Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > New used monitor

New used monitor
Bliss
Nov 4, 2000, 12:26 AM

I was given a Sony GDM 2036S monitor in non-working condition. I had it repaired several months ago for about $120 and have now gotten cable and macsync adapter from Griffen Technology. After a bit of playing around with the switches, the monitor "works" at 640 x 480 resolution, meaning I have a picture but it is not nearly as clear as my 17" Apple display.

The question now is, can I make it better by buying more vram or a PCI slot video card? Or is the problem internal to the monitor and do I need to bring it back to the shop? And is it worth the $$?

I am running a 7200/75 with 1 mb added vram.

The Wolfe
Nov 4, 2000, 02:16 AM

With the 7200/75 video controler and 1MB of VRAM, you should be able to do up to 1024X768 resolution in 8-bit color. If your sync adaptor has any switches on it, you may need to play around with them to get a higher resolution.

Regarding the picture quality - it may be a result of running at a crummy resolution/refresh rate (saying that it may be with the adaptor not being configed properly) or it may be that the display just isn't working correctly.

Check on the adaptor as a first step.

------------------
Eliott Wolfe
Winnetka, Calif

Riemert.NL
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 10, 2000, 10:56 AM

Each adapter has three settings with fixed
sizes (Sony and Philips that is) and one which has a sync option (so you can switch resolutions),should be on the paper slip or carton in which the adapter was sold

Forum Links
Forum Rules