Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > HTML email from within Hotmail or via 3rd-party application?

HTML email from within Hotmail or via 3rd-party application?
el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2008, 07:50 PM

Ok quick question...

I've never used html email before so I dont know how to do this.
Im trying to write html email...through hotmail. Using vista.... i kno

I figured Id need a 3rd party app that I could hook up to hotmail. But windows mail program wont do it. Does anyone got any ideas on where to start?

Cold Warrior
Dec 16, 2008, 08:32 PM

Isn't Hotmail always HTML anyway? It's through the web so I didn't think it'd give you any options.

Also this isn't about Windows specifically so I'm moving it to Applications.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2008, 08:56 PM

Several things to consider:

1) What kind of spam scores is your HTML email going to be assigned? I'd investigate

2) Is the HTML you are generating compliant and compatible with all major email clients and web-based email systems?

3) Are you offering a plain-text version to those that do not want or can't handle your HTML version?

4) If you are going to be using images, where are these going to be hosted? Since you can't host images on Hotmail, your spam scores are going to be very high if you reference images hosted on your own server since the envelope address information for your email will be associated with Hotmail

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2008, 09:08 PM

Hey besson, how can I do HTML emails from a CLI ?

-t

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2008, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Isn't Hotmail always HTML anyway? It's through the web so I didn't think it'd give you any options.
Hotmail uses an HTML interface to your email, but that doesn't meant the format it sends your email in is HTML.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2008, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Hey besson, how can I do HTML emails from a CLI ?

-t
With a text editor of your choice!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 16, 2008, 10:21 PM

But I want it WYSIWYG. In CLI.

-t

el chupacabra  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2008, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Several things to consider:

2) Is the HTML you are generating compliant and compatible with all major email clients and web-based email systems?

3) Are you offering a plain-text version to those that do not want or can't handle your HTML version?

4) If you are going to be using images, where are these going to be hosted? Since you can't host images on Hotmail, your spam scores are going to be very high if you reference images hosted on your own server since the envelope address information for your email will be associated with Hotmail
2)hotmail can open html email it just cant send them, at least I cant format it the way I like or embed images.

3) Im just sending these to friends and family who have hotmail so yes they can handle html.

4)part of the main reason is so I can add images that will be hosted on my server.
I don't know what spam scores are...
Im not worrying about my messages being sent to spam box since Im on the safe list of people I will send it too.

Since I cant write the html in hotmail I need to use an email client, which can use my hotmail address.

Forum Links
Forum Rules