Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Ultimate iPhone App for File Transfer/Viewing/Storage/Management

Ultimate iPhone App for File Transfer/Viewing/Storage/Management
m021478
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2009, 04:18 AM

I've played around with quite a few file transfer apps such as Air Sharing, Breifcase, Readdledocs, ReachMyFile, FileMagnet, File Magic, Datacase, etc and I am having a difficult time figuring out which of these apps is the best option for file management on the iPhone??

I've search around quite a bit for a "definitive" comparison thread for iPhone file transfer apps, but I haven't really had any success...I'd love to start one here!!

Anyone care to weigh in on which App Store app you've chosen for file transfer/viewing/storage/management/etc on your iPhone?

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2009, 03:38 PM

I've gone with Air Sharing. Not for any particular reason, but I do find it a very rock-solid app that does what I need when I need it.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2009, 04:06 PM

I've used Files Lite on my iPhone, but I've found that Dropbox covers my needs almost entirely.

It's all via Safari, but they have a very nice iPhone-optimized version of the site, so I just have a shortcut to it on the iPhone springboard.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

gradient
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2009, 03:15 AM

I use Files and am generally happy with it, but I haven't experimented with many others so can't really offer much of a comparison between all the available options. Argh, how I wish Apple would implement a disc mode, wireless or otherwise, with storage space that could be accessed by all applications...........

raymcm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 24, 2009, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by m021478 View Post
I've played around with quite a few file transfer apps such as Air Sharing, Breifcase, Readdledocs, ReachMyFile, FileMagnet, File Magic, Datacase, etc and I am having a difficult time figuring out which of these apps is the best option for file management on the iPhone??

I've search around quite a bit for a "definitive" comparison thread for iPhone file transfer apps, but I haven't really had any success...I'd love to start one here!!

Anyone care to weigh in on which App Store app you've chosen for file transfer/viewing/storage/management/etc on your iPhone?

Did you come across any of them that would allow a hyperlink in a pdf file to open another pdf file in the same folder ?

I am interested in using mt iPhone to store service manuals which have an index page which opens various sections of the manual in this way.

I tried files lite and it does not allow me to click the link, but I think this is a linitation in Safari rather than anything else as even if I email the index.pdf and open it in Safati the links are not "clickable"

Dont get me wrong, I think the iPhone is a great little gadget, but any time I ever try to do anything half useful with it I find its always very time consuming and big compromises need to be made in functionality. I can easily do what I want on my blummin 4 year old in-car Sat Nav which runs WinCE but its just a bit big for my pocket.

Forum Links
Forum Rules