Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Tried everything... still unable to remotely connect to my imac

Tried everything... still unable to remotely connect to my imac
will99
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2010, 08:36 AM

Hi,

i'm new here... i have a MACBOOK PRO at work and IMAC at home... i used REALVNC, Chicken.... and nothing seem to work. RealVNC worked once and then it stopped (giving me always the timeout message), the chicken worked also a couple of times and now it stopped.. everything is behind routers.

What did i do wrong? I followed the steps with both programs but nothing seem to work... all access from my routers seem to be there (unless there is something i dont know).... My Router is a LINKSYS.

Can somebody help me step by step?

thanks

William!

ChrisF
Senior User
Aug 17, 2010, 02:21 PM

Tell us exactly how you've tried to connect. That will make the help much more productive.

will99  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2010, 03:41 PM

Simple... i installed the RealVNC on the IMAC and gave permission to RealVNC to accept connections. It worked a couple of times and then it stopped.

With chicken the same thing, i went to system preference of the iMac, check the REMOTE MANAGEMENT and select ALL USERS...I check the option VNC viewers may control screen.... in computer settings and that's it!

Did i missed something?

thanks

William!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2010, 03:51 PM

Yes. Yes, you missed something.

This works at home, in your home network.

From outside home, you're missing two critical steps:

#1: Where the hell is the machine you're trying to connect to? On a local network, it's easily visible. On the internet, you're gonna have to tell VNC which of the 800 million+ machines it will want to connect to. Use a service like DynDNS.org (free) or MobileMe's "Back to my Mac" to make your machine findable.

#2: Once your VNC request arrives at your internet connection, the first thing it sees is the Linksys router, which has NO idea what the hell to do with it. You see, a router connected to the internet sees thousands of odd requests for all sorts of things - useful, necessary, naughty, or illicit - all day, and by default just ignores them. You actually have to tell it which machine to pass VNC requests on to - these are on port 5900 by default, so that's the port you have to forward to the iMac. (Please don't call it an iMAC; that makes little baby Jesus cry.)

ibook_steve
Aug 23, 2010, 04:35 PM

Even easier solution is to use a service like Logmein or even iChat on machines with a recent OS version (Leopard or Snow Leopard).

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 23, 2010, 05:05 PM

LogMeIn FTW.

Really, stop fiddling with VNC. You'll always have trouble.

If you need full fledged access to all OS X services, I recommend using Slinkware (Slinkware)

It's like a plug-&-play VPN, for all intents and purposes.
See here: http://forums.macnn.com/92/networkin...play-vpn-macs/

-t

slinkware
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2010, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
LogMeIn FTW.

Really, stop fiddling with VNC. You'll always have trouble.

If you need full fledged access to all OS X services, I recommend using Slinkware (Slinkware)

It's like a plug-&-play VPN, for all intents and purposes.
See here: http://forums.macnn.com/92/networkin...play-vpn-macs/

-t
Many thanks for the recommendation turtle777.

If you have any questions on how to get Slink configured, just e-mail me at [email protected] and I will guide you through it.

--Olof, Slink Developer

Forum Links
Forum Rules