Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Best bang for my buck!

Best bang for my buck!
adamj575
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2008, 01:37 PM

I am in the process of creating an office in my basement. I need a computer down there and am not sure what route i need to go. Im trying to decide between an emac and an imac g3. price is definetly important im mainly shopping on ebay. i figured i can get the imac for around 100 shipped and the emac for aroud 160-180 shipped. im leaning towards the emac but is it really that much faster. i dont need to run any intense apps just the normal stuff. one concer of mine is that the g3 wont support itunes video playback. oh yeah and ill be running tiger so no need for leopard on this machine. ive never used any ppc macs as all i have is a macbook and a brand new imac 20". thanks in advance for all your comments.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2008, 01:45 PM

Why the interest in such old Macs?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

adamj575  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2008, 01:51 PM

Price Price Price

I thought about a mini but i dont have any old monitors to hook it up to. And for $100-$200 these are still pretty good machines

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2008, 01:54 PM

Don't bother with a G3 Mac of any sort. Painfully slow and as you said, it won't play iTunes (H.264) video.

Even just for surfing, I wouldn't go any lower than a G4 800. Actually, I'd stick with a G4 1 GHz or higher. BTW, even a G4 1 GHz can't properly play back 2.5 Mbps H.264 movies that I have encoded for my iPhone (and yes they play perfectly on the iPhone).

PowerPC H.264 playback benchmarks

It's pretty impressive that my lowly iPhone beats a fair chunk of those computers there.

lenox
Senior User
Aug 18, 2008, 01:58 PM

Good luck getting itunes video playback on either of those machines...my old dual 867mhz G4 struggles with a lot of videos.
c2d 2.66ghz iMac
500gb/2gb/motu ultralite

adamj575  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2008, 02:04 PM

Yeah Im leaning towards a G4 1ghz 17" emac I think i can get one for around 160 or so. I played around with a powerbook G4 15" 1.5ghz and tiger felt almost as fast as my macgook so im thinking the emac will still be pretty fast even by todays standards.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2008, 02:10 PM

A G4 1 GHz 17" eMac is slow by today's standards. Just go to a flash heavy site, or play some H.264 video. However, it's still quite OK for general surfing.

The MacBook is way, way faster when it counts.

For the record, this is my current hardware:

G4 450 Cube
G4 1.7 GHz Cube
G4 800 iBook
G4 1.07 GHz iBook
MacBook CD 2.0
iMac C2D 2.33
iPhone

The iPhone plays H.264 better than all of my G4 Macs. I no longer own any G3 Macs, because they made me want to rip my hair out.

bpl323
Forum Regular
Aug 20, 2008, 05:03 PM

Go with the eMac between those options.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2008, 01:58 AM

Something else to consider might be a G4 tower. You can find them pretty cheap off craigslist and online. Also, you can find decent CRTs for about $20 - $50. And that way, if you decide to upgrade to an LCD later, you can just pay that difference.

Where are you located? If you're by chance, in Los Angeles, hehe, I've got a PowerMac G4 that I could make you a good deal on.

Forum Links
Forum Rules