Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Half Life 2 Cider

Half Life 2 Cider
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2008, 01:28 AM

So I heard that Half Life 2 running on Cider is now circulating around the net, and supposedly a lone hacker got it up and running. So the question is, if a hacker outside of Valve can do this, why aren't all PC games now Intel Mac compatible?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

moep
Senior User
Sep 7, 2008, 01:49 AM

Probably because of licensing/pricing issues. Most publishers seem to outsource their mac ports and there sure is a lot of money to be made with them.

Still, this is quite interesting — thanks for the heads-up. I hope TF2 is soon to follow, with steam support of course.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2008, 01:59 AM

My brother said that's coming. Is it a good game?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

moep
Senior User
Sep 7, 2008, 08:51 AM

It’s the most entertaining and casual FPS I’ve ever played. You don’t have to play the game for hours to get some fun out of it. TF for Half-Life was my favorite game mode and the new version takes it to a whole new level.

What worries me though is that TF2 definitely requires Steam to be ported.
That includes convincing Valves (more or less) sophisticated anti-cheat process that the underlying OS is really Windows and “trustable”. I imagine that isn’t exactly an easy thing to do, then again maybe it’s no problem at all.
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2008, 12:35 PM

"Some hacker got it running" (barely/how often does it crash/yada yada) and full vendor support are very different things.

TF2 is awesome, I play too much:

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2008, 01:51 PM

I refused to play it for a long time, but TF2 actually is really fun. Portal is great too. Half-Life 2 is actually my least favorite thing in The Orange Box.

And yeah, I don't expect to see TF2 ported to the Mac without Valve's help. Then again, maybe this will encourage them to get on with it.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Nerdism
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2008, 03:45 PM

Half-Life 2 and Team Fortress 2 are quite playable in OS X under CrossOver Games (Link). In fact, I play Team Fortress 2 in OS X all the time. Of course, it's running without DirectX 9 effects, so it's not as pretty. But still very playable with great frame rates.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2008, 04:10 PM

You won't see anything from Valve ported to the Mac so long as Gabe Newell is CEO. He's probably 2nd only to Paul Thurrott as far as Windows Fanbois are concerned.

Gabe Newell hates Macs, probably to an unhealthy level; well, at least enough to give up millions of dollars in sales.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

redJag
Senior User
Sep 15, 2008, 11:52 AM

I've played the Cidered version of Portal. On my Macbook Pro, it's fairly good. Occasionally, the energy balls that bounce around will stop getting rendered (very dangerous!) and the elevator between levels is almost always missing most or all the pieces. Other than that, very playable. It is much MORE glitchy on the Mac Pro, with the energy balls never being rendered and half the time the energy ball launchers aren't, either.

Anyway, it seems with a little devoted attention they could make it completely playable.
Travis Sanderson

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2008, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Nerdism View Post
Half-Life 2 and Team Fortress 2 are quite playable in OS X under CrossOver Games (Link). In fact, I play Team Fortress 2 in OS X all the time. Of course, it's running without DirectX 9 effects, so it's not as pretty. But still very playable with great frame rates.

what machine do you run it on?
we don't have time to stop for gas

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 16, 2008, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
You won't see anything from Valve ported to the Mac so long as Gabe Newell is CEO. He's probably 2nd only to Paul Thurrott as far as Windows Fanbois are concerned.

Gabe Newell hates Macs, probably to an unhealthy level; well, at least enough to give up millions of dollars in sales.
sure about that?
http://kotaku.com/gaming/player-hate...mac-304730.php
we don't have time to stop for gas

lenox
Senior User
Sep 16, 2008, 10:55 AM

Wasn't Valve founded by ex-Microsoft employees?

Gabe's arguments about Apple...I wonder if Blizzard shares those sentiments?
c2d 2.66ghz iMac
500gb/2gb/motu ultralite

Nerdism
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2008, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
what machine do you run it on?
I usually run it on my Mac Pro w/ GeForce 8800GT GPU, but I've also run it on my two and a half year old Core Duo 2GHz Mac Pro with much success. It's not perfect, but it's really making headway. With the 10.5.5 update, Apple fixed some Graphics issues in OS X, and now Direct X 9 effects are working (just needs a bit of work to get it playable):

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 17, 2008, 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
That article serves only to confirm it, not deny it.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 17, 2008, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by lenox View Post
Gabe's arguments about Apple...I wonder if Blizzard shares those sentiments?
I would assume not - Blizzard isn't a mentally retarded company.

His claims may have had some validity prior to the Intel defection, but I don't think it's very defensible at this point. Nonetheless, Apple should try to placate that blob for the sake of the platform.

Forum Links
Forum Rules