Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > I need advice on backing up software

I need advice on backing up software
miramac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2008, 01:07 PM

Hello, I was wondering how would I go about backing up my software. I just bought Final Cut Studio and so I just want to be sure that I have a backup copy just in case anything happened to the originals. I have a 250GB external HD that I was planning on using for the back up. From what I understand would I be doing the right thing by using Disk Utility to create a disk image of each one of the disks and saving it on the external HD? I noticed when I installed the first disk on my system it asked me to eject disk 1 and then insert disk 2 to proceed with the download. Will I still be able to do this if I was to use the HD? Is it as easy as double-clicking on the disk image of disk 2 when being prompted to insert the actual disk? I hope my question is clear and thanks in advance for any advice offered.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2008, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by miramac View Post
Hello, I was wondering how would I go about backing up my software. I just bought Final Cut Studio and so I just want to be sure that I have a backup copy just in case anything happened to the originals. I have a 250GB external HD that I was planning on using for the back up. From what I understand would I be doing the right thing by using Disk Utility to create a disk image of each one of the disks and saving it on the external HD? I noticed when I installed the first disk on my system it asked me to eject disk 1 and then insert disk 2 to proceed with the download. Will I still be able to do this if I was to use the HD? Is it as easy as double-clicking on the disk image of disk 2 when being prompted to insert the actual disk? I hope my question is clear and thanks in advance for any advice offered.
If you create a disk image using the CD/DVD master image format selected, you should be fine.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

kikkoman
Senior User
Aug 14, 2008, 03:10 PM

Mount all the disk images before you begin. You'll never get the dialog box.

miramac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2008, 06:11 PM

How do I mount all the disk images? Thanks for the reply btw.

Brass
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2008, 06:18 PM

double click them... (the same way you mount just one) or select all of them then choose the 'open' command.

miramac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2008, 06:33 PM

ok, so if I'm understanding correctly lets just say I wanted to re-install the program from the saved disk images I would just transfer the images to my desk top and open them all at the same time?

Brass
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2008, 10:41 PM

Yes... open them all, then you will have several virtual disks all mounted at the same time. Then run the installer.

When the installer needs the next disk, it will find that it is already mounted, and will not prompt you for it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules