Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Swedes are lazy

Swedes are lazy
Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2004, 08:09 PM

http://www.forbes.com/business/healt...ap1549174.html

In a country already plagued by skyrocketing sick leave costs, a new survey found that 40 percent of the population thinks it's acceptable to skip work because they feel tired or have trouble getting along with their colleagues

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 08:14 PM

Guess it explains one of the reasons why they have such a high standard of living.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UN_Human_Development_Index
( Last edited by waxcrash; Sep 18, 2004 at 08:23 PM. )

ambush
Banned
Sep 18, 2004, 08:25 PM

Sweden rocks.

Captain Obvious  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2004, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by waxcrash:
Guess it explains one of the reasons why they have such a high standard of living.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UN_Human_Development_Index
Based on leisure timethey take and government services maybe. But at what cost?

The Swedish Research Institute of Trade (HUI) said it had compared official U.S. and Swedish statistics on household income, as well as gross domestic product, private consumption and retail spending per capita between 1980 and 1999.

Using fixed prices and purchasing power parity adjusted data, the median household income in Sweden at the end of the 1990s was the equivalent of $26,800, compared with a median of $39,400 for U.S. households, HUI's study showed.

"Weak growth means that Sweden has lost greatly in prosperity compared with the United States," HUI's president, Fredrik Bergstrom, and chief economist, Robert Gidehag, said.

International Monetary Fund data from 2001 show that U.S. GDP per capita in dollar terms was 56 percent higher than in Sweden, while in 1980, Swedish GDP per capita was 20 percent higher.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2004, 08:40 PM

Yup, this is what happens when you build up a system that is too good. The standard of living is among the best in the world. The industry is still strong, with new things coming in slowly but not fast enough. But that is understandable when a nation focuses on quality of life instead of only $$$$.

And you'd need to understand how the "sick days" system works to truly understand the implications of it.

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

storer
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 08:48 PM

How absolutely stupid!

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 08:49 PM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
It's no secret that Europeans make less than Americans at the equivalent job. In my opinion, the benefits (healthcare, time off, etc.) makes up for the loss in salary. I get 2 weeks paid vacation, yet in Europe it isn't uncommon to get 4 weeks. European workers are also heavy protected by the government in regards to job security. Ask a European manager how hard it is to fire someone. I would take a pay cut to get more time off, better job security, and healthcare. Europeans pay more taxes compared to there US counterpart. Would you be willing to pay more taxes, make less, but have a guaranteed high standard of living? I would.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2004, 08:50 PM

btw, all this talk about low taxes in the US. What is the average tax percentage in the US?

"If Bush says we hate freedom, let him tell us why we didn't attack Sweden, for example. OBL 29th oct

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2004, 09:09 PM

More about the Lazy Swedes�

Captain Obvious  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2004, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by Logic:
More about the Lazy Swedes�
Inventors? All of whom died before 1980, most before mid century.
This is what I mean by inane. This has nothing to do with the discussion.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2004, 09:16 PM

Inventors? All of whom died before 1980, most before mid century.
This is what I mean by inane. This has nothing to do with the discussion.
When you claim Swedes are lazy it has something to do with the discussion. If you would make the correct claim that "young, uneducated Swedish women thinks that it is OK to take out sick days when there is a strike at school and when they are tired" I wouldn't object to it at all.

But I guess you didn't bother trying to find more info about the study.

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2004, 09:20 PM

i remember when i arrived in stockholm from oslo on a sunday afternoon eight years ago, the shops were all closed and the street was so empty. For a tourist like me, my first reaction was the swedish were so lazy and sweden was so boring.

Joshua
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 09:43 PM

Yup, this is what happens when you build up a system that is too good. The standard of living is among the best in the world. The industry is still strong, with new things coming in slowly but not fast enough. But that is understandable when a nation focuses on quality of life instead of only $$$$.

And you'd need to understand how the "sick days" system works to truly understand the implications of it.
At some point, though, nations have to realize that "quality of life" requires "$$$$."
Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2004, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by Joshua:
At some point, though, nations have to realize that "quality of life" requires "$$$$."
Or:

Nations have to realise that $$$$ are not required for quality of life.

What is better is a completely different discussion though.

Joshua
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 09:56 PM

Or:

Nations have to realise that $$$$ are not required for quality of life.

What is better is a completely different discussion though.
Uhh, how exactly are you funding the substantial social welfare program that provides you with that high quality of life? With happy thoughts?

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 10:13 PM

Is this one of those "working to live" vs. "living to work" type discussions?
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

ambush
Banned
Sep 18, 2004, 10:15 PM

more like a left vs right discussion.

I choose left.

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 10:24 PM

I don't believe in introducing relativistic coordinate systems into social or political discussions.
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 10:25 PM

It's no secret that Europeans make less than Americans at the equivalent job. In my opinion, the benefits (healthcare, time off, etc.) makes up for the loss in salary. I get 2 weeks paid vacation, yet in Europe it isn't uncommon to get 4 weeks. European workers are also heavy protected by the government in regards to job security. Ask a European manager how hard it is to fire someone. I would take a pay cut to get more time off, better job security, and healthcare. Europeans pay more taxes compared to there US counterpart. Would you be willing to pay more taxes, make less, but have a guaranteed high standard of living? I would.
I completely agree. Making more money isn't everything, when you have to pay high costs in other areas.

Swedes are nice people. I know many. And many hot ones.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2004, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by Joshua:
Uhh, how exactly are you funding the substantial social welfare program that provides you with that high quality of life? With happy thoughts?
What percentage of the Swedish budget is borrowed money ? ... ZERO .. 0% ... NONE. We're borrowing literally 20% of our budget in the US in 2004 (i.e. NOT funding it with money we actually have) -- and our social welfare system is significantly less "substantial".

Right now, Sweden is worried that their budget for 2004 might not be balanced (as it ALWAYS IS) due to declining tax revenues from Alchohol (as there is apparently a growing trend to buy cheaper alcohol from outside the country). Our CBO is currently predicting that, in best case scenario, we will have a balanced budget again in 2014 (with trillions in accrued debt in the 11 years of deficits between now and then).

Point is: They balance their budget. We aren't even close to balancing ours. Obviously, the relative per capita GDP isn't nearly as important as having a leadership that can perform basic math.

The Oracle
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Mt. Ararat, chillin' with Noah in the Ark's broken hull.
Sep 18, 2004, 10:43 PM

you guys have to remember that sweden is a tiny country. Comparing the social/welfare systems of Sweden and the United States is like a 2-stroke weed whacker versus a V-12 Jaguar--the 2-stroke is smaller, leaner, and highly tuned and efficient, while the V-12 is infinitely more complex and more highly prone to problems and malfunction. What works in tiny Sweden will not work in the US.

Isn't this a polwar topic now?

All-seeing and all-knowing since 2000 B.C.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2004, 10:47 PM

Could you please explain why something that works in a small country(9 million people) doesn't work in a large country? And give some details for why you don't think it works.

Thanks

Krusty
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2004, 10:48 PM

Originally posted by The Oracle:
you guys have to remember that sweden is a tiny country. Comparing the social/welfare systems of Sweden and the United States is like a 2-stroke weed whacker versus a V-12 Jaguar--the 2-stroke is smaller, leaner, and highly tuned and efficient, while the V-12 is infinitely more complex and more highly prone to problems and malfunction. What works in tiny Sweden will not work in the US.

Isn't this a polwar topic now?
Good points .... making it especially ridiculous to try to compare the way Sweden runs their rig to the US.

In an attempt to keep this out of the polwar lounge, I will add that I have it on good authority that the UN Standard of Living study cited above secretly weights "the pervasiveness of hot, nordic babes" very heavily in that study.

JohnnyAppleseed
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2004, 10:55 PM

ABBA ROCKS!!!

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by Krusty:
What percentage of the Swedish budget is borrowed money ? ... ZERO .. 0% ... NONE. We're borrowing literally 20% of our budget in the US in 2004 (i.e. NOT funding it with money we actually have) -- and our social welfare system is significantly less "substantial".

Right now, Sweden is worried that their budget for 2004 might not be balanced (as it ALWAYS IS) due to declining tax revenues from Alchohol (as there is apparently a growing trend to buy cheaper alcohol from outside the country). Our CBO is currently predicting that, in best case scenario, we will have a balanced budget again in 2014 (with trillions in accrued debt in the 11 years of deficits between now and then).

Point is: They balance their budget. We aren't even close to balancing ours. Obviously, the relative per capita GDP isn't nearly as important as having a leadership that can perform basic math.
The reason Sweden can balance it's budget is because it has no military. I know that technically they do, but there military spending is pennies.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2004, 11:09 PM

The reason Sweden can balance it's budget is because it has no military. I know that technically they do, but there military spending is pennies.
Heh, BS.

Military expenditures - dollar figure:

$4.395 billion (FY01)

Military expenditures - percent of GDP:

2.1% (FY01)

source: CIA Factbook

About 2% is average in the world IIRC.

Joshua
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 11:16 PM

It has more to do with the fact that their government's revenue (taxes) is about 75% of the GDP: $177.7 billion / $238.1 billion.

Compare that with the US government, which takes in just over 16% of the GDP: $1.782 trillion / $10.98 trillion.

Krusty
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2004, 11:23 PM

That's funny, I could SWEAR that, even with our huge military, we somehow managed to balance our budgets .. *ahem* ... a few years ago and for most of our history prior to the 70s. Our budget isn't out of balance due to our military ... we've had that expense, in roughly the same proportion thru balanced and unbalance budgets.
2000: 250bln budget surplus. ~19.35% of real outlays were for military.
2003: 375bln budget deficit. ~20.0% of outlays were for military.

That < 1% difference (about $20 billion in current budget dollars) DID NOT cause a $422 billion budget deficit.

JohnnyAppleseed
Forum Regular
Sep 18, 2004, 11:34 PM

more ABBA...

Joshua
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2004, 11:34 PM

Originally posted by Krusty:
That's funny, I could SWEAR that, even with our huge military, we somehow managed to balance our budgets .. *ahem* ... a few years ago and for most of our history prior to the 70s. Our budget isn't out of balance due to our military ... we've had that expense, in roughly the same proportion thru balanced and unbalance budgets.
2000: 250bln budget surplus. ~19.35% of real outlays were for military.
2003: 375bln budget deficit. ~20.0% of outlays were for military.

That < 1% difference (about $20 billion in current budget dollars) DID NOT cause a $422 billion budget deficit.
That's all nice, but this isn't a thread about the US budget deficit. If the US government was to quadruple its revenue (read: huge tax increase), it could have a balanced budget and a huge welfare system too.

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2004, 12:59 AM

I got a few friends from Sweden... they aren't lazy, just bossy.
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 19, 2004, 01:58 AM

[/i]
Don't take Wikipedia links seriously.

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 19, 2004, 02:02 AM

Originally posted by Webscreamer:
I got a few friends from Sweden... they aren't lazy, just bossy.
Watch it, or they will UNLEASH THE FOOKIN FUUURY!

Just ask Yngwie.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Sep 19, 2004, 08:00 AM

It`s 4-5 weeks paid vacation in Germany and full health care (even if you only work 5 hours a week).
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2004, 08:15 AM

Originally posted by ambush:
Swedish chicks rock.
Fixed�

P
Sep 19, 2004, 09:55 AM

Good thing I didn't see this while surfing at work, I would have felt so targeted...

There is a lot of this around, especially among people a decade or so older than me - people feeling that work has to be fun and fulfilling or they shouldn't have to work. The point, of course, is that someone else should make work like that, but I don't have to do anything to improve the situation. This thinking is slowly receding, but it's there still.

Sweden has a balanced budget now. We did not have a balanced budget during the entire eighties, no matter how great the economy was, which meant that when economy turned bad in the early nineties we suddenly had a huge deficit, a huge debt and all the money went to interest payments on the debt. That is all turned around now, and we are actually paying off that debt slowly, but I wonder how long this bout fiscal control will last. I'm afraid that it will all fall down at some point.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2004, 11:19 AM

Ooooohhh, another My-Country's-Dick-Is-Bigger-And-Better-Than-Yours thread. What fun. Ok, I'll bite.

Firstly I would like to say that we should all nuke Sweden. Those hot chicks are too much for Country-Dick-Comparitors to take.

Secondly, can someone tell me why fully 60% of the American adult population is fat?

Certainly a world leader there
( Last edited by theolein; Sep 19, 2004 at 11:26 AM. )
weird wabbit

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2004, 12:31 PM

Aren't Celtic Frost Swedes?

Zimphire
Baninated
Sep 19, 2004, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by theolein:
Secondly, can someone tell me why fully 60% of the American adult population is fat?
Depends were you are at. Some parts I am sure are more than 60%. Others are more in the 10% range.

Not a lot of "fat" people in this area.

American isn't the "fastest" nation anyhow. I believe Singapore wins that race.

The Windozer
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2004, 04:09 PM

Just thought I'd mention that Norway > Sweden. If Sweden was Mount Everest, Norway would be Olympus Mons. That's how good Norway is.

Why, yes I am Norwegian. Was it my accent that tipped you off?
Making sense is overrated.

Hippotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia -The fear of long words.

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2004, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by The Windozer:
Just thought I'd mention that Norway > Sweden. If Sweden was Mount Everest, Norway would be Olympus Mons. That's how good Norway is.

But you language man, your language. If you'd stop singing while talking we might perhaps accept you back to the union

The Windozer
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2004, 04:58 PM

I can understand fully that you admire our beautiful singing language, but if 96 years isn't enough for you to learn to speak like us, I don't think another union will do you much good
Making sense is overrated.

Hippotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia -The fear of long words.

tae667
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2004, 05:22 PM

But you language man, your language. If you'd stop singing while talking we might perhaps accept you back to the union
Swede mocking languages? What next, a Dane ranting how well their country did in WWII?

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2004, 05:36 PM

I can understand fully that you admire our beautiful singing language, but if 96 years isn't enough for you to learn to speak like us, I don't think another union will do you much good

Och v�lkommen till macnn

Logic
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2004, 05:42 PM

Originally posted by tae667:
Swede mocking languages? What next, a Dane ranting how well their country did in WWII?
OK, I've got to admit that there is nothing cuter than Finnish-Swedish. Even the most threatening Finnish-Swedish speaking male begins to remind of the Mumins as soon as he opens his mouth

simonjames
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2004, 05:50 PM

Its interesting how people can form a strong opinion from ignorance and one biased news article.

Swedes are fantastic people - relaxed, laid back, "no nonsense" types. Just like Danes only with funny accents.
this sig intentionally left blank

ambush
Banned
Sep 19, 2004, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Depends were you are at. Some parts I am sure are more than 60%. Others are more in the 10% range.

Not a lot of "fat" people in this area.

American isn't the "fastest" nation anyhow. I believe Singapore wins that race.
Yes, people in Singapore are known to be very fast

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2004, 08:29 PM

Yeah, you have a bit of an extra attack on your a's when you type.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2004, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by storer:
How absolutely stupid!

^ditto ....
I want in =P ... J/k

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 20, 2004, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by tae667:
What on earth are you on about??? We Danes came out as the absolute and irrefutable winners of WWII! Everybody knows that!

Oh, and do I hear a Swede/Icelander complaining that the Norwegians are singing whenever they open their mouths? Yeah, right. 'Cause Swedish and Icelandic isn't singing at all, nooo...

If you want people who don't sing when talking, look to us Danes.

Oh, and obviously, Denmark > Iceland > Norway > Sweden. There, got that settled.

Forum Links
Forum Rules