Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Opinions needed: XBox vs PS2

Opinions needed: XBox vs PS2
Toyin
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2003, 10:53 PM

So I've decided to use some of my gift certificates and buy a gaming console. Initially I thought I would get the XBox but one of my favorite games was/is Grand Turismo, which I play infrequently at my in-laws.

I'm far from a gamer. I'm not crazy about sports games. The last few games that I've liked have been The Star Trek Voyager Elite Force, Baldurs Gate, and Diablo. My favorite game of all time was Wizardry 1,2,&3 which I played on my Apple 2 plus (but I was also 12years old). I'm so far behind in the gaming scene that I don't even know what type of games I'd prefer now.

I've also got a 42" Toshiba HDTV and I'd like to take advantage of that as well (I know the XBox has HD games, but not too sure about PS2)

I've checked a bunch of online reviews (and previous threads here) but wanted so more opinions. So what do y'all think?
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2003, 10:59 PM

Don't worry about the hardware specs. The games look the same on all of them really (PS2 sometimes has lower framerates then the other systems). Just look at the games you want and buy whatever system they are for.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Link
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2003, 11:01 PM

It's all about the games.

If your favorite games are xbox exclusive, that's what you want, otherwise grab a PS2.

I have an xbox.. truth be told I'm not terribly fond of it and none of the exclusives really took my attention, and so I have a gamecube now, too

The machine itself is fine.. nothing spectacular, I've never used or even needed the DVD capability, the music importing off of CDs is horribly slow ,however.

Xbox live is an extra as well. A full featured xbox vs a gamecube with everything (mem card, broadand adapter (instead of buying xbox live service since while the xbox has an adapter built in, it's useless otherwise), hrmm what else :shrug:

Comes out ALMOST the same depending on the circumstance, if not less, sure you get less storage but who cares?

PS2 is generally the same price as xbox, but many more games, especially japanese/anime stuff. Whatever your calling is..

I'd still say PS2
Aloha

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2003, 01:37 AM

You have a nice HDTV. Progressive scan on the Xbox in 720p is beautiful. But it is about games�most of them are on both. With PS2 you can have 480p, and with most of the games that are on both, you'll generally get crappier framerates and textures and effects most of the time. But it's all about the games, of course. If you're looking at a bunch of PS2 games that you want that are already on Xbox, then go with the Xbox.

Brien
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2003, 02:20 AM

It depends...

halo is on mac now, but the Xbox version is better IMHO, more stable.

So, I suppose it depend on wheter you like Final fantasy or Dead or Alive...

J/K, there are other games, pick a system which has a better selection to you.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2003, 02:31 AM

I have an Xbox. I don't really like it.

Although if you live in a cold climate in can double as a heater.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2003, 02:56 AM

ps2 + gt3 == hours and hours of fun .

Brien
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2003, 02:57 AM

Originally posted by spiky_dog:
Vice City rules so much it's not even funny.

toans
Dec 29, 2003, 03:02 AM

Ahh yes...but Grand Theft Auto 3 and Vice City are both soon coming to Xbox...makes the decision a little more difficult.

I'd say the xbox...because I can't stand the texture shimmering and the controllers on the PS2.

TubaMuffins
Senior User
Dec 29, 2003, 03:03 AM

Originally posted by spiky_dog:
on the downside it creates bad grades

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2003, 03:27 AM

Xbox has less games, crappy default controllers but better hardware. The PS2 is a no-brainer for this generation of consoles if you ask me.

Of course, you can always have more than one console. That's why we have both ps2 and gamecube.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2003, 04:17 AM

Don't get an Xbox based on Halo. That game is so friggin' overrated it is not even funny.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2003, 04:49 AM

ps2 + gt3 == hours and hours of fun
And Xbox + gt3 = hours and hours of fun in HDTV and Dolby Digital .

Click here for GTA:VC on my 9' screen

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

dracoleb
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2003, 04:53 AM

And Xbox + gt3 = hours and hours of fun in HDTV and Dolby Digital .

Mike
Which would be cool if they did make GT3 for XBox
"To create a new standard takes something that's not just a little bit different. It takes something that's really new and captures people's imaginations. Macintosh meets that standard"- Bill Gates

Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2003, 04:55 AM

Originally posted by dracoleb:
Which would be cool if they did make GT3 for XBox
http://xbox.ign.com/articles/457/457994p1.html

Ken Masters
Banned
Dec 29, 2003, 06:48 AM

I just got my nephew and friend a PS2 because I was very pleased with having owned one myself.

It has the most games, best games and much more of them games then the XBOX or the REJECT Gamecube.

XBOX has HD, which is great if you can fork out the money.

From my PS2 I use progressive scan for AV (AUS/JAP), much better picture than normal composite video in most TV's.

MAKE SURE your TV supports Progressive scan, I�m sure if you have a HD the specs would support it.

BTW, I�m looking forward to buying the next XBOX or PS2......Its all about the games.

Axo1ot1
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2003, 06:58 AM

Also think about weather you plan to do more playing with friends or more playing by yourself. If with friends, PS2 is probably a little better because they're a little more portable. If by yourself the XBox has xbox live.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2003, 07:29 AM

What about the GC? Like many, I think, I have the impression it's more of a kiddie-games console... But have heard that's not really true anymore. Do any of you agree?

My genre of choice is sports games. Do these look as good on the GC as they do on the other two?
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2003, 07:51 AM

Ok, I've owned a console from pretty much every generation since the megadrive and when it came to picking one this summer I went for the XBox.

As people have been saying, its about the games, and for this reason alone I'd have to recommend the XBox. If recent stories are anything to go by, Micro$oft have the money and are willing to throw it at companies to get exclusives reversed (see GTA:Double Pack) and to get the major games on their console.

Plus the XBox hardware is 2x as good as the PS2's.

If you are into geeky stuff you can chip your XBox and put linux on it, use it for playing DIVX's, IRC, in fact, you name it, you can do it, it is a PC after all.

Oh and by the way, to sort out the confusion, GT3 is Gran Turismo, only for PS2, and GTA is Grand Theft Auto. But anyways, Project Gotham 2 is much better than Gran Turismo 3.

I hate microsoft as much as the next guy but their games console kicks ass.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2003, 11:33 AM

I have a PS2 and a GameCube. My wife loves Mario games and I like Zelda (so does she), so we had to have a GC. Especially for the price they have them at now.

When a game is available for both consoles, I have to consider which one to rent based on the controllers. I find the controller for the GC is great for games that require one button pressed often (like A, especially), but the PS2 controller is more versitile.

My friend has a PS2 and an Xbox. He loves his Xbox. I like the hard drive in it, the built in networking and the graphics are nice. But the controllers are sh*t. The game selection is pretty good, but not as good as PS2.

I'll probably eventually own all three. Who knows.

What you should do is rent both consoles for a weekend each, fiddle with them, figure out which one you want from there.

Good luck.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

fat mac moron
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 29, 2003, 11:53 AM

I own all three consoles. They all have their pros & cons...

The PS2 has some really great games. It's essentially the "standard" to what other consoles are measured against.

The XBox is very versitile. The internal hard drive is really nice if you don't want to bother with memory sticks. Game selection is good, but less than what the PS2 has to offer.

The GameCube is actually one of the nicer consoles that I've owned. The controllers are fairly basic and fit in your hand better than that big honkin' XBox controller. I prefer the GameCube's controller over the PS2's also. It probably has the least games of all 3 consoles, but I like the exclusive Nintendo-only titles (Zelda, Metroid, Mario).

All the consoles are great, just figure out which one will make you the most happy. I personally couldn't decide so I bought all of `em. Remember that Sony is already working on a PS3, which may influence your decision...

Toyin  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2003, 12:18 PM

Thanks for all the replies so far. I'm leaning back towards the XBox. The speed of loading games and the hard drive seem to be pulling me in that direction. As for game selection, I'm a newbie. Since GTA (which everyone seems to be crazy about) is available for the XBox I think that and Halo will keep me busy for quite a while.

I think I'm going to take davesimondotcom's suggestion and rent the XBox to see if I like it.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
S.T. 1995

Aiglos
Forum Regular
Dec 29, 2003, 12:23 PM

I don't think the ps3 is out till early 2006, so i wouldn't consider it a factor.

If you like GT3 (Gran Turismo 3) then get the ps2. GT4 is coming out soon, hopefully with network play so I'm sure it'll rock on your 42" HDTV. The Xbox might look better on your TV though since PS2 has a problem with aliasing artifacts. MGS2 is the worst for this. Other than that the graphics are great. Silent HIll 3 has the best 3D models in any PS2 game I've seen so far.

fat mac moron
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 29, 2003, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by Aiglos:
I don't think the ps3 is out till early 2006, so i wouldn't consider it a factor.
Really?? I thought I read somewhere Sony was pushing for Christmas 2004 for the PS3. Has it been delayed?

Sony Playstation 3 "Longhorn Edition"

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2003, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by fat mac moron:
Really?? I thought I read somewhere Sony was pushing for Christmas 2004 for the PS3. Has it been delayed?

I thought it was somewhere in 2005. Pfffft. Who knows anymore.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2003, 02:09 PM

In reply to the xbox controller comments,

My xbox came with the official 'XBox Controller S', a smaller controller with better button layout.

I bought a used controller shortly after and got the old huge one, it really does suck.

I've heard loads of people say they like the xbox but hate the controller, i reckon the 'S' controller would change their minds.

I think all new xboxes come with the 'S' version anyways.

Toyin: If you are gonna rent an xbox, make sure it is one with the smaller controller.

Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2003, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by Toyin:
Halo will keep me busy for quite a while.
Unless you are missing half of your brain you will complete Halo in less then 9 hours so don't count on it keeping you busy.

Toyin  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2003, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Unless you are missing half of your brain you will complete Halo in less then 9 hours so don't count on it keeping you busy.
I'm really not good at video games

Anyone know a good place to rent the XBox? Blockbuster was a no go (checked during lunch)
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
S.T. 1995

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2003, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by Toyin:
I'm really not good at video games
It's cool. The multiplayer alone is worth the purchase of Halo. Especially if you get it for your PC or Mac (they can play together, and it's much more comfy with a mouse and keyboard). After playing through Halo, I can finally say I really enjoyed it, though I see where the complaints were coming from. The same repetitive rooms after another in some levels were a little irritating. But it was part of the story. What can ya do? It was still quite fun, if a little short. AI is great, graphics are cool (even without the pixel shaders, you can appreciate them), and the story kept me wanting to play.

Best way to describe it: It's a Bungie game. Right when I picked it up and was an hour in, I kept thinking, "Wow, this feels like a Bungie game." Weird, but cool.

Multiplayer is where it's at, though. Hot damn.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2003, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by fat mac moron:

Sony decided it would need to compete against whatever Nintendo puts out next year. (Nintendo realized it wasn't selling too much with it's GameCube so it's going to try and be the first in the next generation of consoles so it could lock up the market like Sony did when it got it's PlayStation 2 out almost a year before everyone else did.)

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2003, 05:05 PM

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/457/457994p1.html
gt3 is gran turismo 3. not grand theft auto 3. sorry

==> ps2. the choice is clear.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2003, 06:01 PM

What about a PSX? Are there any major hardware differences between that and the PS2?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2003, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
What about a PSX? Are there any major hardware differences between that and the PS2?
no, just the tivo-type features. gaming-wise it's a ps2, not a ps2.5, whatever that might be.

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2003, 08:58 PM

I recently got an Xbox and it also came with the smaller controllers which seem pretty good. I am a long long way from an expert thought (Halo 9 hours, ha, more like 9 weeks for me and thats before I even try the higher non default levels!)
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

Toyin  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2003, 10:40 PM

Okay, surfing both the XBox and PS2 sites and I come across Project Gotham Racing 2....
...then I had an epiphany:

XBox Website:

My Driveway

Now I've got to play this game
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
S.T. 1995

Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2003, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
After playing through Halo, I can finally say I really enjoyed it, though I see where the complaints were coming from.
The game was good but soooo damn repetitive. I mean it is the same 3 bad guys throughout the game and you go through the same room over and over and over!

Plus the controls for the Jeep are the WORST controls I have ever seen in any game.

Still a good game, not half as good as metroid as a single player though.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2003, 11:06 PM

like said above...its all about the games.
people who claim Xbox is better because of the graphics isn't opening their eyes to the fact that tech specs don't make or break a system. I've owned every major gaming console from the Sega Genesis...EXCCEPT the xbox (and saturn, but thats for another post...)
its all about the games, and Xbox just doesn't do it for me. If there is a MUST PLAY game, chances are good that it will come out for both systems...technically different? lookwise? audio wise? please...its a game, enjoy it for its funfactor and playability...not for if it makes a pretty screen saver on your TV.

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 29, 2003, 11:08 PM

If you like shooters use your computer. I hate them on consoles.

I'd go for a gamecube because it comes down to the controller and it has the best.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

samson1286
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2003, 12:50 AM

while i do love xbox and would recommend it to you in a heart beat. i have to let u know that not all toshiba hd tv's fully support 720p. many will take some 720p footage and upconvert it. however, that is not good enough for an xbox. if u have a tv like this and check 720p on ur settings on your xbox you will just get a black screen when sticking the game. although 480p is still beautiful and the system is definately worth purchasing.

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2003, 08:02 AM

Just so I know, what is a HDTV? I have never heard this term used here in Italy
iMac DVSE 400 640mb + AL PB 15" with 1 gig + iMac 2,8 with 4gb + MacBook Pro 2,53 with 4gb

Toyin  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2003, 08:08 AM

Originally posted by samson1286:
while i do love xbox and would recommend it to you in a heart beat. i have to let u know that not all toshiba hd tv's fully support 720p. many will take some 720p footage and upconvert it. however, that is not good enough for an xbox. if u have a tv like this and check 720p on ur settings on your xbox you will just get a black screen when sticking the game. although 480p is still beautiful and the system is definately worth purchasing.
Doh!! I've got the Toshiba 42H81. Quote from the owners manual "The ColorStream HD1 and HD2 jacks can be used with progressive (480p) or interlaced (480i,1080i) scan systems"

So as far as video quality both the Xbox and the PS2 use 480p right?
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
S.T. 1995

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2003, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by Mike Pither:
Just so I know, what is a HDTV? I have never heard this term used here in Italy
HDTV = High Definition TV.

Its like watching tv at a greater resolution.

starman
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2003, 11:28 AM

Hmm...gee whiz, what were the last two "games of the year"?

Oh, right...Halo and Knights of the Old Republic.

Oh, right...XBOX EXCLUSIVES.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Dec 30, 2003, 03:19 PM

The game was good but soooo damn repetitive. I mean it is the same 3 bad guys throughout the game and you go through the same room over and over and over!

Plus the controls for the Jeep are the WORST controls I have ever seen in any game.

Still a good game, not half as good as metroid as a single player though.
I can think of eight enemies off the top of my head. But yeah, I see what you mean. Hunters are my favorites. The AI was great, though.

Repetitive, yes. But still fun. I never experienced trying to control a Warthog on the Xbox version, and I'm glad. It's much easier on your Mac or PC, I imagine (is for me).

And I still enjoyed Metroid waaaay, way more than I did Halo, but that's not to say anything bad about Halo�I just think Metroid was much more fun in terms of single player experience (though they're completely different kinds of games to begin with). IMHO.

And Mike, those are the only two you can come up with? One he could get on his computer, and another that he'd have to be a Star Wars nerd to want to play? How is KotoR anyhow? Any fun?

insha
Senior User
Dec 30, 2003, 03:42 PM

I'll be redundant and say go with the system that has the most games you want/like.

I personally own an Xbox (with XBox Live) -- and the most of the games that I have, Halo (surprise, surprise), Rainbox Six 3, Crimson Skies, look awesome and have decent frame rates.

As for Xbox not having GT3, well, I saw the Project Gotham Racing 2 and I would say that it comes pretty damn close to GT3 on PS2 -- and GTA3/VC is already out for the Xbox and has much better graphics than it's counter part on PS2... IMO.

Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2003, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by starman:

Mike
Ya so? If he is not into those games that it can have all the awards in the world and he will not care. Personally I thought Halo was a waste at 9 hours to beat and Knights was boring.

insha
Senior User
Dec 30, 2003, 04:00 PM

Ya so? If he is not into those games that it can have all the awards in the world and he will not care. Personally I thought Halo was a waste at 9 hours to beat and Knights was boring.
Should have played it at Legendary intead of Easy difficulty setting; but I agree with you on Knights.

Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2003, 05:00 PM

Well according to IGN it was Final Fantasy x-2 and Zelda the Wind Walker.

Mike Pither
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 30, 2003, 07:33 PM

Why is the warthog easier to control on a puter or do you mean with a key board and not a game pad?
( Last edited by Mike Pither; Dec 31, 2003 at 04:27 AM. )

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2003, 09:03 PM

What happened to Zelda and Metroid Prime? Didn't those get awards?

Mike
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules