Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Minor Irritant Thread

The Minor Irritant Thread (Page 13)
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 23, 2021, 08:57 AM

I know 3M makes a bunch of automotive-grade double-sided adhesive designed to keep things stuck to the outside of a car in all sorts of ridiculous conditions, including glass. Did you try something like that?

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/p/c/tape...xterior-glass/

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2021, 08:45 PM

Thats a good shout if I can find it affordably in the UK. Thanks!
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2021, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
If I were you, I'd consider putting a piece of tape over the top edge, just in case. Those screens are expensive.
I took it to my local Apple place. That's AU$430 including the techie.

Couldn't be arsed working on the new iMacs myself. Gimme a beige slide-on case any day.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2021, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I've done a bunch of upgrades on these thin iMacs because they shipped with atrociously slow disks and I have had zero luck with the adhesive used to glue the screen back in place. By which I mean I've had 3 of them where a a few months use and some hot weather resulted in the screens falling out and the glass being damaged. I tried various kinds of double-sided tape and some stuff cut to the same shapes Apple uses and sold as the OEM stuff and none of it was as good. If I were you, I'd consider putting a piece of tape over the top edge, just in case. Those screens are expensive.
Odd. I have fitted SSD's into literally hundreds of these over the years. Out of the 100's I have fitted the number of glass falling out issues is zero. I assume my customers would not shy away from telling me if it happened. Indeed, any iMacs that have returned for either other repairs or bigger drives, the adhesive has been way tougher than Apple's OEM tapes to remove. You must have been wildly unlucky with you sourcing. I have used many different suppliers from Amazon and ebay with no issues.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 26, 2021, 10:06 AM

I only have my 2007 iMac as reference, but the magnets that hold the glass in are not wimpy. There’s no way I could see this machine’s glass falling out.

I can’t say anything about later models that use adhesive, but while taking that 2007 machine apart was tedious, it was also fairly logical - in a “how can we fit all this stuff inside this case” sort of way. Plus the iFixit instructions were both spot-on and easy to follow.

It was not a fun experience to upgrade my iMac, but a new CPU (the fastest I could find at the time), and an SSD made the effort very much worth it. And I got to get over ten years of dust and pet hair out of the machine too, so even without symptoms of fan issues, the machine runs cooler and somehow even quieter…

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 26, 2021, 04:15 PM

Autocorrect replacing correctly-spelled words. Seems to happen all too often that it's trying to replace a word I spelled correctly for something else entirely.

Example: "Would gum help?"

Once I finished typing "gum" autocorrect switched it to "fun." I get if I had typed "fum" or something else like that, but I had correctly spelled a grammatically correct word. Why are you changing stuff on me?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2021, 04:30 PM

Each generation of autocorrect will do some new things which really impress me, but will also duck up a bunch of other shot which was working fine before.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2021, 05:12 PM

If it randomly chose "well" or "we'll" it'd be doing better than it does now, where it seems to always correct to the wrong one. Same with adding apostrophes when I'm trying to pluralize something. Like "Hondas" - it added an apostrophe when I was just trying to talk about more than one Honda. So I hit backspace and it offered "Hondas" in the bubble above the word. So I tapped the bubble and hit space, at which point it re-autocorrected it to "Honda's." So I backspaced, tapped the bubble again, and hit space, and it re-autocorrected to "Honda's" yet AGAIN. So then I backspaced, tapped the bubble, then tapped "Hondas" in the suggestion bar (where it offered "Hondas," "Honda's," or "Fonda's"), at which point it finally stayed "Hondas" without changing.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2021, 05:30 PM

Sorta related to that, in earlier generations if autocorrect made a mistake you could backspace, correct it, and move on.

Now sometimes it will autocorrect your correction.

Three times in a row.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2021, 05:48 PM

When I type "uber", it will autocorrect to "Uber", rather than "über", even when set to German. I have literally never intentionally typed "*ber", the driving service — except just now. But it keeps fucking that up. The goddamn service doesn’t even exist in Germany.

Thorzdad
Aug 26, 2021, 05:51 PM

This why I only let auto-correct suggest edits.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2021, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
This why I only let auto-correct suggest edits.
That would drop my typing speed in half.

For example, in that last sentence I only got three words correct on my own (my/in/half). That’s one of the more impressive things about it. 80-90% of the time getting my fingers to the approximate area on the keyboard works. It’s good enough I’m effectively touch-typing. This generation has actually gotten worse in that there are times where it figures out the right word, but won’t autoselect it. I also just had the “change two words” problem. I typed “figures oht”, and it corrected “oht”, but then also changed “figures” to “figured”.

Edit: another recent minor irritant is if I double tap on a word in an unselected text box, it thinks I’m trying to make it into two words.
( Last edited by subego; Aug 27, 2021 at 12:29 AM. )

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2021, 01:15 PM

IMO autocorrect should only change typos. And it should only suggest grammatical changes (e.g. we’ll vs well).

OAW

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2021, 04:03 PM

"We can stop by for a quick jello" was correctly changed to "We can stop by for a quick hello". So score 1 to autocorrect for that one.

Thorzdad
Aug 27, 2021, 07:58 PM

Those damned Liberty Mutual ads. “Doug” is creepy AF. Like “Arby’s night manager who keeps hitting on the high school girls working there” creepy.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2021, 10:21 PM

Flo > Doug

Thorzdad
Aug 27, 2021, 10:33 PM

Lily > Flo

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2021, 11:49 PM

Lily
She’ll always be resting bitch face to me.

Here’s an example of autocorrect fucking up what was working perfectly before. It used to always catch “thr” is supposed to be “the”. Now sometimes it won’t.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 28, 2021, 03:32 PM

Sadly, you may have trained Auto to believe “thr” was what you wanted.

And Auto - appropriately - corrected my entry in the above sentence. (IPad, in this case.)

Flo goes beyond either Doug or Lili, mainly because she has a posse. Lots of other characters who fit in the Flo-verse. Flo is my fav and I don’t see an ad campaign (without an all-CGI character) for an insurance company outdoing Flo.

Doug and company are entirely creepy. Let’s start with the fact that the bird seems to move quite naturally - for an emu - which is great since it’s apparently a mix of live and CGI. But emus move creepily.

And Doug looks like he didn’t quite make the casting cut for Anchorman, but he’s staying in character, and in costume/hair/makeup, “just in case they change their minds.” Of course the costume/hair timeframe goes with the car, but the car ain’t gonna save that campaign. But boy is that guy in character….

Lili fits an entirely different model, and is thus in a class by herself. Her character is special. She’s played by Milan’s Vayntrub, an Uzbek by birth who came to the States with her parents due to Soviet antisemitism. I think she brings some attitude from her family life, as well as some good acting chops.

Anyway, Auto “fixed” “antisemitism” to “anti Semitic” for me, but acquiesced when I backed up and retyped it.

Thorzdad
Aug 28, 2021, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Doug and company are entirely creepy. Let’s start with the fact that the bird seems to move quite naturally - for an emu - which is great since it’s apparently a mix of live and CGI. But emus move creepily.
For me, it’s that damned toothpick eternally dangling from his mouth. That sends all kinds of creepazoid messages. I’m simply gobsmacked that that campaign made it past the first airing of the first commercial without someone from the home office nuking the whole thing from orbit.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 28, 2021, 10:58 PM

Sadly, you may have trained Auto to believe “thr” was what you wanted.
It’s possible, but I usually need to put in some effort for that to happen.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 29, 2021, 12:53 PM

Maybe Apple has made things like this easier on us? I don’t have a clue what the “learning” algorithm might be, but in my experience if I consistently misspell something the same way, Auto sort of stops making changes or suggestions. Like I hurt his feelings or something.

PCMagazine suggests turning off Autocorrect, but leaving Check Spelling enabled. No more changes or suggestions, but those red underlines might be useful in identifying misspellings. With simple spellcheck (Word, Pages, etc.) I’ve managed to “teach” those apps words that weren’t in their dictionaries.

That doesn’t help with speeding up text entry, as in Messages - I use that a lot - but it won’t make your messages include words you didn’t Nintendo.

And adding words to the local dictionary won’t help with context issues; I can type a correctly spelled “wrong” word, but the app’s context scanner probably won’t figure that out. If it were only proper names, that would be OK, but a lot of professional terminology (medical, IT, physics, engineering) isn’t in the default dictionaries. While some apps offer expanded dictionaries or discipline-specific dictionaries, they often aren’t free (as they should be).

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 29, 2021, 03:41 PM

I’m almost positive it’s a flaw in this generation of autocorrect. It also started screwing up contractions. Never did any of this before.

It’s also inconsistent. If it was regularly doing it, that I trained it would make sense.

Another to add to the pile: it stopped consistently capitalizing “i”.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2021, 10:30 AM

Well its constant changing of "well" to "we'll" has made me cognizant of how often I start sentences with "well."

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 31, 2021, 07:10 PM

Bodysuit got me a YouTube takedown for nudity.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2021, 07:07 AM

It’s taken me until I’m almost 50 to discover green olives brined in something sweet (like a sweet pickle) and I know of no place other than a single restaurant to get them.

I like savory green olives, but usually tap-out around a half dozen. I could easily put down a pound of these sweet ones.

As an aside, for sweet pickles I highly recommend “Bubbie’s” brand bread and butter chips. I think you can get them at Whole Foods.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2021, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Bodysuit got me a YouTube takedown for nudity.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 1, 2021, 12:26 PM

Reported.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2021, 05:26 PM

The place I’ve been taking my van to for yearly inspections since I bought it in 2015 says they don’t have any lifts which can handle it.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 3, 2021, 05:48 PM

I suppose it's possible they'd never compared vehicle weight to rated lift capacity. Or someone thinks your van put on a lot of weight.

Or maybe you just got unlucky, and spoke to the new guy.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2021, 06:24 PM

Google says my van is lighter than a Grand Cherokee. The only thing I can think of is someone in the chain thinks it’s a regular Promaster, and not the tiny one.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 4, 2021, 01:13 AM

Do they realize they've serviced it before? Or has the staff all turned over.

Even if you don't have a picture showing it being serviced, you may have receipts. And your van will appear in their records.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2021, 01:33 AM

Yeah… I mentioned the part where I’ve been going there for years. I also asked what could have changed and got an “I don’t know”.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 7, 2021, 11:33 PM

Something in Safari is randomly turning my phone into a hot plate.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Sep 9, 2021, 10:26 AM

Yeah reddit will occasionally do that to mine. some JS thing i bet.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Sep 10, 2021, 09:25 AM

iPhone side button. I click it to turn the screen off. Then I rotate my phone a few degrees and it thinks, "OH! You want the screen to light up! Let me fire this bad boy up!" No, I just shut you off. Don't turn on. Click the button again to turn it off. Walk a couple of feet. "OH! You're trying to look at your phone! Let me fire the screen up again!" NO! Stay off!

Also half the time I try to shut the screen off after taking a photo, the phone decides, "You didn't mean to do that, I'm going to stay on" and it requires me to click it a second time to get the screen to turn off.

andi*pandi
Sep 10, 2021, 11:24 AM

Well you know you wanted 10 pictures of the inside of your pocket.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 10, 2021, 02:01 PM

The side button is exactly where I need to grab the phone sometimes. And it is more sensitive to accidental presses in direct relation to how important what I’m trying to is at the moment.

How long have we had the side button? I’m still not used to it.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 10, 2021, 10:36 PM

I wanna say 6 is when they moved it.

I remember having that problem in the beginning, but finally trained myself not to do it.

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Also half the time I try to shut the screen off after taking a photo, the phone decides, "You didn't mean to do that, I'm going to stay on" and it requires me to click it a second time to get the screen to turn off.
I haven’t run into this problem, but I constantly shut the screen off when I’m trying to take a screenshot.

reader50
Administrator
Sep 10, 2021, 11:08 PM

Had something similar happen with a different touchscreen device: my trusty old Garmin GPS in the car.

The suction cup came loose, so I set it (face-down) on the passenger seat. Then didn't get around to fixing it. ie - the Garmin stayed running face-down on numerous local trips before I got back to it.

Next time I checked Recent Places, it turns out I've navigated to 50+ random local destinations. Including empty fields, and possibly inside buildings. Since the random destination never got confirmed (no one hit the GO button), it must log recently found places without the confirmation. 90% of the time, I can select from Recents. After the incident, I had to actually enter destinations for awhile.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 11, 2021, 02:50 PM

Reader, is that better or worse than having Siri say “I didn’t understand that” when you didn’t really intend to wake Siri up in the first place?

I have a “shell” protector on my Apple Watch. It covers the sides, with cut outs for buttons and such. When I put it back on after cleaning, sometimes it activated the crown, and my apps list comes up. But sometimes it invokes Siri. I do not use Siri on my watch, but she really tries to be helpful anyway…

andi*pandi
Sep 12, 2021, 11:14 AM

my iphone 8 has a side button, and I use it to sleep the phone. You can set it to do other things I think...

from another post here I discovered I could set the back of the phone to do a task when tapped... then I forgot about it... until I'm just nervously tapping and all of a sudden the phone starts reading the screen.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 14, 2021, 05:03 PM

Had a pipe burst in the apartment above me awhile back. This was actually a major irritant, because the flow rate was a gallon a minute.

The minor irritant is maintenance has now shown up unannounced to fix my ceiling twice, waking me up both times.

I appreciate their eagerness to fix it, but it’s going to involve scaffolding, multiple days of work, and multiple days of paint fumes. I’m probably going to have to stay in a hotel.

You can’t just walk in and make that happen.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 15, 2021, 08:54 AM

McDonalds restaurants are franchises. Sure, everybody knows that, right?

There’s one near the main gate for Sea World, and it happens to be closer and more convenient to my house than any of the other McDonalds in the area. But they charge more than the next closer restaurant. By quite a bit.

McDonalds restaurant design and equipment? Standardized nationwide. Prices? Whatever the franchisee wants to charge. Stupid, confusing and irritating.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2021, 11:19 AM

McDonalds restaurant design and equipment? Standardized nationwide. Prices? Whatever the franchisee wants to charge. Stupid, confusing and irritating.
Isn’t that pretty much the entire point of a franchise: the franchisee owns the place and charges whatever he needs to maintain his business over the cost of licensing?

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 15, 2021, 04:18 PM

Reasonableness is an issue here. An Egg McMuffin shouldn’t cost $2 more at one restaurant than at another a couple miles away. There are two barbecue places across the highway from this particular McD, and their prices are the same as their places everywhere else. Except they aren’t franchises…

It’s like this particular McD thinks it’s at the airport, or a concert venue - except they don’t have to pay the fees that go with concessions at an airport or concert venue…

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2021, 05:04 PM

It’s a tax on people who go to McDonald’s when there’s Texas BBQ to be had.

Speaking of Texas, beans are a minor irritant in my chili.

Thorzdad
Sep 15, 2021, 05:35 PM

Beans. No beans. Doesn’t matter. It’s all chili and it’s all good.
(Within reason, of course. My mom’s chili sucked, but it set a baseline above which to aim. Which wasn’t hard to do, sadly.)

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2021, 07:48 PM

It’s all chili and it’s all good.
Which is precisely why it shouldn’t have beans. This maximizes the chili per square foot.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Sep 15, 2021, 08:02 PM

Reasonableness is an issue here. An Egg McMuffin shouldn’t cost $2 more at one restaurant than at another a couple miles away. There are two barbecue places across the highway from this particular McD, and their prices are the same as their places everywhere else. Except they aren’t franchises…

It’s like this particular McD thinks it’s at the airport, or a concert venue - except they don’t have to pay the fees that go with concessions at an airport or concert venue…
Maybe. Maybe it's much higher rent. Maybe the franchisee is an idiot and will be going out of business soon.

I mean sheesh: just don't go there, right?

McDonald's qualifies as "minor irritant" even in the least terrible of cases, so assuming that it's shit, paying a dollar more is pretty far down on my list of problems.

Yes, I do eat there when I'm on the road occasionally.

Forum Links
Forum Rules