Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Scientists develop computer that can 'translate' a dog's bark

Scientists develop computer that can 'translate' a dog's bark
Buckaroo
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2008, 02:05 AM

Scientists have developed a computer that can translate a dog's bark.

I know there are a lot of dog lovers and I'm sure someone might be interested in this article.

They have been able to identify several barks with different situations, including, Stranger, fight, walk, alone, ball and play.

Scientists develop computer that can 'translate' a dog's bark | the Daily Mail

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2008, 10:20 AM

Interesting. The problem is that a bark is only one piece of dog communication. When a dog barks, there are also other physical indications of what the bark means. For example, when my Aussies want to play, yes they bark, but they also play bow and spin around in circles. When they here a strange noise, yes they bark, but their ears also lay back and the hair on their back stands on end. That's probably why the computer wasn't too accurate in translating the barks - there are too many other factors that go into interpreting what any given bark means.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2008, 12:47 PM

Gary Larson beat you to this one -

Jan 17, 2008, 01:03 PM

My Belgian Malinois does not bark. Ever.

Being in public and around men gets her so upset that she shakes and quivers and then gets diarrhea from irritable bowel. It's sad. I think she was abused but don't know for sure. She came to stay with us at about the age of 8 months and I've been working hard with trying to socialize her and teach her that people aren't going to hurt her.

But she never barks, whines, or makes a noise. Two months into having her here at my home and she's finally starting to lay on the floor in my bedroom nearby instead of hiding under the bed.

She sure is beautiful, though.

Wonder what no barking at all means? Can the computer translate that?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 17, 2008, 01:14 PM

I'm not sure we need to understand dogs cursing out their masters

-t

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2008, 01:14 PM

Sounds like she's sulking.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2008, 08:54 AM

Interesting. The problem is that a bark is only one piece of dog communication. When a dog barks, there are also other physical indications of what the bark means. For example, when my Aussies want to play, yes they bark, but they also play bow and spin around in circles. When they here a strange noise, yes they bark, but their ears also lay back and the hair on their back stands on end. That's probably why the computer wasn't too accurate in translating the barks - there are too many other factors that go into interpreting what any given bark means.
Exactly, I understand what my dogs want to mean even when they had a wide range of different barks. My favourite is when overnight one of them is asleep and the other isn't and wanna play, then the one who now is half asleep bark like yelling 'dude, let me sleep, ok?', that's rather funny to say the least.

Anyway, I am surprised nobody had pointed us to this 'classic'…

Forum Links
Forum Rules