Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > the average age of pot smokers

the average age of pot smokers
clubmedia.com
Banned
Nov 19, 2002, 08:14 AM

in the U.S. it has supposedly gone up from 25 to age 31. what do you think?

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2002, 08:52 AM

Originally posted by clubmedia.com:
holy crap. I can't comment on US trends being from Ireland but I'd say here the average would definitely be < 25.

Korv
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 19, 2002, 01:17 PM

Originally posted by clubmedia.com:
Wouldn't suprise me one bit. I know my age has gone up from 20 to 26.

But seriously, I don't even smoke pot. However, I do know that we have a fair number of "lifers". I don't mean addicts or potheads, but people who enjoy a toke now and again throughout their entire life. I'd put money on the highest incedence rate of marajuana smokers being 18-21 (college), but even with a dramatically smaller incidence rate there can be a huge number of people between 25-80 who use. Especially with the increased awareness the last few years regarding the medical use of marijuana; most people who are prescibed marajuana for glaucoma, loss of apetite, or cancer will be well over your average of 31. Also, I would be curious as to how that statistic is generated. The D.A.R.E. statistics and other anti-drug agencies tend to be highly dubious. Is it a "once a drug user always a drug user" thing, as in, if you smoked up at 18, and now you are are 45 are you conted as a "pot smoker"?

I'd be interested in knowing the source of your statistic and how it was calculated, but to make a long story short, it wouldn't suprise me one bit if the average American pot smoker was 31.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 19, 2002, 04:07 PM

I'd be willing to bet on the higest number being college-age students. Just about everyone here either smokes a lot or a little. Very few people never smoke. Same with the 10 or so colleges I have visited friends at.

Jansar
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2002, 04:56 PM

World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

Forum Links
Forum Rules