Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > I want the option to have Safari open pages in a new tab by default!!1

I want the option to have Safari open pages in a new tab by default!!1
toans
Dec 25, 2003, 07:17 PM

It really annoys me how there doesn't seem to be an option in Safari to have it open new pages in a new tab, rather than a whole new browser window...I like to slouch back in my chair and this means I have to lean forward to the keybaord to hold command while I click on the link

Someone please correct me If i'm wrong...

DamnDJ
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 25, 2003, 07:27 PM

Originally posted by toans:
It really annoys me how there doesn't seem to be an option in Safari to have it open new pages in a new tab, rather than a whole new browser window...I like to slouch back in my chair and this means I have to lean forward to the keybaord to hold command while I click on the link

You can also right click on a link and select to open in a new tab. That's how I work it anyway.

toans  (op)
Dec 25, 2003, 07:40 PM

Lol I've never seen that...I spose I don't right click on links very often. Thanks for the suggestion...that will be a lot better than holding command

natan
Forum Regular
Dec 25, 2003, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by DamnDJ:
You can also right click on a link and select to open in a new tab. That's how I work it anyway.
Or just middle-click on the link�

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 25, 2003, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by natan:
Or just middle-click on the link�
This only works, of course, if your mouse has at least three buttons. Mine does, and it works great. Command-clicking the link does it too.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2003, 12:04 PM

I agree and have been suffering with you, we both need to leave feedback with Apple about this. This should be a default option in Safari in my opinion.
Apple II GS | Powerbook 165 | iMac Rev. A 96mb RAM| iBook G3 500mhz, 128mb RAM | Power Macintosh G5 1.6ghz, 2.25gb RAM | Black MacBook 2ghz, 2gb RAM | iPhone Rev. A 8gb HD

poocat
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2003, 11:31 PM

i'd check that box (if it was an option) right away. i mean, command click is ok, but living on a powerbook, i have no right click, and therefore wish it could be an option.

i always wondered why it wasn't.
strange choices.

pc.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2003, 11:50 PM

I haven't used it in a while, but doesn't IE left you click-hold and after a few seconds give you the options that would appear with right-click? That'd be a great addition for Safari.

Also missing in Safari are several options when you cntl-click on a page. IF I remember right, IE also had options like "open this page in a new window." I miss that one - doesn't anyone else?
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2003, 12:00 AM

You can use the Sticky Keys function of Mac OS X to make the Command key "pressed" until you press it again.
1. Turn on Sticky Keys (in the Universal Access pane of Sys Prefs.)
2. Press the Command key twice.
3. When you're done, press the Command key once.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 27, 2003, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by Love Calm Quiet:
I haven't used it in a while, but doesn't IE left you click-hold and after a few seconds give you the options that would appear with right-click? That'd be a great addition for Safari.

Also missing in Safari are several options when you cntl-click on a page. IF I remember right, IE also had options like "open this page in a new window." I miss that one - doesn't anyone else?
1. Yes, that would be a great addition to Safari (and also to the Finder)
2. What? Safari has that option. One neat option in IE for Windows that I sometimes pine for in Safari is the Open Page-style command. It sounds stupid, but it overrides the developer's code that tells the browser to open a new window. That feature rocks.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

fireside
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2003, 01:01 AM

i just want it to open pages that open in a new window to open up in a new tab, with that tab selected.

CatOne
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2003, 01:26 PM

Get a multi-button mouse.

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2003, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
i just want it to open pages that open in a new window to open up in a new tab, with that tab selected.
try saft:
http://haoli.dnsalias.com/
he has a version for 10.2, and one for 10.3 -- it does EXACTLY what you want.
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

jfinete
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2003, 09:47 PM

Unfortunately, some websites surround their links in JavaScript which prevents you from right-clicking on them. (Personally, I think web-designers who engage in such shenanigans should be castrated.) For those cases, it would be nice to have Safari force all new windows to open as a tab instead.

Forum Links
Forum Rules