked. That would be a killer feature right there.

JKT
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2007, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
The only thing I know about OmniWeb that sounds like something I'd like to have in Firefox is the session auto-save; that would make some of my research a lot easier.
In many regards it doesn't work as well as OmniWeb's (and in some it is better) but get the Tab Mix Plus extension for Firefox - it will allow you to create something akin to OmniWeb's Workspaces and allow you to auto-save browser sessions.

larrinski  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2007, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob View Post
Thanks for pointing me back to the sneaky peeks. I did install the Omniweb 5.7 nightly build, and it seems to be an improvement on the sites that 5.6 was having a problem with.

Omniweb seems to work very well with Quicksilver as well. Adding keywords to the site bookmark brings it up in quicksilver without having to add an abbreviation. I haven't tried it in Firefox 3.0, but it saves time navigating to my most frequent sites. The web search shortcuts are one of my favourite omniweb features that don't get too much attention. When you click inside a search box on a site, you can save it as a bookmark with a keyword. It then comes up in quicksilver.
My Blog-pakos.me

EndlessMac
Senior User
Dec 29, 2007, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Does the Firefox beta impact FF 2.X as installed? I'd like to give it a try.
It is recommended that you create a new profile for FF 3 so that it doesn't mess up your FF 2.X profile or at least save your FF 2 profile manually. Although I'm using Firefox's nightly builds without creating a new profile and haven't had really any problems. The only thing I've noticed so far is that when I go back and forth it doesn't save my preference settings so it would be more convenient to just to create a new profile. I've just been too lazy to do so but I think it's about time. You also need to rename FF 2 to something else if you are going to put FF 3 in the same folder or it will install over FF 2.

Macanoid
Senior User
Dec 29, 2007, 09:27 PM

I'm a really big fan of OW and even though the 5.7 nightlies run great, I hardly ever use it anymore and have switched to Camino full time. I find that OW and other webkit browser use way too much ram. Both OW and Safari can easily gobble up 200MB, while Camino hardly ever uses more than 70 - 80 mb. I really hope they can fix this, because 200mb is a ridiculous amount of ram for just a browser.

Forum Links
Forum Rules