Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Future of Darwin

Future of Darwin
mactropolis
Senior User
Jan 23, 2006, 03:12 AM

Hi,
With the final release of Mac OS X 10.4.4 officially for Intel, I was curious what Apple would do with the open-source foundation of the operating system, named Darwin. On the official Darwin website, it does recognize release 10.4.4 and has the equivalent Darwin 8.4, but for PowerPC only! Where is the Darwin 8.4 for Intel? Is Mac OS X 10.4.4 for Intel somehow 'less' open-source than its PowerPC brethren? A possible theory is that Apple is withholding or delaying the release of Darwin 8.4 for Intel as this was use the get the previous DTK OS X to run on PC's (by bootstrapping the full OS X onto the freely available Darwin x86 installer). But Apple can no longer claim OS X has an open-source foundation yet refuses to make available Darwin 8.4 for Intel. Myself and other software developers need this low-level access to OS X's guts to create Intel native kernel extensions and software drivers to be ready for shipping Intel Macs.

Any idea if/when we'll see Darwin 8.4 for Intel released on ADC?
Death To Extremists!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2006, 04:23 AM

Darwin has been available for x86 for a long time. I'm sure it will continue to be available in the future. Especially since the whole OS is going to x86 now, they'll make the source available so that people can work on the kernel as they always have.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

mactropolis  (op)
Senior User
Jan 23, 2006, 06:30 AM

Good to hear that Darwin for Intel likely wont quietly dissappear in the midnight breeze.....

But any idea when Darwin 8.4 for Intel might see the light of day? The Intel Mac's are allready shipping....
Death To Extremists!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2006, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by mactropolis
Myself and other software developers need this low-level access to OS X's guts to create Intel native kernel extensions and software drivers to be ready for shipping Intel Macs.

Ask Apple. They know; we don't.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2006, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by mactropolis
Hi,
With the final release of Mac OS X 10.4.4 officially for Intel, I was curious what Apple would do with the open-source foundation of the operating system, named Darwin. On the official Darwin website, it does recognize release 10.4.4 and has the equivalent Darwin 8.4, but for PowerPC only! Where is the Darwin 8.4 for Intel? Is Mac OS X 10.4.4 for Intel somehow 'less' open-source than its PowerPC brethren? A possible theory is that Apple is withholding or delaying the release of Darwin 8.4 for Intel as this was use the get the previous DTK OS X to run on PC's (by bootstrapping the full OS X onto the freely available Darwin x86 installer). But Apple can no longer claim OS X has an open-source foundation yet refuses to make available Darwin 8.4 for Intel. Myself and other software developers need this low-level access to OS X's guts to create Intel native kernel extensions and software drivers to be ready for shipping Intel Macs.

You are missing the point of "Open Source." The open source stuff is posted on the website you linked to. Technically, they are under no obligation whatsoever to inform people how to boot their Intel-based Macs. Releasing the source code for their Intel bootloader would give people information on how to load other operating systems (*Windows* cough* cough*), and they very well may be pushing that back as long as possible.

On the other hand, I think it usually takes them a while to post new stuff on there. I wouldn't be surprised if they are hand-pruning the x86 version of Darwin to make sure they don't release any information that will help people get OS X running on other x86 based machines.

There's all kinds of reasons I can think of for why the code hasn't been posted yet, and some are more nefarious than others. Don't jump to conclusions just because something hasn't happened yet.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules