Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > High-end audio on PowerBook?

High-end audio on PowerBook?
CarbonG4
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2003, 09:43 PM

Hey, can someone explain to me what the advantages are (if any) when using high-end computer speakers on a PowerBook or iPod?

I'm considering the Logitech Z-560 400-Watt 4.1 set of speakers w/ sub vs. the much cheaper Logitech Z-640 70-Watt 5.1 set of speakers w/ sub.

What I don't understand is if you need a pro audio/sound card in order to take advantage of the Z-560's potential. Because I realize sound cards can get pretty expensive on the PC side, there has to be a reason... So, will the high-end set be worth the money when using directly plugged into either a PowerBook or an iPod?

Thank you for any knowledge
//Carbon

:: Carbon Themes v1.5 ::

toans
Dec 6, 2003, 10:49 PM

Well basically the Z-560s are a much better set of speakers...you are paying for a much more powerful subwoofer..

If you plug the Z-560s into a PB or iPod you can still have music playing through all of the speakers, it will just be the same channel (the front L and R channels will be played through the back speakers as well).

Where the Pro sound card comes in is mainly for movies and gaming. You won't be able to get 5.1 channel in movies or games with a PB.

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 7, 2003, 01:54 AM

You will need a device to output a digital audio signal from your Powerbook to take advantage of high-end speakers ('computer' speakers are not high-end). Plugging speakers into the headphone jack is not going to give you the best sound.

Search the forum for some threads covering this topic. www.m-audio.com would be a good place to start.

Forum Links
Forum Rules