Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Video-iPods and such nonscence...

Video-iPods and such nonscence...
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2004, 11:41 AM

Alright , i've heard a lot of ideas on rumour sites and forums, but the more i thought about this one the more ludicrous it seems.

"The video iPod. watch MP4s or your home movies on the go, anywhere anytime."

personally when i go out with my iPod.... to the gym, driving, on the train, i like to listen to music, but i dont shun the world around me to the extent that i confine my view to a 5" screen in my hands. I look at people around me.... people who spend most of their time with their heads in their book, on their computer screens or in their cubicles and the little time they have to actually 'look around' is quite precious, and i dont think sitting on a train staring at a 5" screen is a good idea. id rather have my iPod playing music while i enjoy sunlight and the world around me. u know ?

The fact that intel and Micro-fluffy are starting to push this idea is a bit beyond me, but then again these are the same ppl who hyped up 'tablet' PCs (which i predicted wouldnt take off either).

i Like the iPod the way it is !!! a dedicated music device. when i do own my own home, im not going to be investing in a stereo.... the music unit will be a single xxGB iPod, with a remote control(which will mirror my iPods menu system) hooked upto my 5.1 surround sound system. (picture it.... a white wall , with an iPod at the center in a glass niche in the wall). i dont need it to play video and i dont want it to play video.

From a marketing standpoint... why on earth would Apple want to invest in a video-iPod capability when only a handfull of cave-dwelling-geeks would buy ? and who , on top of that, would hardly ever even use the video capability ? The cost to produce and market such technology is not worth the low sales it will generate.

Portable video ? give me a break. DVD players in cars ? whos the genius who thought about that ?(sarcasm)

Video is primarily for indoors in my opinion. The world is quite interesting and i'd rather look at it than have some hollywood bs hiding it from me.

BUT....
the ability to have a video out(the yellow cable from the video, left n right audio, cable) wouldnt be too bad. hooking your iPod directly upto a TV (with sound, obviously) and sharing movies that way, would be nice...not GREAT, but nice.... but then again, there really isnt a market for that functionality.

Thought ? Comments ? Suggestion ?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2004, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
but then again, there really isnt a market for that functionality.
There is. Me.

Right now I'm sitting in an airport lounge, waiting for my flight which is delayed by an hour. At the least. Ok, they've got free wireless internet access here (yeah) but I'd love to have a small movie player with a decent battery life on me.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2004, 11:58 AM

Well then i guess Apple needs to make this device since you'll buy one. eh ?

get real now.... how many ppl find themselves in such a situation that they would readily drop $xxx on a device to keep them busy for a couple of hours (isnt that what laptops are for anyway ?)

Cheers.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2004, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
There is. Me.

Right now I'm sitting in an airport lounge, waiting for my flight which is delayed by an hour. At the least. Ok, they've got free wireless internet access here (yeah) but I'd love to have a small movie player with a decent battery life on me.
Dude, you sound like you need to get more expensive plane tickets. Then you'd get into the proper lounge where you can get massages by exotic virgin princesses and stuff.

I'm with Hawkeye on this. When you're out, be out.
Call me a Luddite, but it still amuses me when I see a group of friends walking down the road all talking on mobile phones and not to each other. Like, talk to the people you're with! Look at the environment you're in. The video will wait until that wet-outside-so-stay-inside kind of day.

Having said that, DVD screens in the back of cars are a good thing - tends to stop kids from saying "are we there yet?" every 30 seconds.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2004, 12:07 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
Dude, you sound like you need to get more expensive plane tickets.

I tried. My bank manager gave me that look and my credit card started smoking at the edges. Back to cattle class it was

Seriously though, I am sure it will happen sooner or later. I agree with the 'be aware of your environment' sentiment, in general, but right now I wouldn't mind a movie or two.

Link
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2004, 12:08 PM

There is. Me.

Me too! erm.. I'd love the video functionality for plugging into the livingroom tv!

Why not? iTunes music for main, go in the extras menu to get video or iphoto library (or the usual stuff), and either run it on your screen or send out on video out...

That'd work! Just make the audio out jack a 3 prong one (like what video cams use), and make an optional one (using the dock plug probably) that has s-video out

See the thing is, having it for a tv video player or an iphoto slideshow of sorts is great! if anything I'd make it so it either does a slideshow or a manual picture-by-picture thing... having it run on the internal screen as well would be a bonus for times you're at an airport.

In a case like that you really wouldn't need the ipod to be designed around the screen, if anything an internal 2" or 2.5" or whatever would work perfectly fine! The thing is, dumping it in the extras menu would make it transparent so to say.. use a cheap OLED and the ipod is still a great music player with almost nothing changed but a much nicer screen

Truth be told I think stuff like that would be fine.. it's when you come to using stuff that requires text input that you don't need an ipod -- you need a laptop or specific PDA.

For quick times where you're not going to be sitting for more than an hour or so, say an airport or something where you're going to get deadly bored.. and there's nothing 'natural' to observe (dentist's office, underground train, airport, etc), why not?

The ultimate ipod (but will probably not be made ever (or aa very long time):
* Same current style, headphone jack made into a 3 prong instead of 2 for video out (easily interchangable with a cheap video cam cord here)...
* Internal 802.11b for internet radio [no other reason comes to mind] stored within itunes playlists (or a radio playlist like itunes hehe)
* Internal am/fm/dab tuner :]
* video out port also having a backwards function of audio in/video in. That would be pure madness. Export your DV to the ipod off the bat This way you'd only have one jack but who's going to be wanting to listen and record at the same time anyway?
* The ability to playback that video/sync hehe.
* inline CF/SD/whatever SPECIFIC card reader (several small ones included and you choose which one to carry with your cam).

The market is there.. throwing something like that on the shelf for ~$599 would be cool People would buy it

It's essentially like a mini everything O_o You have music, video, photos.. Granted that every feature is a niche feature there's so many niche uses....

video people exporting their dv onto the ipod, photo people dropping their picts onto the ipod (already possible), music people saving high quality audio to their ipod, and of course playback of all 3.

Oh how I wish.
Aloha

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2004, 12:17 PM

I tried. My bank manager gave me that look and my credit card started smoking at the edges. Back to cattle class it was
Yeah, I hear ya. I only flew first once when I got a cheapo upgrade. I tell ya, them folks in first class got it real good. When I did it (long time ago), Heathrow first lounge actually had a bathroom attendant. Free sarnies, loads of TVs, on-ground trolly dollies... Basically the works.

Seriously though, I am sure it will happen sooner or later. I agree with the 'be aware of your environment' sentiment, in general, but right now I wouldn't mind a movie or two.
What? Are you saying chatting to us isn't interesting enough?

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2004, 12:25 PM

"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2004, 12:33 PM

I don't thinks the iPods HD is fast enough for DV is it? Anyway I don't know about that, I do think they should have a usb port so you could connect a camera that way instead of that beklin thing but whatever I probably would get that if I don't get a new camera with an HD when they come out.

Anyway yeah video iPod I keep wondering WHY iPods seem to me to be a lot more of a device that it's great when you want it out but most of the time you're not really interacting with it... that said I really want one of the new cheap ones if they come...

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2004, 12:49 PM

DVD players in cars ? whos the genius who thought about that ?(sarcasm)
I'll bet that "genius" has kids. I'd also wager that the aforementioned genius has relatives living more than an hour away from home.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2004, 01:31 PM

Yeah, no market.

That's why Sony's iPod/Video Player is selling like crazy in Japan

If that came here, I'd be all over it like white on rice.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2004, 01:51 PM

for me, i wouldnt want to watch video on a screen smaller than my laptop screen.

i wouldnt want to carry a portable movie playing device that was big enough to accomodate a 5" screen (the smallest i could picture using).

if the device could stream a ripped DVD movie to a TV via s-video cable or the like, i think thats a nice piece of functionality. but i dont think people want smaller screens. except for teh "oh look, lord of the rings on a 2.5" screen. how cute" factor.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2004, 02:33 PM

Popele will buy it because they can. It's that simple. Most people will buy anything just because it has more features, even if they don't need those features. So Apple has to start playing catch up, or people will chose other products over the ipod. I might not play videos all the time, but I could if I had a player that did so.

Chris

entrox
Senior User
Jan 5, 2004, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by starman:
Yeah, no market.

I wouldn't look at Japan for comparisons like that, since it seems inherently biased towards small electronic gadgets. Japanese are also wild after crazy imode phones and what not. If I look at the adoption of imode and similar gadgets here in Germany, I'd pretty much come to the conclusion that there is absolutely no market for geek-toys like that. There's at least one company that wants to give back their UMTS licence. Nobody needs video-on-demand everywhere and nobody except a few geeks needs a small device to watch videos on (and especially not for 600�!).

I honestly doubt Steve Jobs would ever approve a videoPod.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2004, 03:03 PM

Yeah, no market.

If that came here, I'd be all over it like white on rice.

Mike
Link ?

P.S.>> just cause the japs are doing it, dosent necessarily make it a good thing.

and umm... there are only so many cave-dwelling-geeks and techno-philes outside Japan.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jan 5, 2004 at 03:16 PM. )

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2004, 03:08 PM

Actually, I can see a fair few geeks wanting to view their "downloaded from P2P" material late at night under the covers (and they're gonna go blind doing that kind of thing anyways, so no big deal about the screen being small).

So it might actually sell some. Just not to me.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2004, 03:25 PM

Actually, I can see a fair few geeks wanting to view their "downloaded from P2P" material late at night under the covers (and they're gonna go blind doing that kind of thing anyways, so no big deal about the screen being small).

So it might actually sell some. Just not to me.
and they dont have a laptop, because ...... ?

want a portable video player ? get a laptop, a new dedicated device is unnecessary. to do such things as decode video(MPG, MPV< AVI, MP4,etc) or DVDs youre gonna need some serious horsepower, which means a cooling system and a longer battery life.

Someone considering this 'videoPod' has a choice to buy a low end laptop (maybe even second hand).... which do you think he will choose ?

portable video is not the same as portable audio. you can run, work out, etc with portable audio...you vision is uninhibited.Try doing the same with video (kidding). that level of portability is not needed for video.

The 'perfect' level of performance, quality and cost are already met with a device know as the portable computer.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2004, 03:36 PM

and they dont have a laptop, because ...... ?
Laptops are real hard to handle when you're under the covers stroking yourself and you're worrying about your mom walking in. Apparently.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2004, 04:32 PM

I'd be all over it like white on rice.
Racist!

/ end obligatory stupidity

--

Some rice is brown, you know.

/ end stupid snide comment

fizzlemynizzle
Senior User
Jan 5, 2004, 04:36 PM

P.S.>> just cause the japs are doing it, dosent necessarily make it a good thing.
Nice.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2004, 04:37 PM

Video headsets haven't been done just right yet.

Since Apple is in the business of doing things right, I wouldn't be surprised if they were looking into developing a consumer - level headset, with their close ties to display component manufacturers and all.

I tried the Sonys back in 1999 and was still positively surprised. As pointed out above, you obviously can't jog or read or multitask in any other way, like you can do with audio.

That's the point. The immersion blocks out the real world, a bit like sitting in the movies. A small screen won't do it and won't block out the too chatty neighbour in the next seat. Privacy.

Some companies have been developing the technology, so it isn't a lost promise just yet.

The technology will be getting smaller, until it vanishes. I don't expect screen size and audio quality to follow that roadmap.

J

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2004, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by fizzlemynizzle:
Nice.
Ummm... I never did get this.

Call someone from the UK a "Brit", it's OK.
Call someone from Japan a "Jap" or "Nip", it's frowned upon.

Someone please explain?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2004, 06:17 PM

There is. Me.

You're typing this on a 12" Powerbook? Eh?

How much more perfect can it get - provided they manage to get a six-hour battery life out of the thing eventually?

-s*

AB^2=BCxAC
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2004, 06:32 PM

My fiancee is constantly taking pictures and then we look through them together on the 1.3" LCD on her camera... Honestly, if a "video-pod" had a screen about the size of a 4x6, I'd love to tote around a little gallery of snapshots and homevideos, especially for times when I'm not at a computer to show a gallery. It makes sense for us.

I can imagine sharing pictures this way at family reunions and during the holidays. Because there aren't TVs or computers everywhere you go where you want to get a decent look at a roll of pictures or a home movie, and toting a laptop or a big binder of pictures isn't great sociall fun when you've got wine in one hand, little kids running around tables, and you don't want the time or effort to set up a big presentation. There are PC things like this but the reason I don't have one is because I'm pretty Apple-centric. I need things to behave nicely with OS X.
"I stand accused, just like you, for being born without a silver spoon." Richard Ashcroft

ckohler
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 5, 2004, 06:39 PM

A lot of people already watch short video clips on their cell phones. I certainly do. A video iPod makes sense to me. It wouldn't work unless Apple made it "one button" simple to put video on it, though.

entrox
Senior User
Jan 5, 2004, 06:49 PM

Ummm... I never did get this.

Call someone from Japan a "Jap" or "Nip", it's frowned upon.

Someone please explain?
Well, you don't go around and start calling Gemans "Germs", do you?

Oh. Hmm. Now that I think of it... it has a nice ring to it..

christ
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2004, 07:03 PM

Oh no it isn't! (Not for all Brits, anyway!)
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 5, 2004, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by entrox:
Well, you don't go around and start calling Gemans "Germs", do you?
That's just because the Sun tends to call us "Huns".

-s*

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2004, 11:24 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
That's just because the Sun tends to call us "Huns".

-s*
hahahahaha...
well i personally dont see anything wrong with ' Japs'. i didnt mean it in any negative way.So if you take it in a negative way, it's your problem.

dialo
Senior User
Jan 5, 2004, 11:53 PM

There is. Me.

A video ipod would just be a gimmick.

There's a reason for a portable DVD player, but that is basically a gimmick itself. Really, it's a reason to get a cheap laptop.

What would the masses play on this video ipod? I view a TON of video online, everything from davidlynch.com to cspan, and almost all video available legitimately and easily online is impossible or extremely difficult to play offline.

The content for a video ipod simply does not exist in abundance now.

And it's not comparable to music. You can't easily, legitimately or even remotely quickly rip a DVD like you can a CD. Very different situations.

disectamac
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2004, 01:11 AM

Portable video isn't for everyone. That doesnt mean there isnt a market for it. Dozens of manufacturers are developing portable video devices in many shapes, sizes and forms, from cellphones to portable DVD players to automobile LCD players etc because there is a market for it.

A portable video device makes all the sense in the world if you're the type that wants a portable video device.

Think of the possibilities of a such of device if it came from Apple.

It could serve as a digital photo album at the least and do more than just that.

It could have the capability of playing all Quicktime format files. From jpeg to mpeg to qtvr. The possibilites for practical application if it could play quicktime files at a minimum are enormous

Personally Im a strong advocate of portable video devices because I've replaced most of my Mp3 for music video. Not illegal downloads, not one. All of my video is recorded from television just like cassette tapes record off of FM radio. If I could take a video iPod around with me it would be great. Slap it on my dashboard and it would be great. Watch it on a plane or during a long wait, or travel to a house with a TV and plug it in, well, there are many uses. Those are mine. I'm sure others have their reasons.

Lastly I'm sure such a device from Apple wouldn't be limited to mp3 and .mov . who would want to see a nice screen like that not be used for other things such as to do planner, etc. Lets not mention newton. That was then this is now, theres a whole new era of portable digital devices comming and it would be a real shame if Apple were left behind with an mp3 iPod.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2004, 01:35 AM

hahahahaha...
well i personally dont see anything wrong with ' Japs'. i didnt mean it in any negative way.So if you take it in a negative way, it's your problem.
wow.

WOW.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2004, 02:18 AM

Originally posted by scaught:
wow.

WOW.
whats wrong with you ? im really not getting all this sensitivity over a shortening of a nationality ??!?!

Australian = ozzies
Britons = Brits
Americas = Yanks

so whats the big deal ?!!?

spatterson
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2004, 04:17 AM

Get you new iPod, 120gb, only for $1,000.00!!!

Lol...

Guess we have to wait till this afternoon...

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2004, 04:29 AM

toooo much coffeee.....<bluuurrrggg>

entrox
Senior User
Jan 6, 2004, 06:52 AM

whats wrong with you ? im really not getting all this sensitivity over a shortening of a nationality ??!?!

Australian = ozzies
Britons = Brits
Americas = Yanks

so whats the big deal ?!!?
Africans = Niggers
Asians = Gooks/Chinks
Germans = Krauts
Jews = Kikes

Get the point? "Jap" has been used in racist contexts in the past, so don't use it. Period.

OreoCookie
Jan 6, 2004, 07:18 AM

Well, I'd just like to be able to take some videos with me, connect the video iPod to a TV or monitor and watch the movie �_

Doesn't have to have a small screen to watch it, though.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jan 6, 2004, 07:23 AM

Originally posted by entrox:
Africans = Niggers
Asians = Gooks/Chinks
Germans = Krauts
Jews = Kikes

Get the point? "Jap" has been used in racist contexts in the past, so don't use it. Period.
"Nips" it is then.

entrox
Senior User
Jan 6, 2004, 07:32 AM

Well, it would make a lot more sense if the iPod was more modular (apart from a removable battery...). An add-on, which connects to the iPod and has a built in video decoder plus a sensible output to connect to a TV or a built-in screen wouldn't be that bad an idea. It would be a tremendous waste to have both a dedicated music player and a dedicated video player for 500� each. As I said earlier, only nerds, rich people and Japanese would buy both. Some kind of dock with a screen, into which you can plug an iPod seems more reasonable, considering you can get rid of the battery and hard-drive. This could be sold for 150� or so, although I doubt Apple would sell it that cheap (they charge that much for a freaking web-cam already).

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 6, 2004, 08:08 AM

*nevermind.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jan 6, 2004 at 08:25 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules